Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series 2015

Started by TomM, January 05, 2015, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justaclone22

Use your best judgement coach. You know your kids better than anyone else. If you think he is of a varsity caliber, keep him home. Just make sure you are aware of his event numbers.

imnofish

I think coaches have to go with their best judgment and we all have to realize that situations can change at the drop of a hat.  I remember 2 kids from my old high school team (two different years, ancient history, different state) that were underclassmen without any varsity experience, yet got thrown into the regional at the last minute because the varsity kid got hurt.  Both surprised everyone by going to state and one placed third.  The other one was third the next year and won state his senior year.  These kids were good JV kids, but they had a few losses, so nobody expected this from them.  Another kid was JV until his Sr. year, but upset a 3 time state champ and qualified for state that year.  I'm sure there are lots of such cases out there, which shows that there are no guarantees in this sport, regardless of how well you know your kids. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

thequad

Some guys wrestle better in front of a crowd.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

imnofish

Quote from: thequad on January 17, 2015, 05:11:58 PM
Some guys wrestle better in front of a crowd.

So true!  Some guys can't win the wrestle off, but outperform the kid they can't beat, when they get a chance to compete.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

imnofish

...or narcissistic interpretations/judgments of others' actions.