Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series 2015

Started by TomM, January 05, 2015, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series 2015
(updated 1-5-2015)
  It's "Short Time"...WWCS Region meets are this weekend Saturday, January 10, 2015
167 Wisconsin High School Teams Have Entered as of 1-5-2015!!!
http://www.wiwrestling.com/wwca/challenge/2015.htm 
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

joeski

Are teams able to wrestle at any regional site, or just the one they are assigned too?

nutman

Joe,

It is assigned.

Go to this link and scroll to bottom... It will list the assigned regional.   http://www.wiwrestling.com/wwca/challenge/2015.htm

crossface21

It assigned, but you can wrestle at another site if needed. We are at the Sauk Prairie Varsity tournament that day and they've also run a JV tournament at the same time in the past that we've gone to, however they are hosting a Regional this year. It's been stated that we could wrestle out of our own Regional and wrestle at the Sauk Prairie Regional if we were attending that Varsity tournament. I don't know if that'll hold true in the future.

TomM

Quote from: crossface21 on January 05, 2015, 03:43:45 PM
It assigned, but you can wrestle at another site if needed. We are at the Sauk Prairie Varsity tournament that day and they've also run a JV tournament at the same time in the past that we've gone to, however they are hosting a Regional this year. It's been stated that we could wrestle out of our own Regional and wrestle at the Sauk Prairie Regional if we were attending that Varsity tournament. I don't know if that'll hold true in the future.

NO, Teams are NOT ALLOWED TO WRESTLE IN ANOTHER OR JUST ANY REGION EVENT. Teams MUST wrestle in the Region they are assigned to. Contracts for Varsity and JV teams for the Sauk Prairie event were already in place for this season when Sauk Prairie became a Region host.  Those and ONLY THOSE JV's were "grandfathered in" for ONE YEAR (This Year 14-15)
Other than that exception, teams may only wrestle in the assigned Region event.
Sincerely,
Tom McGarvie
Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series Coordinator

See: < http://www.wiwrestling.com/wwca/challenge/2015.htm > for more information.  Email trm@wiwrestling.com if you have questions.  This event is only open to WIAA school teams.

joeski

crossface21

Quote from: TomM on January 05, 2015, 06:13:36 PM

NO, Teams are NOT ALLOWED TO WRESTLE IN ANOTHER OR JUST ANY REGION EVENT. Teams MUST wrestle in the Region they are assigned to. Contracts for Varsity and JV teams for the Sauk Prairie event were already in place for this season when Sauk Prairie became a Region host.  Those and ONLY THOSE JV's were "grandfathered in" for ONE YEAR (This Year 14-15)
Sincerely,
Tom McGarvie

See: < http://www.wiwrestling.com/wwca/challenge/2015.htm > for more information.  Email trm@wiwrestling.com if you have questions.  This event is only open to WIAA school teams.

Thanks for posting Tom. I should have stated that from what I understood this was the case and that we wouldn't be sending JV after this year because of this. That's why I said I wasn't sure what was happening in the future.

TomM

Quote from: crossface21 on January 05, 2015, 08:25:09 PM

NO, Teams are NOT ALLOWED TO WRESTLE IN ANOTHER OR JUST ANY REGION EVENT. Teams MUST wrestle in the Region they are assigned to. Contracts for Varsity and JV teams for the Sauk Prairie event were already in place for this season when Sauk Prairie became a Region host.  Those and ONLY THOSE JV's were "grandfathered in" for ONE YEAR (This Year 14-15)
Sincerely,
Tom McGarvie

See: < http://www.wiwrestling.com/wwca/challenge/2015.htm > for more information.  Email trm@wiwrestling.com if you have questions.  This event is only open to WIAA school teams.

Thanks for posting Tom. I should have stated that from what I understood this was the case and that we wouldn't be sending JV after this year because of this. That's why I said I wasn't sure what was happening in the future.

No worries!! I'm glad people are talking about the Wisconsin Wrestling Championship Series.  Over 167 teams entered.  Biggest high school age wrestling tournament in the state aside from WIAA State series!

Troy Grindle

Sincerely,
Tom McGarvie

This is kind of crap.  So a kid who takes 4th place behind one of these "grandfathered teams" kids doesn't qualify because of a special circumstance?  Your regional should be your regional period.  We wouldn't do this for a varsity regional.  So the Sauk j.v. regional got that much tougher because they have had a large j.v. tournament full of higher end varsity and j.v. teams in the past and now all of those out of region teams can compete in the Sauk regional because why, teams don't want to split up their coaches?  Pay for a second bus?    
And then there was that.

TomM

Quote from: Troy Grindle on January 05, 2015, 09:58:49 PM

Sincerely,
Tom McGarvie

This is kind of crap.  So a kid who takes 4th place behind one of these "grandfathered teams" kids doesn't qualify because of a special circumstance?  Your regional should be your regional period.  We wouldn't do this for a varsity regional.  So the Sauk j.v. regional got that much tougher because they have had a large j.v. tournament full of higher end varsity and j.v. teams in the past and now all of those out of region teams can compete in the Sauk regional because why, teams don't want to split up their coaches?  Pay for a second bus?    

Hello Troy,
Nice to hear from you!
Thanks for asking these questions.
Every school with a facility large enough to hold the event (space for a minimum of six mats) in Region #5 that we were aware of, was contacted and asked/offered to be the host of the Region #5 event.  We made over 20 calls and contacts.  No school had their facility available or had other commitments and could not or did not wish to hold the event.  Sauk Prairie was already holding their Varsity/JV event (for years) and by chance found out we were looking for a site and came forward to volunteer to help solve the problem, offering to share their space and time and effort.  We feel fortunate to get a host within the Region at such a late date who was prepared to help out.  Contracts were already in place for their Varsity/JV event and those need to be honored.  This is not an event run by the WIAA.  Not all of the schools that have a varsity at Sauk Prairie will be entering a JV team.  Some will.  I do not have the exact number.
I hope this helps in understanding the situation and I am sure you can appreciate that as with the beginning of any event there will be some hurdles.  We hope it will be a great event for everyone involved and even more wrestlers in the future.
Thanks for your support.
Thanks,
Tom

crossface21

Quote from: Troy Grindle on January 05, 2015, 09:58:49 PM

Sincerely,
Tom McGarvie

I understand your point. But, I don't think comparing the Varsity Regional to the JV Regional would be fair. This is the first year of a brand new idea/concept and I think it's great. There are bound to be some bumps and things that need to be ironed out.  It's only for one year and I think the WWCA did a good job of overcoming that issue of the few teams that already had contracts signed and budgets/schedules taken care of.

imnofish

I think Troy was concerned about some kids losing an opportunity.  However, without Sauk Prairie hosting the Regional and/or an exception being made for a few teams already committed to be there, there would be much less opportunity for a greater number of kids.  Sometimes, you just have to focus on the big picture... 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

joeski

I think this series is an awesome idea, and opportunity for the "sub-varsity" wrestlers to get some recognition. Numbers wise, it should be larger at Sauk than anywhere else. Of the 18 teams in the varsity event, 17 are listed on j.v. team list, 2 are from the Sauk regional. Easy math here. 15 extra teams, now how many wrestlers they bring, and if they all still come to Sauk. Some of the teams may be going to there regional, and just happen to still be on the teams list. My guess is if you get out of here, you definitely deserve to. Good luck everyone, gonna be fun. But probably fairly late for this old guy :D

TomM

I believe the Sauk list on trackwrestling may contain names of all the Varsity teams there, but not all are entering their JV.  Just an FYI.

imnofish

It will all work out for the betterment of kids and wrestling.  This year is just the first step toward a tradition that is long overdue.  Kudos to all whom have made/will make this possible!
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!