Baseball Cards

Started by TomM, December 13, 2014, 10:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Where is a good source on internet to learn value of 'older' baseball and football cards?  Mostly Topps...  Anyone a collector?  I am just going through a box I have not opened for about 30 years. 
How can you tell if a card is a 'reprint'?  ie: Original printed in 50's and 'reprint' in late 60's/70's.... ?
Any 'pro' card collectors out there?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

easytopin

Beckett baseball magazine is a monthly publication which lists prices of all cards.  Most bookstores have them.  I have sold cards on ebay off an on for 15 years so they are a good source for the real value of cards.  What years of cards do you own, mine were from about 1962 on...anyway don't get hornswoggled on them....any questions you can pm me.

TomM

They are all from before I was 19 years old.
I have only gone through a small number of them.. maybe 40?  There are probably 500?.. give or take 100..
Mostly 1968 and 1972 so far. I imagine when I get further there will be other years.
The ones I suspect to be 'reprints' are from 1951 to 1955 or so... That is just a small number so far.
Most are baseball... some are football.
I will check for a Beckett magazine.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

littleguy301

Handle those card by the edge also.

some of the older cards will take on oils and if you have a nice one and a $$ one, you dont want those nasty spots on them.

ebay, I find is a really good source or anything it gives you a ballpark value.

Becketts or there are others to price cards.

Tom, if in good shape you could have some $$$ there no matter if it is a name guy or not.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

ougiqbxy

Used to be a "pro" collector.  Just recently (last month) gotten on ebay and bought a few cards.  Prices have fallen through the floor over the years.  For example, I just bought a excellent-near mint 1964 topps Frank Robinson for $7.00

Here's a site that averages what cards go for on auction sites:

http://freebaseballcardspriceguide.com/
"One man isn't any better than another, not because they are equal, but because they are intrinsically other, that there is no term of comparison."

Rupert Birkin in "Women in Love" by D. H. Lawrence