Deer Harvests anyone?

Started by Handles II, December 02, 2014, 09:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handles II

How did hunters do out there?
I was able to get a decent buck with my bow, and this past sunday, my oldest on his first hunting season, bagged a real dandy. 18 points, 21" spread. One shot. Bedded buck 135 yards in the woods. He did a great job and was actually sitting on my lap when he took the shot. Can't explain how happy I am for him.

Hope your hunts were a. safe b. successful in a variety of ways.

bigG

Bow reigns king in this neck of the woods. Weak gun season, but plenty of early bow action. My pal's wife shot a buck that scored 166.

Glad you had some great times with the boy.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Numbers down overall I am still going to hunt with the flintlock (waiting for few days for deer to get back to normal routines) I have several bucks still on camera two,of them 18-20" spreads but truth be told I am not really a horn Hunter I just like well cooked and butchered venison I did however in the interest of strengthening the herd pass on couple smallish bucks. I did take nice three year old 6 pointer with the bow early November. But tomorrow through Friday will sit and play the waiting game with my Virginia Flintlock and hope to get shot at a buck and I will sit for awhile Sunday Saturday will be watching wrestling.

HANDLESII that is what it's all,about the youngsters getting to get thier deer and you be able to share it what a great treat.

Handles II

Yeah, he was so nervous once we knew how big it was that he said "Dad, you shoot him! I can't, I'll miss!" I actually took the rifle and had the crosshairs on him and safety off, but stopped and said, "No, this is your buck, come here, sit on my lap (we were sitting behind an old fallen oak) we will settle down and you will make a good shot." Thankfully it all worked out.

He also surprised me when I was gutting it by saying "Dad, keep the heart, I want to eat it." Personally I've never kept the heart, my dad and most of the guys I hunt with don't either, so this was something new (he saw it on the hunting show "Meat Eater"). So I sliced it up that night, flour dredge, and pan fried it. I was quite impressed and it was amazingly tender. I'll do it again and play around with my seasonings a bit. I'm thinking something like Shore Lunch breading would be outstanding with it.

ramjet

That's awesome he will never forget.......

Pickled deer heart is indescribably delicious .............🍛

bigG

I think the heart of about any animal is delicious.

maggie

If ya didn't skin that heart, it will taste a lot different than if ya did...
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

bigG

Anything pickled tastes like pickle, to me. Not that I don't like it; just interesting to me how folks will say this and that pickled is good. Pickled gizzards, pickled heart; tastes like pickle. Good winter preservation technique, though. The only way I'll eat venison is canned (not pickled, though ;)).