Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

crossface49

sunrangereagle

neutral

(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

TomM

http://www.wdtimes.com/sports/local_sports/article_22cbad94-9815-11e4-bf60-23d3f3157e5e.html

Posted: Friday, January 9, 2015 11:59 am
By Kevin Wilson kevinw@wdtimes.com | 0 comments
Kevin Wilson
Posted on Jan 9, 2015by Kevin Wilson
For the first time all season, Watertown's wrestling team fielded a full lineup.
West Bend East could not say the same.
The Suns braved winter conditions that forced school closures around the state but only sent 11 wrestlers out to the mat. The host Goslings took full advantage in a 43-25 Wisconsin Little Ten Conference victory Thursday at WHS.
Senior heavyweight Alex Wendorf and junior Alexis Diaz (120 pounds) returned from injury and were two of nine Goslings to secure victories on the night.
"Having everybody in the lineup, having the confidence of having everybody in the lineup, it just makes everybody better in the room," Watertown co-wrestling coach Mark Bardenwerper said.
"Everybody's healthy right now. Technique-wise, we've just been drilling a lot more and just getting crisp with our technique. I can see a couple kids need a little crispness conditioning work. We'll definitely take care of that."
Watertown (1-3 in conference) ran into the strength of West Bend East's order in the first seven matches.
At 126, Bryce Henschel scored an 18-2 technical fall over Watertown's Jason Reince to put East up 5-0.
Freshman Clayton Goodman responded for the Goslings at 132, opening up a six-point lead over Manny Garrison before earning the pin with time winding down at 5 minutes, 48 seconds to put Watertown up 6-5.
"We had some huge matches," Bardenwerper said. "Clayton Goodman coming through after dominating and then getting a stick, that was one of the huge swing matches for us."
The Suns retook the lead when Gavin Forrester pinned Lucas Bridges at 1:40 of the 138-pound match.
Junior Nate Logan put his Granby Peterson roll move to good use again, opening up a 5-0 first period lead en route to a 7-2 decision over Andre Vargas. That cut East's lead to 11-9 but the Suns reeled off three straight wins.
Nick Moser pinned Watertown's Kole Marshall in :51.
Two-time state place winner Jordan Gundrum scored a 26-11 technical fall over Watertown freshman James Sippel.
Junior Kurtis Castellion led for most of the match against East's Matt Drezden, but ran out of gas by the end and lost a 14-12 decision in overtime at 170.
That made it 25-9 in favor of East but the Goslings would run the table over the next nine matches.
Senior Isaac Elsen stuck Evan Difford in 1:08 at 182. Then came the forfeits, giving senior Sam Maule (195), junior Keegan Preston (220) and Wendorf automatic wins that put the Goslings in front 33-25.
At 106, freshman Dillion Kuester won a 20-12 major decision over Alex Vickney.
"To have a 106-pounder who is healthy again and dig out a win for us, that was a huge swing match for us," Bardenwerper said. "Even our freshman (Sippel) giving up a tech (against Gundrum), that was big for us on paper."
Senior Taylor Foltz wrestled a match similar to Logan's and won a 9-2 decision over Brandon Miller.
In the final match at 120, Diaz traded back points time and again with Scott Badura but wrestled with the lead throughout the match and won 24-19. 
"I just like the way the guys are wrestling right now," Watertown co-wrestling coach Nick Ryan said. "Minus a couple of matches, I think all our guys are locked in right now. They are starting to see the results. You lose a couple of matches, it's easy to get down on yourself, but the guys are fighting through it. It's a young team. We've got good senior leadership. I love our seniors. Every day they are calling or texting me and telling me what's going on, telling me or coach (Bardenwerper), 'This guy's got to make weight.' They can teach these freshmen and sophomores and make them better."
Watertown wrestles at Verona Duals on Saturday.
WATERTOWN 43, WEST BEND EAST 25
106 — Kuester (W) major dec. Vickney (WBE) 20-12
113 — Foltz (W) dec. Miller (WBE) 9-2
120 — Diaz (W) dec. Badura (WBE) 24-19
*126 — Henschel (WBE) tech. fall Rience (W) 18-2
132 — Goodman (W) pinned Garrison (WBE) at 5:48
138 — Forrester (WBE) pinned Bridges (W) at 1:40
145 — Logan (W) dec. Vargas (WBE) 7-2
152 — Moser (WBE) pinned Marshall (W) at :51
160 — Gundrum (WBE) tech. fall Sippel (W) 22-9
170 — Drezden (WBE) dec. Castellion (W) 14-12 in OT
182 — Elsen (W) pinned Diffor (WBE) at 1:08
195 — Maule (W) received forfeit
220 — Preston (W) received forfeit
285 — Wendorf (W) received forfeit
© 2015 Watertown Daily Times Online . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

neutral

(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."