Words.... have any pet peeves?

Started by TomM, November 19, 2014, 08:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSnide

Quote from: bigG on November 24, 2014, 06:53:58 AM
I'm guessing every occupation has its own lingo. In education, they keep changing the words that have always meant the same thame thing. Now, the stuff you wanna teach kids are called "learning targets", groups of teachers sharing their stuff "professional learning communities."  Every few years we have to try to sound smarter by changing vocabulary and re-writing curriculum.

yeah, I really hate many of the "business" terms of my job.  "Drill down" is the latest cringe worthy buzzword.  Of course I went into a week long depression when I used the term "tertiary market" without thinking.  Its always tough for us oppositional types to realize we  stopped "hating the man" because we are now the establishment.   >:(
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

bigG

Power to that people, baby!!

Now, tens of thousand of acronyms are the vocabulary du jour. Sounds like military run down whenever teachers get together.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on November 24, 2014, 10:09:06 AM

Now, tens of thousand of acronyms are the vocabulary du jour. Sounds like military run down whenever teachers get together.

Always reminds me of this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_aiDDU5z18
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

DrSnide

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

bkraus

The one that drives me bonkers that students use is "co'd"...  Whenever they say it and I hear it, I always bring them the sweatshirt hanging over the back of my chair.  I get the weirdest looks, but then say "you said you were cold, so I thought I would bring you a sweatshirt."  ;D
Strive for Perfection

dad 2 5

"literally"

Has to be one of the most miss used words around right now.

littleguy301

Quote from: bigG on November 24, 2014, 10:09:06 AM

Power to the people, wasnt that a Public Enemy album name? Just asking ;)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

PE!

John Lennon also had a nice Power to the People. Not usually a Lennon fan (commie); but I liked some of his stuff.

littleguy301

Quote from: bigG on December 01, 2014, 06:15:22 AM
PE!

John Lennon also had a nice Power to the People. Not usually a Lennon fan (commie); but I liked some of his stuff.

wasnt a big Lennon fan, I think to most that is pretty un-friendly, just did not dig him much.

Though after I posted Public Enemy comment I couldnt help but getting into some Public Enemy. Not sure if they ever had a album "power to the people" but they had some songs that fit those words. Gosh, I forgot how many well known songs they have put out. PE wasnt the huge commerical rap band of some but man they have a catalog of some serious music.

I am sure that when PE gets brought up, there are some that blow them off as a rap band and have no interest but I bet those same people watched a movie or 2 and tap their respective feet to a groove/beat/song that PE threw down for that show/movie.

"He got game" is a very overlooked song in my opinion.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

Cool band, back in the day.

PE was real. Even though he had a tough upbringing, Lennon always seemed like the spoiled commie type. Talented writer, though.

Power to the People would ne be PE's best work, though.