Words.... have any pet peeves?

Started by TomM, November 19, 2014, 08:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrestlersdad

Another one that bothers me is the use of a word by a certain profession.  I think it is completely unprofessional for news reporters to refer to police officers as cops.  To me it sounds belittling and unprofessional.  I think they should be referred to as police officers in the media and shown the respect they deserve for a job most wouldnt even think about doing.
When opportunity comes, its too late to prepare.

bigG

I agree with the syntax thing; but have to disagree about it being a profession people think about doing. Last time we have an opening in our local cop shop, 170ish people applied; most were certified, too.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Yet, the "Thank A Cop" bumper stickers are very popular these days.  Kind of a mixed message for the public to digest?
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Like any profession. Good ones, bad ones.

Pretty decent police where I live. The State Patrol , I've noticed, always has great professionalism.

Dale Einerson

I prolly have a couple.

My latest peeve comes from the sports arena announcers and writers.  I heard it on the radio this morning...

"He romps into the endzone for a 10 yard touchdown run.  His fifteenth of the season."

What?  The guy has 15 10 yard touchdown runs this year?  Truly remarkable...and it comes from people hired to be professional wordsmiths.

On a related note, I always shake my head when an announcer feels a need, usually related to basketball, to point out that player X scored 11 of his 20 points in the 2nd half.  I would rather have dead air than that factoid.

wrestlersdad

On that note, my least favorite color commentataor, Troy Aikman, kept his rich tradition alive this past Sunday:

"The Eagles were 1-6 on 3rd down conversions in the first half.  It's hard to sustain a drive with that stat"

Gee thanks, Einstein!!!!!
When opportunity comes, its too late to prepare.

bigG

LOL!! I didn't notice that one. Love it.

One word drives me insane.

"Niche" is pronounced /niCH/, not /neesh/. It ain't French. Shakespeare coined this word.

Oooo but you sound so cool witchyer pretty French pronunciation. Reminds me of the scrubby-lookin' French model guy. Bahn Jer!

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on November 20, 2014, 02:09:57 PM
Like any profession. Good ones, bad ones.

Pretty decent police where I live. The State Patrol , I've noticed, always has great professionalism.

Several good friends and neighbors of mine are police officers.  Some in other communities, too.  Never known one of them who lacked a sense of civic duty or lacked compassion. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

I know most of my county and local police. Very good men; the lot of 'em.

imnofish

Quote from: wrestlersdad on November 20, 2014, 02:33:45 PM
On that note, my least favorite color commentataor, Troy Aikman, kept his rich tradition alive this past Sunday:

"The Eagles were 1-6 on 3rd down conversions in the first half.  It's hard to sustain a drive with that stat"

Gee thanks, Einstein!!!!!

Sports announcers do make some crazy mistakes, but I must admit that they don't have the luxury of the editing tools that we have on here.  Nonetheless, I will always remember my father telling me about our local radio sports announcer excitedly describing my big tackle on the "51 yard line."   ;D

TomM

cadre

Had an administrator use it, instead of 'committee' etc. after returning from some conference.  Sounds as if you are trying to be highbrow and you're not...
In my opinion... ... annoyed me.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Quote from: Dale Einerson on November 20, 2014, 02:25:10 PM
I prolly have a couple.

My latest peeve comes from the sports arena announcers and writers.  I heard it on the radio this morning...

"He romps into the endzone for a 10 yard touchdown run.  His fifteenth of the season."

What?  The guy has 15 10 yard touchdown runs this year?  Truly remarkable...and it comes from people hired to be professional wordsmiths.

On a related note, I always shake my head when an announcer feels a need, usually related to basketball, to point out that player X scored 11 of his 20 points in the 2nd half.  I would rather have dead air than that factoid.

You come up with a deeper point. Silent time, in broadcasting, teaching, counseling, is invaluable as it forces thought and consideration of the valid things said.

That and I can't stand Collinsworth. Not just his speech, I just can't stand the guy. Good thing we're not neighbors. :)

DrSnide

I get tired of the overuse of "literally"  - looking at you Biden

I literally want to.scream. ;D
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

bigG

I'm guessing every occupation has its own lingo. In education, they keep changing the words that have always meant the same thame thing. Now, the stuff you wanna teach kids are called "learning targets", groups of teachers sharing their stuff "professional learning communities."  Every few years we have to try to sound smarter by changing vocabulary and re-writing curriculum.

littleguy301

This is on subject but it is a tad off-color so "bare" with me on this.

I know these TV types on sports have to spice it up and use some interesting words while describing what is happening on the field whether it is TV or radio.

Words like "inappropriate term9" the QB into the ground while the defense is sacking him, maybe not the best choice.
Phrases like, "coming behind the crouching center to start counting" is probably something to reword.
Phrase like "he blew that hole" when a defense guy comes untouched on a blitz, also different words.

I think most of us understand what the annoucers are meaning but gosh darn if they would have said that on TV or radio back in the "Leave it to beaver" days they would all be out of jobs.

Also, this is the biggest pet peeves of mine in football, when a player takes a shot to the "privates", please announcers dont refer to it as a hamstring injury when the camera on that player clearly shows the player with both hands on his "privates" and rolling around in pain. Most people, men and women understand that what that player injuried was not a hamstring.

By the way, all of what I talked about happened this past Sunday in football.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet