Ready to Plow?

Started by imnofish, November 09, 2014, 08:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Quote from: imnofish on November 15, 2014, 06:41:41 PM
Finally got around to shoveling a foot or so of the white stuff from our large deck.   :P  Took about an hour, so once again I am glad that my ticker is in good shape.  Then my dog took me for a long hike.  Walking my dog has definitely been good for me, as well as the 15+ lbs I've lost. 

Good for you that's good lighter weight is always tough to maintain for me but I slip alittle then back to it walking with my dog also means carrying agun and shell vest great excersise really do not care if get anything or not.

littleguy301

I have proudly gotten in 3 serious snow plows now. This will get old if it keeps up in this pace!

I need a new cutting edge for the plow and some new skids, then I can say it is plow season. This is just pre-season plowing because the equipment isnt up to my full specs.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

TomM

Fortunate to have only about an inch of snow.  Cranked up the tractor and plowed...

ONE THING: I poured my driveway 14 years ago... one slab towards the road is a bit lower as it joins with the slab before it.  The blade will not glide over this 'curb'... this causes an ABRUPT STOP.. Yikes... (only one time of course)...
What do I do about that 'curb'?  I see city sidewalks where there is a 'lip' on a slab and it is painted orange to alert pedestrians.... I also sometimes see the edge has been 'cut' or 'shaved' down to an angle.  What tool is used for this?  Can I rent a piece of equipment or do I need to hire a contractor to 'cut' that edge down to an angle?
Ideas?
Thanks....
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

imnofish

Grind it down with a Brillo pad or an emery board.   ;)     Honestly, I have no idea how they do it, but if you have a tool rental place nearby, maybe they could give you some good advice and rent you the tool you need.  My driveway has a few of those speed bumps, too.  Really gets my attention, sometimes!   :o :o
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ramjet

Quote from: littleguy301 on November 16, 2014, 08:48:56 PM
I have proudly gotten in 3 serious snow plows now. This will get old if it keeps up in this pace!

I need a new cutting edge for the plow and some new skids, then I can say it is plow season. This is just pre-season plowing because the equipment isnt up to my full specs.

I have a fabricator making me a new 8 foot with 8" wings for the MUV should make short work of my plowing.

❄️⛄️

imnofish

Quote from: ramjet on November 17, 2014, 11:29:44 AM

I have a fabricator making me a new 8 foot with 8" wings for the MUV should make short work of my plowing.

❄️⛄️

Nice!  I got my plow for my ATV from a local iron worker who custom designs, builds, and installs them.  Works great, very durable, and much cheaper than the big name plows.  I wonder if they could just make a machine that automatically scrapes all the snow off, without human involvement; the automatic kitty litter box comes to mind.   :D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

TomM

Quote from: TomM on November 16, 2014, 10:06:09 PM
Fortunate to have only about an inch of snow.  Cranked up the tractor and plowed...

ONE THING: I poured my driveway 14 years ago... one slab towards the road is a bit lower as it joins with the slab before it.  The blade will not glide over this 'curb'... this causes an ABRUPT STOP.. Yikes... (only one time of course)...
What do I do about that 'curb'?  I see city sidewalks where there is a 'lip' on a slab and it is painted orange to alert pedestrians.... I also sometimes see the edge has been 'cut' or 'shaved' down to an angle.  What tool is used for this?  Can I rent a piece of equipment or do I need to hire a contractor to 'cut' that edge down to an angle?
Ideas?
Thanks....

littleguy... any thoughts on this?

imnofish

Tom, I think this might be just what you are looking for...             http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZO8jxKyddM

TomM

Thanks... that is the right track.  I have a grinder (not one of those huge pro ones)... I will look into that.  I think my raised edge is about four or five feet long.  I will have to measure tomorrow.

imnofish

Great!  If you have a tool rental service nearby, you might be able to rent the tools in the video.  Good luck!

TomM

Quote from: imnofish on November 19, 2014, 10:17:59 PM
Great!  If you have a tool rental service nearby, you might be able to rent the tools in the video.  Good luck!

I do landscaping and cut a lot of brick and block (pavers and wall block), but mostly with a stationary wet table saw with a beam draw blade.  I have cut some with a hammer and chisels and with a 7 or 8 inch circular saw.  The amount of dust is incredible.  I wear a mask and ear plugs and safety glasses. Appeared that guy only had glasses on.  Gotta be tough I guess.
I will check with rental places.  Thanks

littleguy301

Also tom,,,,,this may be some work but here it goes and my dad would be proud I posted this.

Get yourself a nice 6 foot pry bar and get under each side and stuff some material under the lower side. This means getting under the concrete and prying it up also. Suprisingly once you get a 6 foot pry bar under the slab it moves up pretty good.

The grinding idea looks good but remember that the concrete may be only 4 inches thick and you may grind off 1 inch and have 3 inches left. Not a big deal but there is a reason that it heaved and may continue.

I know maggie has some time on his hands and I bet he could hook you up for a new panel of concrete at some time.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

ramjet

Quote from: TomM on November 19, 2014, 09:41:10 PM
Quote from: TomM on November 16, 2014, 10:06:09 PM

Ideas?
Thanks....

littleguy... any thoughts on this?

pipe on the cutting edge of the plow allows the plow to glide over some objects yet still moves snow. I had some customer that mfg snow plows (names you would recognize) they suggested this so you are not pushing allot gravel into the yard.

but the slab needs a better has under it 6-12 inches of 3/8 limestone re-pour the slab

ramjet

Quote from: imnofish on November 17, 2014, 12:24:50 PM

❄️⛄️

Nice!  I got my plow for my ATV from a local iron worker who custom designs, builds, and installs them.  Works great, very durable, and much cheaper than the big name plows.  I wonder if they could just make a machine that automatically scrapes all the snow off, without human involvement; the automatic kitty litter box comes to mind.   :D

ha I was thinking about building a tracked radio controlled snow plow like30hp or there abouts a 6' plow then I could run it from inside the house.

imnofish

Quote from: ramjet on December 01, 2014, 09:26:16 AM
Quote from: imnofish on November 17, 2014, 12:24:50 PM

❄️⛄️

ha I was thinking about building a tracked radio controlled snow plow like30hp or there abouts a 6' plow then I could run it from inside the house.

Sounds perfect, just like my son-in-law's ice fishing method during football games.  He puts his tipups out where he can see them, while he's sitting in the living room watching football.