2014-2015 Season

Started by CLC FAN, November 07, 2014, 01:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLC FAN

The last season of the Central Lakeshore Conference!  Next year, wrestling along with us will be Reedsville, Mishicot, and Manitowoc Lutheran/Roncalli.

So, here is the scouting for the upcoming season.

Cedar Grove
Starters Returning: 7  Sectional Qualifiers Returning: 1  State Qualifiers Returning: 1
Key Losses: The Rockets graduated upperweight stalwarts Greg Wenzel and Matt Krier.  Also graduating was Devon Villareal, who always found himself in a tough weight class at conference and regionals but was a very solid. 
Incoming/Overlooked: The Rockets seem to have better numbers than in past years.  They return quite a few sophomores and skinfold tested a good number of freshmen as well.  Dan Gjertson has been behind some stud heavyweights for years, but he could have a breakout year in the conference this year.
Odds/Ends:  Cedar Grove is one of 3 CLC teams making the leap from DIII to DII.  They will end up in a regional with Sheboygan Falls, Kewaskum, and Oostburg (among others). 

Elkhart Lake/Howards Grove
Starters Returning: 7  Sectional Qualifiers Returning: 1  State Qualifiers Returning: 0
Key Losses:  None!
Incoming/Overlooked: Brock Bonebrake should not be overlooked.  He qualified for state in 2013 and was buried in a tough bracket last year.  This could be his year to win a conference title and get back to Madison.  The Resorters also bring back Trevor Rebedew who suffered a season ending injury mid-season last year.  I have no idea who they bring in from Howards Grove.   
Odds/Ends: Elkhart could be dangerous.  Go back and look at their duals last year and see how frequently they were ahead in wrestled matches.  If Howards Grove can supplement the 8 that the Resorters return, they might have a winning conference dual record. 

Oostburg
Starters Returning: 11  Sectional Qualifiers Returning: 3  State Qualifiers Returning: 1
Key Losses: Roman Katzer, Cody Mullikin, and Jordan Blok were all multiple year starters and big contributors for the Dutchmen. 
Incoming/Overlooked: Hackl and Rogers will be forces in the upperweights.  I don't know much about incoming freshmen, but Oostburg always has great numbers, and on the coaching side, former Ozaukee wrestler Ted Schannen is now teaching in Oostburg, so I would imagine he will find his way into the room for some assistance.
Odds/Ends: As mentioned above, Oostburg also moves up to DII this year.  In a year when the top two schools from last year lost a ton of talent, Oostburg's usual lineup of 14 above average starters may be enough to win the last CLC wrestling crown!

Ozaukee
Starters Returning: 9  Sectional Qualifiers Returning: 6  State Qualifiers Returning: 1
Key Losses: Colton Kraus, Cole Large, and Kevin Beckmann were all multiple year state placewinners.  Taz Gottsacker was a two-time state qualifier and also graduated. 
Incoming/Overlooked: Last year I said that Daniel Watry would end up in Madison before his career was over.  BOOM!  State qualifier the very next year!  So no pressure here, but... I think Collin Hughes and Sam Schuete are poised for breakout years for the Warriors.  Hughes has always been trapped behind state placewinners from other schools, and yet he's always fought his way to the 3rd place match at sectionals.  The last two years he's taken 4th at sectionals, so this year I predict him to bust through and make it to state.
Odds/Ends: This is not specifically about Ozaukee - just a note of interest.  People greatly overestimate the correlation between successful wrestling teams and successful football teams at a given high school.  Be that as it may, I would imagine that the Warriors CLC football championship might get some  more enthusiasm for boys sports in general? 

Random Lake
Starters Returning: 4  Sectional Qualifiers Returning: 4  State Qualifiers Returning: 3
Key Losses: Umm... everyone?  The 10 seniors who started at regionals altogether accumulated 11 state medals over their careers!  Contributing 7 of those medals were Brandon Depies and Reed Anklam. 
Incoming/Overlooked: The sophomore class this year had an understandably tough time cracking the lineup last year, but guys like Chris Mudlaff and Hunter Huiras did see some varsity action and did well.  Helton Vandenbush beat a state placewinner at sectionals last year, but came up one match short of qualifying for state.  I would bet on him making it this year
Odds/Ends: The Rams make for an interesting prediction conundrum this year.  They have super high-quality returners, but only 4 of them!  They were one of the best teams in DIII last year, but 71% of their team graduated!  If ever there was a team in a rebuilding year, the Rams are it.  I guess we will see how fast that rebuild happens.

Overall Thoughts:  This may be the most even this conference has been in the last 7 years or so.  Oostburg is super steady.  No Kissel-type standouts from last year, but almost no weak spots in their lineup.  Cedar Grove and Elkhart Lake seem headed for "up" years.  They could have the bodies and the talent to challenge anybody in the CLC.  Ozaukee and Random Lake seem to be down this year.  As always, numbers will play a huge factor.  Let's get this season started!

Ghetto

CLC is awesome. Wish he'd join the North Shore. They have math down here...
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

hasbeen

Thanks for the preview CLC. Very thorough! Any incoming freshmen of note that anyone knows of in the conference? ...Excited to get the season started.

hiptoss

good preview. interested to see what goes on. agree with hughes and vandenbush having good years. also good note to not overlook boneblack

hiptoss

Gutwrench

Cool.  Thanks CLC for the info.

I haven't been to the Sheboygan Press website for a while.  Has there been any good write-ups in there?

Gutwrench

I see Sean Mattek from Sheboygan Falls won the Marty Loy at 152.  Any relation to the Cedar Grove Mattek's?

hasbeen

Yes that would be son of State Champ Kurt Mattek.

Gutwrench

Wow!  That's cool.  Thx for the info.