Brewers trade for Adam Lind

Started by Houndhead, November 01, 2014, 04:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/281184141.html?ipad=y

I like this move. They get a starting 1st baseman in exchange for a player that was probably not in their plans for next year anyway.

bigoil

Quote from: Houndhead on November 01, 2014, 04:59:31 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/281184141.html?ipad=y

I like this move. They get a starting 1st baseman in exchange for a player that was probably not in their plans for next year anyway.
+1

neutral

(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Ghetto

Totally agree. They should get Tyler Thornburg back, who can fill the role. If Lind can provide 15 HR and a .270 batting average like his career numbers seem to show, then the Brewers stole him.

Estrada fills a spot formerly held by Carlos Villanueva, also a former Brewer.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Houndhead

Quote from: Ghetto on November 02, 2014, 08:36:32 AM
Totally agree. They should get Tyler Thornburg back, who can fill the role. If Lind can provide 15 HR and a .270 batting average like his career numbers seem to show, then the Brewers stole him.

Estrada fills a spot formerly held by Carlos Villanueva, also a former Brewer.

Villanueva has played for the Cubs the last two seasons.

Ghetto

Villanueva went from the Brewers to the Blue Jays. Same role in the rotation/pen.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

DrSnide

Hard to see a downside to the deal - basically gave up Estrada who is pretty expendable at this point.  Will still have to platoon at 1B but still a much needed upgrade.  Of course Lind's bad numbers against Lefties is probably pretty comprable to the "production" we were getting from 1B the last couple of years anyways.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Ghetto

I don't think Lind will platoon. I predict that Lind will play about 130 games or so at 1st, with Lucroy getting a few starts and random dudes filling the rest. The guy hit .321 in 96 games last year.

If he even comes close to his 2009 stat line...

.305   46 doubles   35 HRs    114 RBI

If he halves the homers and doubles, he's an upgrade by far. They traded very little to get him.

DrSnide

Quote from: Ghetto on November 03, 2014, 09:07:03 PM
I don't think Lind will platoon. I predict that Lind will play about 130 games or so at 1st, with Lucroy getting a few starts and random dudes filling the rest. The guy hit .321 in 96 games last year.

If he even comes close to his 2009 stat line...

.305   46 doubles   35 HRs    114 RBI

If he halves the homers and doubles, he's an upgrade by far. They traded very little to get him.

Linds splits snce that 2009 season.  He looks like a guy that needs a platoon. 

vs RHP: 432 AB .275/.327/.502/.829
vs LHP: 137 AB .117/.159/.182/.341

vs RHP: 359 AB .253/.303/.468/.771
vs LHP: 140 AB .243/.275/.364/.639

vs RHP 232 AB .276/.339/.457/.795
vs LHP 89 AB .202/.250/.303/.553

vs RHP 369 AB .309/.385/.539/.924
vs LHP 96 AB .208/.240/.333/.573

vs RHP 357 AB .354/.409/.533/.942
vs LHP 33 AB .061/.162/.061/.223

Ghetto

Who will he platoon with? There's no real option. Maybe Mark Reynolds and his .190 average can spot start against lefties to give Lind a break. I don't see the benefit.

neutral

Quote from: Ghetto on November 04, 2014, 08:06:14 AM
Who will he platoon with? There's no real option. Maybe Mark Reynolds and his .190 average can spot start against lefties to give Lind a break. I don't see the benefit.

If Lucroy is catching or taking a day off ... what about Herrerra?
1B, C, & SP/RP are the only positions he's not listed at - and if he can play the others ... he can play 1B better than anybody else who's been there since Prince.  He could be our super-duper utility player - getting 300+ ABs ... without a true position. 
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

DrSnide

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/99812968/brewers-grab-third-baseman-luis-jimenez-off-waivers-from-angels

Solid defender at 3rd base who has played some first who can back up Ramirez at 3B and split 1B with Lucroy against lefties?  Guessing he can at least hit .240 against lefties which would be an upgrade from both Lind and Reynolds - of course all he has to do is hit above .210 to do that.

Don't forget, Lind has a histoy of back problems - giving him one or two days off a week will probably be a good thing anyways - may as well do it against lefties where he struggles

Ghetto

Quote from: neutral on November 04, 2014, 09:39:05 AM

If Lucroy is catching or taking a day off ... what about Herrerra?
1B, C, & SP/RP are the only positions he's not listed at - and if he can play the others ... he can play 1B better than anybody else who's been there since Prince.  He could be our super-duper utility player - getting 300+ ABs ... without a true position. 

Elian Herrera? He's 5'10" tall. He's not playing first. He is, in my opinion, mediocre at best. His utility is nice, but he's not an answer for that many at bats.

Ghetto

Quote from: DrSnide on November 04, 2014, 10:29:35 AM

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/99812968/brewers-grab-third-baseman-luis-jimenez-off-waivers-from-angels

Solid defender at 3rd base who has played some first who can back up Ramirez at 3B and split 1B with Lucroy against lefties?  Guessing he can at least hit .240 against lefties which would be an upgrade from both Lind and Reynolds - of course all he has to do is hit above .210 to do that.

Don't forget, Lind has a histoy of back problems - giving him one or two days off a week will probably be a good thing anyways - may as well do it against lefties where he struggles

He's gonna have to be darn good in spring training. Because he's out of options, he has to make the Brewers big league squad out of spring training or he goes back on waivers.