My D1 Preseason Team Rankings

Started by Grant Peissig, October 30, 2014, 09:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Peissig

Maggie, your bold move of picking Milton to win it all got me going.  Rather than just say "you're wrong" I figured I'd throw my opinion out there and get some chatter going about the upcoming season.  Last year I predicited the following in the preseason: 1.) Kaukauna 2.) Bay Port 3.) Merrill 4.) Sauk Prairie 5.) Holmen.  If you don't believe me you can click on this link http://wiwrestling.info/index.php?topic=39089.0 and it will take you back in time to last fall.

With that being said, I feel fairly confident in my method of evaluating teams in the preseason.  Obviously we don't have skin fold info yet and we aren't sure if anyone is going to quit or get hurt, so you can only be so accurate.  I'm hoping CLC will weigh in with his moneyball analytics and for people who know about incoming freshman to speak up, I don't follow youth wrestling close enough to know who is in what grade.  I know that as a Coach I should probably just keep my mouth shut, but I'm going to channel my inner Askren and get the fans into it.  If you don't like my rankings, make your own and sign your name to it.  Here, we, go.........

1.) Kaukauna:  The Ghosts own the D1 Team State belt, return a pile of talent and therefore start the season #1.  Kaukauna loses some very good seniors from last year's state championship team, but seeing their JV team win a few varsity tournaments last season tells me that the cupboards are stocked with fox valley talent that will be able to fill out the lineup nicely.  They appear to be loaded in the light and middleweights with two Leon boys, two (possibly three - not sure if Zach will be a Freshman?) Lee boys, VanHandel, Frassetto, VandenHeuvel, Kloehn, and Shuhoski.  It will be interesting to see how their young upper weights develop, if any of the lightweights can get to 106 again this year, how they will sort out the log jam of talented wrestlers in the light and middleweights, and if they can make it two straight team state titles.

2.) Bay Port:  While I believe any of the teams ranked 2-7 could make the argument that they should be ranked #2, Bay Port gets the nod because of their state runner up finish last year, the number of quality wrestlers returning, and the fact that they have shown that their program has the ability to reload after being hit by significant losses to graduation.  The Pirates lose Chase Farr from the lightweights, but return the majority of their starters from 106-152.  Returning state qualifiers Andres (182) and VanDeWalle (285) will lead the upper weights along with VanEnkenvort (220) and another Kitslaar kid who had some wins in Fargo at 170.  Rumor has it that Alec Ingold, who accepted a football scholarship to Northern Illinois, will not be wrestling this season due to conditions of the scholarship.  Obviously Ingold is a very talented athlete and a great wrestler.  if he is in the mix he is the odds on favorite to win it all at 195 and is a major hammer in the Bay Port lineup.  Seeing how everything shakes out with him is possibly the biggest thing to keep an eye on early in the season and will no doubt impact how things end up in February & March.   

3.) Menomonie:  Here is the hard part - ranking your own team.  As I write this I am knocking on wood, throwing salt over my left shoulder and praying the rosary like my late Grandma Peissig did as she watched her grandsons compete in the state wrestling tournament as to not jinx our season.  I bring us in at #3 due to the way we finished last season and the talent that we bring back.  State placewinners Logan Schlough and Mason Stokke lead the way along with state qualifier Joe Ford. Josh Waddell, Hayden Schlough and Dylan Kadlec were wrestlers who spent most of the season ranked but missed out on the state tournament.  We have some more high quality wrestlers ready to roll, but I'm not quite dumb enough to give away all of my secrets voluntarily!   

4.) Stoughton: Zach Hasselberger, Colin Kraus and Joe Nelson give the Vikings 3 potential individual state champions and make them a legitimate contender for a team state title.  Complimenting the aforementioned studs in the lineup are Sectional placewinners Klein, Jenny, Model, Helland, and Benton.  I'm not sure if middle school standouts Dow and Spilde will be freshman this season, but if they are I would guess that they will be capable of stepping in and winning matches right away.  It looks like the rivalry between Milton and Stoughton will remain intense this year as they will battle with Sauk Prairie for the Badger Conference championship and most likely duke it out for the Team Sectional E title. I think they are as good as anybody from 106-152, but if there are too many holes in the upper weights it will eventually sink the Vikings ship.

5.) Milton: 5 returning state qualifiers lead the way for Milton this season as they look to be one of the top teams in the state.  The Shea brothers, Chesmore, Whitehead and Wileman all made it to the Kohl Center last February.  They will be joined by Gohlke, Pitzner, and McCarthy who also performed well in 2013-2014.   Overall, Milton was a very young team last season and experienced a great deal of success, if that youth matured over the offseason they will be a force to be reckoned with this year.

6.) Burlington: The Demons peaked at the right time last season and made a run to the team state semifinals before falling to eventual champion Kaukauna.  Josh Bird and Ben Hornickle give Burlington two contenders for individual state titles, while Shenkenberg, Iverson, and Teidt return after wrestling well a year ago.  I saw there was another Bird who placed high at the youth state tournament.  I'm not sure if he will be a freshman or not, If he is I would assume that he will step in and make some noise right away.

7.) Pulaski: It looks as though Pulaski and Bay Port will once again be neck and neck for the Fox River Classic Conference and Regional title.  The Raiders have the firepower to knock off the defending team state runner up lead by Seniors Kasey Caelwarts and Hunter Micolicheck.  Micolicheck took 4th at 285 last season and is the highest returning placewinner at 285.  Caelwarts had a great regular season but did not compete in the postseason, if he is is back at full strength this year he will be a tough matchup for anyone.  Prentice, May, and VanLaanen are back after state tournament appearances a year ago.  Clark, Gille, and Rassmussen were one win away from qualifying for state.  If this lineup comes together the way it could they will be a very dangerous team.

8.) Merrill: Arnie's crew is coming off an outstanding season which ended in a narrow defeat to the hands of Bay Port in the team state semifinals.  Seniors Mason Reinhardt and Scott Arneson will both be looking to finish their careers in style.  Joining them in the lineup are Welch, Schultz and Ball all of whom seemed to come on at the end of last season.  Merrill has one of the best coaching staffs in the state and they always seem to put a tough team on the mat, but it will be difficult to replace the senior class they had last year.  Only time will tell how the Blue Jays overcome the loss of Beyer, Nicholson, Pophal, Hintze, Klug, and Schmidt.

9.) Sauk Prairie: Sauk has become a staple in the top 10 over the past two seasons with back to back team state appearances.  The Eagles were hit pretty hard by graduation, but return a solid nucleus in Eddy Smith, Drew Fjoser, Austin Powell, and Gage Neumaier.  The Badger Conference will be very competitive this year with 3 teams in my preseason top 10 doing battle for the title.  No matter how the conference race ends up, Sauk Prairie still looks to be the favorite in Sectional C and will have a great opportunity to make it 3 straight trips to the team state tournament.

10.) Hudson: The Raiders have been a strong program for quite some time and this season should be no different.  Sawyer Massie is the only returning state qualifier in the lineup, but depth is what makes Hudson a top 10 team in my opinion.  Massie will be supported by Sectional placewinners Bronson and Klabon along with Matt Koski, Mitch Fanning, Dylan Anderson and Max Gierke all of whom have a ton of varsity experience under their belts.  Look for Sophomore Isac Schindler and Freshman Jacob Anderson to break into the lineup and be in the hunt for a state tournament berth come February.  We have had some great battles with these guys the past couple years and I would expect the same this time around.  If you are looking to catch a good dual come to Menomonie on December 18th and see who will get the inside track for the Big Rivers Conference title.

Honorable Mention: Wisconsin Rapids, Menomonee Falls, Cedarburg, Elkhorn, Holmen 

Troy Grindle

Nice breakdown grant.  The difference between 2-7 isn't much.  kaukauna has to be the preseason pick to win it but I think that milton will match up really well against them if they ever meet this year.  I didn't realize that pulaski had that much coming back, sounds like they will be a really solid team this year
And then there was that.

whatever

Very impressive analysis, Grant....I enjoyed reading it.

Good luck to you and your pops ;)
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

DarkKnight

nice assessment. Nice to know how the top D1 teams are shaping up...Its just Kaukauna's time, barring injuries and such.

I could do the same for D3, but i dont really know who to put #1. Its too close.

HMsDad

Quote from: DarkKnight on October 31, 2014, 09:35:50 AM
nice assessment. Nice to know how the top D1 teams are shaping up...Its just Kaukauna's time, barring injuries and such.

I could do the same for D3, but i dont really know who to put #1. Its too close.

Flip a coin.

wrestle03

I believe Zach Lee is a freshman at Kaukauna this year.  He is the real deal.  When its all said and done, I think he may be better than his brother Robert.  Kaukauna is loaded again.

Ino

Good work Grant, but you are to modest.  No doubt Menomonie should be at #2, Bayport graduated to much talent and could be ranked behind Pulaski. This could be the year Wi Rapids returns to team state.

Division 1 team state bracket:
Sectional D winner vs. Sectional H winner,
Sectional A winner vs. Sectional G winner,
Sectional B winner vs. Sectional F winner,
Sectional C winner vs. Sectional E winner

DarkKnight

Quote from: Ino on October 31, 2014, 11:38:27 AM
Good work Grant, but you are to modest.  No doubt Menomonie should be at #2, Bayport graduated to much talent and could be ranked behind Pulaski. This could be the year Wi Rapids returns to team state.

So where is Milton in relation to Menominie and Kaukauna? In the state bracket

DarkKnight

Quote from: HMsDad on October 31, 2014, 10:12:22 AM
Quote from: DarkKnight on October 31, 2014, 09:35:50 AM

Flip a coin.

I dont rely on coins to do my work haha.

I'll know more when the season starts... but i would put Stratford #1, Spring Valley #2, and Coleman #3.  Stratford has freshmen talent coming in, while Coleman lost 3 superstar seniors and bring in no freshmen talent. So its pretty close between these 3.

HMsDad

2015 Wrestling Assignments

updated 6/24/14

Regionals – Saturday, February 14
Team Sectionals – Tuesday, February 17
Sectionals - Saturday, February 21
State Individual Tournament - February 26-27-28, Kohl Center, UW-Madison
State Team Tournament - March 6-7 Fieldhouse, UW-Madison
(Sites may be changed as a result of schools dropping this sport or declining to host.)

DIVISION 1

SECTIONAL A - EAU CLAIRE NORTH

Team Sectional - Menomonie

REGIONAL I - RIVER FALLS- Chippewa Falls, Eau Claire Memorial, Eau Claire North, Hudson, Menomonie, New Richmond, River Falls, Superior.

REGIONAL II - MARSHFIELD - Antigo, D. C. Everest, Marshfield, Merrill, Rhinelander, Stevens Point, Wausau East, Wausau West.

SECTIONAL B - GREEN BAY WEST/SOUTHWEST

Team Sectional - Pulaski

REGIONAL I - GREEN BAY PREBLE/EAST - Ashwaubenon, Bay Port, De Pere, Green Bay Preble/Green Bay East, Green Bay West/ Southwest, Pulaski, Shawano Community, West De Pere.

REGIONAL II - NEW LONDON - Appleton East, Appleton North, Appleton West, Hortonville, Neenah, New London, Wisconsin Rapids Lincoln, Xavier/Saint Mary Central.

SECTIONAL C - MIDDLETON

Team Sectional - Baraboo

REGIONAL I - BARABOO - Baraboo, Holmen, La Crosse Central, La Crosse Logan, Onalaska, Reedsburg Area, Sauk Prairie, Tomah.

REGIONAL II - WAUNAKEE - DeForest, Madison East, Madison La Follette, Madison Memorial, Madison West, Middleton, Monona Grove/McFarland, Waunakee.

SECTIONAL D - KAUKAUNA

Team Sectional - Oshkosh North

REGIONAL I - MANITOWOC LINCOLN - Kaukauna, Kimberly, Manitowoc Lincoln, Port Washington, Sheboygan North, Sheboygan South, West Bend East, West Bend West.

REGIONAL II - BEAVER DAM - Beaver Dam, Fond du Lac, Hartford Union, Menasha, Oshkosh North, Oshkosh West, Plymouth, Slinger.

SECTIONAL E - SUN PRAIRIE

Team Sectional - Verona Area

REGIONAL I - STOUGHTON - Elkhorn Area, Fort Atkinson, Oconomowoc, Oregon, Stoughton, Sun Prairie, Verona Area, Watertown.

REGIONAL II - SITE NEEDED- Badger, Beloit Memorial, Delavan-Darien, Janesville Craig, Janesville Parker, Milton, Westosha Central, Wilmot Union.

SECTIONAL F - WAUKESHA WEST

Team Sectional - Mukwonago

REGIONAL I - KETTLE MORAINE - Brookfield Central, Brookfield East, Kettle Moraine, New Berlin West/New Berlin Eisenhower, Pewaukee, Waukesha North, Waukesha South, Waukesha West.

REGIONAL II - WEST ALLIS CENTRAL - Greendale, Greenfield, Mukwonago, Muskego, Waterford, West Allis Central, West Allis Nathan Hale, Whitnall.

SECTIONAL G - MENOMONEE FALLS

Team Sectional - Site Needed

REGIONAL I - SITE NEEDED- Arrowhead, Cedarburg, Germantown, Hamilton, Homestead, Menomonee Falls, Milwaukee Madison/Languages/Samuel Morse. Marshall, Milwaukee Vincent/Brown Deer.

REGIONAL II - NICOLET - Marquette Uni., Milwaukee King, Milwaukee Riverside University/Shorewood, Milwaukee Washington/Milwaukee Collegiate Academy, Nicolet, Pius XI, Wauwatosa West/ East, Whitefish Bay.

SECTIONAL H - BURLINGTON

Team Sectional - Site Needed

REGIONAL I - RACINE CASE - Burlington, Kenosha Bradford, Kenosha Indian Trail, Kenosha Tremper, Racine Case, Racine Horlick, Racine Park, Union Grove.

REGIONAL II - SITE NEEDED - Cudahy/Saint Francis/Saint Thomas More, Franklin, Milwaukee Bay View/Lifelong Learning/South, Milwaukee Bradley Technical, Milwaukee Hamilton, Milwaukee Pulaski/Arts/Juneau/Ronald Reagan, Oak Creek, South Milwaukee.

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: DarkKnight on October 31, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Menomonie would wrestle Kaukauna in the semis of team state if they both make it that far.

DarkKnight

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on October 31, 2014, 03:01:14 PM
Quote from: DarkKnight on October 31, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Menomonie would wrestle Kaukauna in the semis of team state if they both make it that far.

I see Milton, it is pretty concievable for Milton to make it to the state finals

Grant Peissig

I hope everything comes together for us so we can get a crack at the Ghosts in the semis, but we've got a long way to go to get there and have a lot of work to do to get to Kaukauna's level.  We toughened up our schedule this year by getting into the Cheesehead and scheduling some dual meets with Minnesota schools, most notably Simley who has won 9 of the last 10 Class AA MN state titles.  If we can get through healthy we should be battle tested by the end.

As for the bottom half of the team state bracket I think it comes down to Sectional E and Sectional B.  Stoughton and Milton look like they will meet in the Sectional E final and that will be one inappropriate term3 of a dual with some great potential matchups in the light to middle weights.  In sectional B Bay Port and Pulaski will battle it out at regionals and the winner will probably have to wrestle Rapids.  I had Rapids just outside my top 10, but keep and eye on them, something tells me that is a program that won't stay "down" for long.  Maggie just might get his wish with a Milton vs. Rapids rematch, but he will have to settle for the team state semis.

Grant Peissig

And if Zach Lee is a freshman Kaukauna is going to have a log jam of talent in the middle of their lineup.  Their depth is unreal.

Pheasant 1984

I love it! Coach is putting it out there!
You are only as good as you practice! Practice like a champion to become a champion!