Creature (birds, fox etc) Sightings

Started by TomM, October 28, 2014, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Walking in wetlands Sunday and a flock of about six Dark-eyed junco lite in a bush close to me.  I have seen pairs, but never a small flock.

(I'd spelled sightings incorrectly...)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Walking with my buddy along the woodline between the tillable and woods, he and I saw a fisher. Haunches, like seeing the devil. Now his bro-in-law is afraid to hunt there.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

Quote from: bigG on October 28, 2014, 05:57:51 PM
Walking with my buddy along the woodline between the tillable and woods, he and I saw a fisher. Haunches, like seeing the devil. Now his bro-in-law is afraid to hunt there.

Those things are hard on the small game populations. We have caught a couple on the trapline this year. Sucks having to set them free.

Dale Einerson

I see a flock of about 30 turkeys EVERY time I drive down highway D in Princeton.  On my way again soon today...

Saw Ricky Robertson on the live stream last night...one scary creature.

bigG

They don't just kill to eat. They kill to kill. They are brutal on small game. Little killin' machines. Still, I'd love to trap and have one mounted. nasty little teeth and all.

Houndhead

Quote from: Goat Roper on October 30, 2014, 08:58:11 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on October 30, 2014, 07:17:41 AM

Those things are hard on the small game populations. We have caught a couple on the trapline this year. Sucks having to set them free.

As my father-in-law used to say "It is only illegal if you get caught". 

My buddy says "only do what you can afford". I can't afford to be paying any fines.

bigG

ramjet

I think one the reasons our grouse population is down is those nasty little devils. their numbers are up.

bigG

Is there like massive raccoon, skunk, possum, etc. road kill by you guys , too. Like a small mammel record year.

badgerjohn

Twenty thousand creatures on State Street tonight   :o
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

TomM

Quote from: bigG on November 01, 2014, 09:24:59 AM
Is there like massive raccoon, skunk, possum, etc. road kill by you guys , too. Like a small mammel record year.
Noticing a large number of skunks too...not so much other species around here..(southern Wisconsin..between Madison and Milwaukee.)

bigG

Hwy. 27 between Sparta and Cashton, there's like a coon, skunk, possum, every few hundred feet, dotted by deer. Looks like a small mammal mass grave.

TomM

In last week I've been driving frequently in 'the country' and once to/from Milwaukee and Thursday 'to' and Saturday 'from' Green Bay... skunks predominate the road kill I've seen... some raccoons... don't think I saw a possum.
One thing I have noticed is a large number of cats scurrying across the roads... Don't remember seeing so many in the past.
Seeing more deer road kill in last week as well.

imnofish

Wow!  We've only seen/smelled one skunk (road kill) all summer up here.  Have seen fewer raccoons, deer, turkeys, this year too.  Darn squirrels are very abundant, however.  I think last winter really took a huge toll on many critters.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ramjet

Very good growingbyearbwith abundant moisture so creatures stay in the woods🐾🌿