Time to Revamp Student Testing

Started by imnofish, October 23, 2014, 11:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

Quote from: Ghetto on October 24, 2014, 10:34:52 AM
Quote from: wrestlersdad on October 24, 2014, 10:28:34 AM
Quote from: bigG on October 24, 2014, 09:08:53 AM
IMHO, we're teaching the kids to interview well, instead of teaching them to do the job well. That's what these tests do to education, me thinks. HUUUGE $$$$ behind all this. These days schools are compared using ACT scores and participation in ACT (all juniors will take it this year, though). Only 35% of my kids went 4 year last year. I bet 75% went tech college. Makes me look bad. Oh well, I'm not in it to please the state as much as the kids and their folks.

If only more of those in your profession felt the same way.

I think you'd find that most teachers are this way. Darn near all.

That's certainly my perception.  They really have no power in fashioning education policy.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Dale Einerson

Quote from: wrestlersdad on October 24, 2014, 10:28:34 AM
Quote from: bigG on October 24, 2014, 09:08:53 AM
IMHO, we're teaching the kids to interview well, instead of teaching them to do the job well. That's what these tests do to education, me thinks. HUUUGE $$$$ behind all this. These days schools are compared using ACT scores and participation in ACT (all juniors will take it this year, though). Only 35% of my kids went 4 year last year. I bet 75% went tech college. Makes me look bad. Oh well, I'm not in it to please the state as much as the kids and their folks.

If only more of those in your profession felt the same way.

Interesting perspective that I wouldn't have if I wasn't able to read the comments from educators, I appreciate your inputs.

Wrestlersdad, I, for one, believe that the 4 year school thing is far, far over-rated at this point.  So many graduating without a job in their major with huge school loans; rising tuition to get them to that point.

I was impressed that you have 110% output from your students though! ;)

wraslfan

All I know on this is that I am perfectly happy with the education my two boys received...and perfectly happy with the education my daughter is currently getting. One son probably under achieved academically. His (and my) fault. Not the fault of those who taught him. The other two had grades that were consistent with how they tested throughout all 12 years. It always seems to me like people want to blame the system, or change the way we educate when there does not appear to be an issue with how their taught. The problems as I see it are with the parents, and the students themselves that aren't willing to learn, or parents who do not hold their kids accountable. I made mistakes as a parent, but can thankfully say I did not blame their teachers for the mistakes I, or my kids made. 

wrestlersdad

My comment to BigG about more in the teaching profession was directed at his last statement
"Oh well, I'm not in it to please the state as much as the kids and their folks."

I wish more teachers had THAT attitude.  I have not seen that attitude reflected my the majority of teachers.  Some, yes.  The majority, no way.

Sorry if I was not clear and may have unintentionally offended someone.
When opportunity comes, its too late to prepare.

dman

Quote from: wraslfan on October 24, 2014, 11:46:23 AM
All I know on this is that I am perfectly happy with the education my two boys received...and perfectly happy with the education my daughter is currently getting. One son probably under achieved academically. His (and my) fault. Not the fault of those who taught him. The other two had grades that were consistent with how they tested throughout all 12 years. It always seems to me like people want to blame the system, or change the way we educate when there does not appear to be an issue with how their taught. The problems as I see it are with the parents, and the students themselves that aren't willing to learn, or parents who do not hold their kids accountable. I made mistakes as a parent, but can thankfully say I did not blame their teachers for the mistakes I, or my kids made. 

Couldn't agree more!

bigG

The state is, in the end, our "boss." Still are.

Thing is, I have to answer to the state per documentation. I have to answer to parents and kids to their faces.

I don't think it's an attitude so much as a healthy position my district endorses pretty well.

You're right about parents, though. You spend twice as much, easily, on those who have no positive parental influence.

Then again, you get other parents/kids, it's like autopilot.

Thanks to those good parents who I see taking other kids under their wing so absent fathers, and the like, don't put such a huge dent in a less fortunate kid's future.  Still some real mean and women left in this world. Don't believe all the bad news. There's plenty of good out there. Take a good look around next time you're at a wrestling tournament. Good stuff.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Handles II

Quote from: wrestlersdad on October 24, 2014, 11:54:33 AM
My comment to BigG about more in the teaching profession was directed at his last statement
"Oh well, I'm not in it to please the state as much as the kids and their folks."

I wish more teachers had THAT attitude.  I have not seen that attitude reflected my the majority of teachers.  Some, yes.  The majority, no way.

Your perception is flawed. Teachers must do what the state says to keep their license. Teachers teach because of and for the kids. Those who don't generally aren't in the profession more than a few years. More money, easier money elsewhere. So majority, correction, vast majority of teachers are in it to work with kids. 

bigG

Yup.

My district doesn't pay super great, but they are competitive, because instead of taking every step to look good through the state lens ( gotta do what ya gotta do) we hope have that kid BE good. If we're judged by how many go to 4 years, then we'll look pretty mediocre. If you look at who goes on to gainful employment and no societal leeching, we're pretty dang good. Good citizens don't need four years of university to be good citizens. Healthy and happy is the big goal.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ramjet

Quote from: Handles II on October 24, 2014, 12:32:05 PM
Quote from: wrestlersdad on October 24, 2014, 11:54:33 AM

Your perception is flawed. Teachers must do what the state says to keep their license. Teachers teach because of and for the kids. Those who don't generally aren't in the profession more than a few years. More money, easier money elsewhere. So majority, correction, vast majority of teachers are in it to work with kids. 

So no Teachers choose it because it's a career and they can make living then why not do it for free?

The only thing missing is the halo........👼

Ghetto

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ramjet

Quote from: Ghetto on October 24, 2014, 08:20:52 PM
I took mine off to polish it.  ;D

Better than pawning it........💫🙏

imnofish

Obviously, nobody on here works for free, but we all hope to have the ability to support our families through our labors.  That doesn't mean that we aren't motivated by the work we do and it certainly does not make us less of a professional in our field. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

MNbadger

I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

imnofish

Good read, MNbadger.  The author's assertions are consistent with my own observations, my training in school administration, as well as what I have heard from friends and relatives whom are school administrators. 

Handles II

+1000

Testing is way out of hand, and designed to do a few things 1. Make money 2. judge the teacher/school 3. judge the student.

I'll use my own 5th grade son as an example. September reading test he tested at an 8.1 grade level. Just got the January results back and he dropped to a 7.0 grade level.
I know he didn't get not smarter  ;). I know he can still read and comprehend as well today as he did in august. I asked him what happened. He said when they tested, the classroom through the wall were doing a hands-on project and it was kind of loud, and he couldn't concentrate.

This kind of stuff happens all the time, and it is a great example of why these tests actually have no meaning, other than a very general one.

If a state legislator got a look at his test, he would conclude that the school and teacher were not doing their jobs properly and could punish them.