Time to Revamp Student Testing

Started by imnofish, October 23, 2014, 11:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Ghetto

I don't know that we can revamp testing, keep it affordable, and still measure basic skills. The new version of the WKCE assumes so much with reading comprehension. My students are awesome at the basic skills of math, but struggle with reading comprehension. So on a word problem, if they don't know what the question is asking, they can't even get to the math. It's extremely frustrating to get scores back on kids who I know are pretty good at math, but their scores don't reflect it.

Testing should be for the kids and their parents anyway. Tying it to other things is silly to me.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

Are colons illegal in California or something?
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrestlersdad

Quote from: bigG on October 23, 2014, 01:15:20 PM
Are colons illegal in California or something?

No, I think most people have them   ;D
When opportunity comes, its too late to prepare.

bigG

Guess I put that right on the tee for you.

MNbadger

Just more money-making opportunities for some.
As a parent, the only tests I EVER cared about are the ones my daughters took in each of their classes given by their instructors and the ACT.  None of the others had or have any value or positive effect on their learning or their future. 
I deal with this crap every day and all it does is take away from my ability to teach students.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bigG

imnofish

imnofish

Quote from: MNbadger on October 23, 2014, 02:47:46 PM
Just more money-making opportunities for some.
As a parent, the only tests I EVER cared about are the ones my daughters took in each of their classes given by their instructors and the ACT.  None of the others had or have any value or positive effect on their learning or their future. 
I deal with this crap every day and all it does is take away from my ability to teach students.

+1000 

Ghetto

Quote from: imnofish on October 23, 2014, 11:55:43 AM
https://edpolicy.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/publications/accountability-college-and-career-readiness-developing-new-paradigm.pdf

Did you click on the link to the report?  What's your response to it?

That's way too much reading.  ;D

I think that testing is a huge money grab. The testing companies have to be laughing all the way to the bank with the switch to common core, because districts are all going to fall in line to get materials to conform to a new test. It's a backwards way of thinking. The testing services are constantly changing because they are all book publishers as well. Its a crazy good racket, because you can build demand just by doing something a little different. And now with the public shining a magnifying glass on education, districts almost have to conform because their bad scores will be all over some news outlet.

Teach. Teach good stuff. Challenge kids with ideas that expand their minds. Don't just teach standard 5.NF.A because it says you have to. That's my mindset. And certainly don't align your grading to the standards like we are doing in MPS. Its ridiculous. The problem with the newer tests isn't the tests. It's our (forced) reaction to them. Districts are afraid to look bad so they go along with the latest trend because they are scared that what they were doing doesn't work. Running scared is bad.

That said, when I get evaluated I will fall in line for that hour, because if I don't, all the sudden I'm a bad teacher and not doing what I am supposed to be doing. Then I'll go back to doing what I've always done.

bigG

IMHO, we're teaching the kids to interview well, instead of teaching them to do the job well. That's what these tests do to education, me thinks. HUUUGE $$$$ behind all this. These days schools are compared using ACT scores and participation in ACT (all juniors will take it this year, though). Only 35% of my kids went 4 year last year. I bet 75% went tech college. Makes me look bad. Oh well, I'm not in it to please the state as much as the kids and their folks.

MNbadger

I am fond of saying in regard to testing...

"you don't put a pig on the scale to make him gain weight"
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrestlersdad

Quote from: bigG on October 24, 2014, 09:08:53 AM
IMHO, we're teaching the kids to interview well, instead of teaching them to do the job well. That's what these tests do to education, me thinks. HUUUGE $$$$ behind all this. These days schools are compared using ACT scores and participation in ACT (all juniors will take it this year, though). Only 35% of my kids went 4 year last year. I bet 75% went tech college. Makes me look bad. Oh well, I'm not in it to please the state as much as the kids and their folks.

If only more of those in your profession felt the same way.
When opportunity comes, its too late to prepare.

Ghetto

Quote from: wrestlersdad on October 24, 2014, 10:28:34 AM
Quote from: bigG on October 24, 2014, 09:08:53 AM

If only more of those in your profession felt the same way.

I think you'd find that most teachers are this way. Darn near all.