Wisconsin Jellyfish Sighting

Started by imnofish, October 16, 2014, 12:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Handles II

We've got them in my parents tiny lake up in Bayfield Co. Gotta be there at the right time of the year and there are millions, then it seems a week or two later and they are gone. Either die or go deeper in the water column. Not sure which.

imnofish

It would be really cool to see them. 

Handles II

Got to see the jellys this weekend. Very few compared to most other times. It could be the rain/cold weather or I missed the "bloom" by a few days or was a bit early. Certainly is odd looking down in the water while fishing and seeing dozens of quarter sized jellyfish swimming (?) around the boat.

imnofish

Cool!  Ever notice the fish responding to them?

Handles II

No, I only really see them in deeper water, I snorkle in the lake quite a bit because it's fairly clear and like to watch the fish, and haven't noticed them ever in shallower (less than 10 feet +/-)  water, though I suppose they kind of 'have' to be there too (?).  So when I'm out fishing in the deeper stuff, I can see them in the top 3-4 feet of water but haven't seen any fish like bluegill or crappie feeding on them. Part of it might be that they are almost translucent, so they might be more visible against the darker background of the deep water than against the sand or vegetation? Not really sure.