I never thought I was a cat person

Started by Ghetto, October 13, 2014, 09:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

until this week.

My cat died today. Almost made it to 20. Lived a long life for sure, and he had it awesome.

I think when my dogs have died or have had to be put down, I was sad, but not crying sad. It might be because my kids are older and I worry about their reactions and sadness. 

Today is a bad day. Thankfully I have a student teacher.  :) :)

I am thankful he passed this morning without me having to give the euthanasia order. I said yes, then he passed on his own. Just one more way he made my life better/easier.

So I'm not even sure why I'm writing this on here. Just need to vent. Gotta share your feelings with the family.  ;)

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

TomM

Having a good thought for you and that kitty Dale. Sorry about your loss.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Anyone in your life for 20 years is gonna leave a mark. Great as it was, nothing like the hurt of losing a friend like that. Great you didn't have to put him down. Last dog I had to do that to ripped my heart clean out.

Glad you had a great cat. You deserve that.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Sounds like the cat deserved you. Lucky cat. That kind of lifespan is amazing though.

I taught a kid who raises St. bernards, and when my kids were little, she offered me a pup from the latest litter. I was pumped, until I found they usually last 7-10 years.

Glad you had decades of friendship.

littleguy301

it is all good Ghetto. No problem and I hope things get better for you.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DrSnide

Sorry about your loss Ghetto.  We lost our black lab earlier this year and I had to take a day off work and cried like a baby.  Felt no shame about it at all. My thought are with you and your family. 
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

DrSnide

Quote from: bigG on October 14, 2014, 06:38:43 AM
Sounds like the cat deserved you. Lucky cat. That kind of lifespan is amazing though.

I taught a kid who raises St. bernards, and when my kids were little, she offered me a pup from the latest litter. I was pumped, until I found they usually last 7-10 years.

Glad you had decades of friendship.

Same reason I won't get a Boxer.  Our Golden is 14 and I think is starting to get dementia.  Good news is he is still very happy and acting like a goofy puppy again.  Probably need funeral leave when he runs out of time, best dog I've ever known.  :'(
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Ghetto

Thanks to all of you. I do appreciate it.

Never realized the impact of an animal until this all happened.

wraslfan

I was on a fishing trip when my GSD died of bloat. Around 10 guys on the trip...still couldn't help it. Cried like a baby.

bigG

Not ashamed at all that I cried when I put my last dog down. Loved her dearly.

littleguy301

my son asked me some time ago if I would cry when digger dies. I never gave him a second and responded "like a baby!" He was shocked but I explained that it is alright to show emotion for things you love and care about.

Not long after that I ran over digger and my boy watched the tears flow down my cheeks and he knew I was talking the truth.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Ghetto

Quote from: littleguy301 on October 23, 2014, 08:12:46 PM
my son asked me some time ago if I would cry when digger dies. I never gave him a second and responded "like a baby!" He was shocked but I explained that it is alright to show emotion for things you love and care about.

Not long after that I ran over digger and my boy watched the tears flow down my cheeks and he knew I was talking the truth.

You are pretty awesome LG. Even if your driving skills are a bit shaky.  ;D

imnofish

Sorry that I didn't notice this earlier.  So sorry for your loss.  :'(

What a privilege to have a beloved pet in your life for 20 years!   8)  I had to make the call to put down a dog that we had for 15 years and a cat that we had for 17 years.  Both were very hard to do and I definitely cried, as did the rest of the family.  The cycle started over, with our current dog (3 years old) and cat (6years old).  I have to say that during retirement, you get even closer to your pets, because you have more time to spend with them.  They become your "retirement kids" and add a lot of enjoyment to your daily life.  After losing our older pets, I was convinced that I didn't want more of them.  My wife is a wise (and determined) woman who "surprised" me with the next generation of pets and I have often thanked her for ignoring my misguided wishes in this regard.  Here's hoping that you find the right pet to keep you company for the next 20 years... 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!