Fire Roenicke Now!

Started by easytopin, September 21, 2014, 11:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

Kirk Gibson's team lost almost 100 games this year.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

easytopin

And we will have as many playoff games as his team this year. Huge meltdown and it starts with leadership

easytopin

What is Mark waiting for...grrrrr

Ghetto

I think they are going to fire him, but I don't think they should. Do we really want a hard fire guy like Gibson? I don't see the personalities in the club house going for that. These guys aren't rah rah guys, and constant grinding from the manager doesn't work over 162 game season.

I'll say it again. With a healthy Ryan Braun this team makes the playoffs Nd likely wins the division.

TomM

Quote from: Ghetto on October 01, 2014, 10:58:13 PM
I think they are going to fire him, but I don't think they should. Do we really want a hard fire guy like Gibson? I don't see the personalities in the club house going for that. These guys aren't rah rah guys, and constant grinding from the manager doesn't work over 162 game season.

I'll say it again. With a healthy Ryan Braun this team makes the playoffs Nd likely wins the division.

Even a healthy Ryan Braun is 53 points lower in batting average and lower in homers etc (see below) now that he is off the juice (supposedly was and now is not...)... I still think it is somehow wrong that he is keeping that huge part of the payroll and producing a lot less than he was contracted for, due to his breaking rules (ie cheating).  If you can't tell, this bugs me.

Year Age G  ..AB  Runs..Hits..2B 3B HR ..RBI ..SB BB SO ...BA ..  ..OBP...SLG  OPS OPS+...TB   IBB Awards
2012 28 154 598 108 ..191 ..36 3 ...41  112 ...30 63 128  .319 .  .391   .595 .987 158      .356 15  All Star, MVP, S,MVP-2,Silver Slugger Award
2014 30 135 530 68  ...141.. 30 6... 19  ..81 . 11 41 113  .266 . . .324   .453 .777 114      ..240 3

BA -53 points
HR -22
hits -50
runs -40
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/braunry02.shtml
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

easytopin

Mark....What are you waiting for, obviously a change is needed after this giant collapse.  If you (Roenicke) could have played .500 ball the last 40 games we would be hosting a playoff game. But since you refuse to move runners and have the philosophy of swing at everything thrown you need to go.  Losing record from May 1st on you had plenty of time to right the ship.  Players play but they play within a coaches philosophy...How about doing the honorable thing and fall on your sword and resign!

Ghetto

Ryan Braun was not healthy all year.

dietac

Those stats would be telling if Braun was actually juicing in '12. He tested positive in '11 and was tested extensively in '12, so he wasn't juicing in '12. He is hurt this year, which is affecting his hitting.
George "The Animal" Steele

neutral

... and their biggest deficiency was at 1B - and that's on Melvin ... not Roenicke.

I dno't care one way or the other re: Roenicke.  I'm not sure he was a big part of the problem ... and I'm not sure he can be a part of the solution

If they're going to continue to assemble teams based on playing 81 games in Miller Park (which they kinda have to) ... they are going to need power bats - but they need to be at least a little more selective at the plate ... and significantly better defensively.  That doesn't happen overnight ... or without significant roster turnover.  It usually requires emphasis on these aspects in the minor leagues.

So - I say give Melvin & Roenicke 1 more power bat (with a decent avg+slug) ... and 1 more year - and if it doesn't work ... blow it up.

Adam LaRoche / 1B ... ?
Pablo Sandoval/ 3B?/1B? ... and let Ramirez walk? ... (while this goes against the "more selective" approach" ...
                                       he has a great contact rate ... & I'm intrigued by his hitting in Miller for 81 games +? per year)
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

Ghetto

The Brewers were above average on defense, weren't they? Reynolds and Overbay, while not great at the plate, were much better than Prince ever was at 1st. The problem is that they couldn't produce consistently on offense.

Scooter Gennett is an upgrade at 2nd.
Segura and Ramirez are above average.
Khris Davis has a little league arm, but can get to balls and is ok.
Gomez is the best CF in the game.
Braun is athletic, which makes him average.

I'm not sold on Davis in left. He's too short to play 1st, so they are stuck with him if they think he's got a good enough bat to play. I'd rather have Gerardo Parra, who can't be happy being a gold glover who rarely plays. I'd rather have him in left than Davis, though it's short term.

I'd have no issue with Adam LaRoche, but he strikes out a lot. They aren't even in the ballpark for Sandoval, and you want to talk about free swinging? He will swing at just about anything in the stadium.

Ramirez is great, but he's only worth the money if the Brewers are in a playoff run. I say they agree to the one year he has left.

TomM

Quote from: dietac on October 05, 2014, 10:38:03 PM
Those stats would be telling if Braun was actually juicing in '12. He tested positive in '11 and was tested extensively in '12, so he wasn't juicing in '12. He is hurt this year, which is affecting his hitting.

Do we know Braun was not 'juicing' all along?  
IMO
I think the 'sore thumb' is a bunch of baloney... That is just my opinion.  When you have been cheating big time, it is hard to be honest later is my suspicion...
I think he was using all along, but beating the system by what ever means.  Heck, he can afford the best.  
I don't have much time for overpaid athletes or for paying for their stadiums/arenas etc.
The Packers have become some sort of 'comfort noise' for me, otherwise I could care less... Then again I enjoy all the arguing that is done on 670 AM ... go figure.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

His thumb is an issue. He can't turn on balls. All year long he pushed balls to right field because he couldn't wrap the bat.

neutral

I think Braun can be a very proiductive hitter - but I'd like to see him at 1B (ideally).

The Sandoval thought was couched with the comment "while this goes against the "more selective" approach" - assuming they roll with the swing away approach for anotjher year or two ... and would only on a 2-3 year deal.

Without Weeks & Ramirez ... they could certainly afford him.  He won't cost any more than Ramirez ... just for an extra year or two.

2B-SS-3B defense is adequate ... no better.  Corner outfield & 1B is below average.  Only Lucroy & Gomez are above average defensively.

boowrestle

Just announced couple hrs ago they are keeping RR and have fired 1st base and hitting coach.
you can run but you cannot hide.

neutral

Quote from: boowrestle on October 10, 2014, 04:41:12 PM
Just announced couple hrs ago they are keeping RR and have fired 1st base and hitting coach.

Thay aught'a do it! ;) ???