Frank Torre passes away at 82

Started by TomM, September 13, 2014, 03:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

... Funny how the mind works... I grew up in Milwaukee and the Braves were a big deal, so of course I liked the Milwaukee Braves... was a fan... Then they moved and that was awful...  Being a real young fan and having a good memory, I knew of Frank Torre and most likely had a baseball card of his...
So, in my mind, I had seen Frank Torre play 'live'... but now looking at the dates of his playing career, there is almost no chance I ever watched him in person... Perhaps on TV once? (in black and white?)... but I am guessing not... Just my mind creating this idea that I saw him play... Just interesting I think...
(You may now go back to your regularly scheduled programming... )

Frank Torre passes away at 82
By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel Sept. 13, 2014 11:51 a.m.

Frank Torre, who played first base for the 1957 Milwaukee Braves team that won the World Series and was the older brother of Joe Torre, passed away Saturday at the age of 82.

Torre played for the Braves from 1956-'60 and for Philadelphia from 1962-'63. Signed by the Boston Braves as a free agent in 1951, he debuted in Milwaukee in 1956 and had his best years in the two seasons afterward.

In '57, Torre batted .272 with five home runs and 40 RBI, and tied a National League record by scoring six runs in the first game of a doubleheader on Sept. 2 against the Cubs at Wrigley Field. He homered twice in the World Series as the Braves topped the favored New York Yankees in seven games.

In 1958, Torre established career highs with a .309 batting average, six home runs and 55 RBI as the Braves repeated as NL champions. This time, they were defeated by the Yankees in a World Series rematch.

In his career, Torre played in 714 games, batting .273 with 13 home runs and 179 RBI. He was a difficult man to strike out, fanning only 64 times in 1,482 at-bats, and was an excellent fielder, often coming into games as a defensive replacement for Joe Adcock in games when he did not start.

In 1996, with brother Joe managing the Yankees to a World Series title, Frank underwent a heart transplant. He received the new heart on Oct. 25 and his brother's club won the crown the next night.

In 2006, it was reported that Frank needed a kidney transplant as a result of medication he had taken for his heart. A year later, he received a kidney from one of his daughters.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig issued the following statement on the passing of Torre:

"I am deeply saddened by the loss of Frank Torre, a close friend for nearly 60 years and a man who marked the start of a great baseball family. Before my career in baseball began, Frank and I formed a friendship that endured for decades, and I was touched to speak with him yesterday.

"Some of the fondest memories of my life involve Frank's Milwaukee Braves teams from 1956-1960, and his great play in the 1957 Fall Classic was one of the keys to bringing the World Series championship to my hometown. Frank's longtime support of the Baseball Assistance Team, which helps the members of the baseball family who are in need, was an illustration of how much he cared about our game and the people who are a part of it.

"On behalf of Major League Baseball, I extend my deepest condolences to Frank's children and grandchildren, to Joe and Ali Torre, to Frank's sisters and to his many friends and admirers throughout our game."
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"