keeps on ticking

Started by littleguy301, September 03, 2014, 08:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraslfan

Quote from: bigG on October 23, 2014, 02:58:58 PM
Something tells me Digger isn't a Fancy Feast pooch. Little Alpo might just hit the spot, though.
Not the foo foo stuff, just a big can of gravy train or Alpo. That's gourmet to my dogs...I buy them a can here and there, they act like you just gave them a steak. We feed the dogs pro plan normally, not the most expensive but not cheap either. The oldest dog we've owned only lived to 12.5 (Probably the breed...German Shepherds) I have a buddy that had 2 Goldens live to be 14 and all they were ever fed was Farm and Fleet dog food. Makes you wonder. (One died from drinking antifreeze he left in the garage...not old age)

bigG

My dog highly recommends the F&F cheap stuff.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DrSnide

Quote from: wraslfan on October 23, 2014, 03:08:32 PM
Something tells me Digger isn't a Fancy Feast pooch. Little Alpo might just hit the spot, though.
Not the foo foo stuff, just a big can of gravy train or Alpo. That's gourmet to my dogs...I buy them a can here and there, they act like you just gave them a steak. We feed the dogs pro plan normally, not the most expensive but not cheap either. The oldest dog we've owned only lived to 12.5 (Probably the breed...German Shepherds) I have a buddy that had 2 Goldens live to be 14 and all they were ever fed was Farm and Fleet dog food. Makes you wonder. (One died from drinking antifreeze he left in the garage...not old age)

my Golden is 14 and never had anything but Kibbles and Bits.  Turned his nose up at anything else.

And for what its worth, I would really wonder about anyone who didn't cry when a member for their furry family passes on....
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

wraslfan

Quote from: DrSnide on October 23, 2014, 03:56:12 PM
Quote from: wraslfan on October 23, 2014, 03:08:32 PM

my Golden is 14 and never had anything but Kibbles and Bits.  Turned his nose up at anything else.

And for what its worth, I would really wonder about anyone who didn't cry when a member for their furry family passes on....
Yea, I'm not one for public displays of any emotion though!  ;D The dog I have now (Bruno) is by far my favorite dog. Like LG says the once in a lifetime dog...I'm going to be a mess when he goes...I swore I wouldn't ever get that attached to a dog like I was to my last one  again. That didn't work out as planned. If I could clone Bruno, I'd have three of him in the house for the rest of my life.

My new Shepherd mix puppy is really smart, but an "Alpha" dog and is relentless on Bruno who is about as laid back of a dog as you could get. Every once in a while he'll lay into her, but not often enough to make her stop! It's the only negative to her so far. Not bad for a 4 month old pup.

bigG

My guy now is that dog, too. Can take him on a 40 hour road trip and pee once. He travels to well. Just loves being in the truck. Laying here by me right now. I can't even think about that day. A baby can eat his food and he's cool. We just know what each others' thinking. Wish I owned this guy in college.  :)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wraslfan

Quote from: bigG on October 23, 2014, 06:24:43 PM
My guy now is that dog, too. Can take him on a 40 hour road trip and pee once. He travels to well. Just loves being in the truck. Laying here by me right now. I can't even think about that day. A baby can eat his food and he's cool. We just know what each others' thinking. Wish I owned this guy in college.  :)
Bruno is the same way, I would not even think twice if anyone went in his food bowl. He'll even let another dog go in his food.
The pup used to growl when she ate. I make sure to constantly put my hands by her bowl now. She still stiffens up if you do...but much better. The vet said it should go away, she was severely underweight when we got her, once she realizes she'll be fed regularly, she should get over it, and she is.

littleguy301

Actually digger has skin allegries and he had some high end lamb food for his meals. He has had it since he was a pup and he still rocks it.

Digger loves cheese and I let the others out of the house and then I treat digger to some cheese.

We put him on a diet because of his shoulders and hips and cut him down 10 pounds. I dont like the idea that he is getting skinny and doesnt have the mass but he moves better and I just want his wanning years to be able to be pridefull.

story time: I let digger out last sunday morning at around 4 am. I went outside with him because he seemed to be wanting some "buddy" time. He did his business and with it being slick out he slipped and somewhat sat in his business. he was very upset and when we got into the house he just wouldnt sit down even though he wanted to. I gave him a quick bath and for the rest of the day he hung with me and would rub his head into my legs and we enjoyed some serious scratch time.

It is hard to see that his body is failing but man, his mind is as sharp as a tack and still has the personallity to boot ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

wraslfan

Quote from: littleguy301 on October 23, 2014, 08:10:15 PM

Actually digger has skin allegries and he had some high end lamb food for his meals. He has had it since he was a pup and he still rocks it.

Digger loves cheese and I let the others out of the house and then I treat digger to some cheese.

We put him on a diet because of his shoulders and hips and cut him down 10 pounds. I dont like the idea that he is getting skinny and doesnt have the mass but he moves better and I just want his wanning years to be able to be pridefull.

story time: I let digger out last sunday morning at around 4 am. I went outside with him because he seemed to be wanting some "buddy" time. He did his business and with it being slick out he slipped and somewhat sat in his business. he was very upset and when we got into the house he just wouldnt sit down even though he wanted to. I gave him a quick bath and for the rest of the day he hung with me and would rub his head into my legs and we enjoyed some serious scratch time.

It is hard to see that his body is failing but man, his mind is as sharp as a tack and still has the personallity to boot ;D
Do you think you'll get another big dog eventually?

littleguy301

well the time has come.

The big digger had an awful night last night. He was let out for some business last night and did not come back in. My wife is usually in charge of this and missed him at the door, it was NOT her fault on bit I should add. When I got up at 5 this morning no digger, so we both donned sweatshirts and flashlights to go look. Well I heard something and flashed the light in that direction and low and behold there he was. The problem was he was on the other side of the underground fence and he was getting shocked. Not sure how long he was there but I took off the collar and carried him back into the house. He gave me that look with his eyes and I knew something wasnt good. he drank some water and had some cheese but then he retired back to an area in the bedroom. He didnt move until my daughter took him into the vet this afternoon and I knew what they were going to say. I talked to the vet on the phone, talked to the wife and set the time for 8 am tommorrow morning.

Digger lost his will last night, he will snack and drink a tad for me but his stomach has bloated to twice the size and he is in pain.

My family had their tears tonight. It was a bright day today and I wore shades but at the end of the day I removed them to do paperwork in my work truck and I looked in the mirror and my eyes were all red and swollen. I was able to work alone today but my crew knew something was up but I did not let on.

Thanks to some much needed support from some friends I know it is going to be alright.

I will have to say, us wrestlers try to come across as some kind of tough guys but reading this thread, it sounds like we are a bunch of blathering cry babies ;D I say, even tough guys cry and I am sure some water works will be in order tommorrow for me.

I told my digger that I was going to mow the law twice in memory of him. He loved his yard and protected it very well so that is the least I can do.

Thanks guys for letting me type out some feelings on this thread over this past summer, it really has been a stress relieve for me.

Thanks ghetto, your lost hit the spot with me and thanks for the support.

littleguy301

Quote from: wraslfan on October 23, 2014, 08:28:57 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on October 23, 2014, 08:10:15 PM

Do you think you'll get another big dog eventually?

yes I did a year and a half ago, mini bulldog that is a cuddler and likes his picture taken and that is it for anything he does.

wraslfan

Really sorry to hear that, LG. He's had a great life, and being that he's such a good dog, he got to live in the right home...and you gave him the good life he deserved. It's going to be a hard day tomorrow, but the right thing to do for him.

DrSnide

LG, 

I am so very sorry to hear the bad news.  He sounds like a great dog and I know he will be missed greatly.  My thoughts are with you and Digger during what I am sure will be a very tough night and day tomorrow.  I'm giving my Max some extra roast beef and attention tonight now.  :'(

Hope you get through the next couple days as well as one can. 
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Ghetto

I enjoyed talking to you today LG as always. I hope that your son (and you) are able to make it through ok. Hope the boy goes through with his day and it's a good one. That would make the day a bit better.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

imnofish

LG, so sorry for your family's loss.  Digger was obviously a big part of your daily lives for a long time and had a unique, lovable personality that has been greatly appreciated.  Our pets add so much value to our lives and become true family members, which makes it so hard to see them go.  May your memories of Digger's special qualities and deeds be a source of comfort for you all. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!