Not as good as up north or near water, but... (my amateur feeder report)

Started by TomM, August 31, 2014, 08:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

I have about 12 bird feeders outside my living room window. (ok... overkill?...) and there is always lots of action. During summer I only fill the two closest sunflower seed feeders, the thistle feeder (not used much), the hummingbird feeder (hung on window with clear fluid), an oriole feeder (orange color fluid), oriole feeder with grape jelly and my 'upside down' suit feeder (fun to watch woodpeckers and finches/sparrows maybe hand upside down to peck at it).
The action:
Orioles; I still (even today) have a host of orioles.  There are at least four or more regulars (I can't tell most of them apart, but there are four distinctly different regulars now).  They use the oriole feeders and frequently sip from the hummingbird feeder on the window.  Every time they leave it, it bangs against the window.
Woodpecker; at the larger sunflower feeder and on the suit feeder.
Finches and chickadees; at the sunflower feeders all the time. There are a number of different types of finches.  Gold, purple (house) and others.  Too many English sparrows as well.
Morning Doves; all over the ground picking up the extras and just sitting around.
Hummingbirds; I can tell there are at least four different ones.  I like it when a pair swirls around each other while flying.
Cardinals; at the sunflower feeders often.
Blue Jays; also at sunflower feeder occasionally.
Couple of years ago I had some sort of warbler.
Then there is the occasional hawk crashing the party.  He's/She's not interested in seed.
In winter I go through a lot of regular bird feed in the other feeders...
The chipmunks take advantage of the feeders as well.  I discourage them... vigorously.
Sadly, my mountain ash died this spring and the cedar waxwings liked that tree.

Anyone else out there feed birds for the entertainment value?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

I find baked chicken entertaining.

I just have one little feeder; but the gold finches tear it up.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Handles II

My boys made a couple feeders, they resemble bird traps more than bird feeders, but they get the job done. Mostly however it seems the squirrels and deer get the feed. Quite a few cardinals even this summer, which was unusual.

imnofish

My wife feeds them, but I think it usually ends up fattening the squirrels mostly.  Our dog and cat sit by the patio door and get worked up watching the evil squirrels invade their domain.  Now THAT's entertaining!   ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Dump some chili powder in there. Birds don't taste it and squirrels sure do. :o

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on October 02, 2014, 09:44:21 PM
Dump some chili powder in there. Birds don't taste it and squirrels sure do. :o

Yowsa!  Does it affect the birds digestion? 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

Quite healthy. Lots of vitamin C and other healthy things; very good for the human heart. Seriously, they're unaffected. Think of the acid content of many of the berries they'll eat. Dang near kill you or me if we ate a bunch. The flavor would make that impossible for us, though. Capsaicin is just sauce for the (seed) taco. Read up a little. Just expect a little "exhaust" payback.  :) 50 cent thing of cayenne pepper will last you a year. Be sure to watch the squirrels when they first hit it.  :) you'll love the look you get. Use a bunch the first time around. Test it on one feeder that gets squirreled and tell me how it goes. I got some family that lives for this stuff. Bird freaks, maaaaan.  :)

I like 'em, but am a big fan of letting certain chunks of land go. Whooper-wills start coming back, etc. I do dig that. Got loons on Ft. McCoy.

imnofish

Love to see and hear the sandhill cranes up at our campsite near Hayward.  Don't see as many kingfishers as we used to, though. 

TomM

Many of them in the wetlands behind, to the east, of my house.  I am lucky.  See them every day... still around today.

imnofish

Quote from: TomM on October 26, 2014, 11:50:14 AM
Many of them in the wetlands behind, to the east, of my house.  I am lucky.  See them every day... still around today.

Kingfishers or sandhill cranes?

TomM

badgerjohn

"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

imnofish

bigG

Best meat around, also. Good year for birds and other critters. Seems like a record year for skunk racoons on the side fo the road.

Dale Einerson

I am a piker, I only have 7 feeders outside the window.  But, it is a great source of entertainment.  There are times when there are 5-6 dozen birds at once. 

I had orioles at the beginning of the summer, but not since...do you use the special oriole food and feeders?  In the past I attracted with the hummingbird food but not at all for a few months.

I am also light on the goldfinches, think I might have to upgrade the feeders with a finch feeder again.  Maybe I should add another pole and 3 feeders and only trail Tom by 2 feeders then...

Tom, have you tried this stuff called bark batter?  It is kind of the consistency of peanut butter and you spread it in a feeder that has holes drilled into it.  It has a cylinder of seed above it...has become one of the feeding destinations.

No squirrels or raccoons, which really surprises me.  Suspect the dogs have something to do with that...