Half way

Started by Houndhead, June 27, 2014, 07:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

The Brewers are half way through their schedule, and have the most wins in all of baseball at this point. I was hoping they would be a playoff contender. I never expected them to be this good at this point. A lot has gone right for them to this point in the season. K-rod found the fountain of youth(I still don't trust him. The bullpen has been good even without Henderson, who was supposed to be the closer. The platoon at 2B has been better than anyone hoped for. The starting pitching has been healthy and consistent. The Brewers have managed to avoid any long losing streaks. One 4 game skid and one 3 game skid. They have not been swept yet in a series. What moves would you make before the trade deadline to put them over the top. They do not have that top of the line starter like Kershaw, Wainright, or Felix Hernandez, but I would be very reluctant to give up what it would take to get David Price. You know we would not be able to keep him beyond next year. I would like to see an upgrade at 1B, but nobody available is a big improvement over the platoon of Reynolds and Overbay. Would you give up the farm for Price if you knew you would win a world series this year or next year?

beanertimm

I would like to see them give Jimmy Nelson a chance for the next few weeks to see what he can do.  If he doesn't look like he is ready to step in, I think they should look at Price.  The Brewers are not going to be perennial contenders, so when they have a shot they need to take it.  Price would be that true ace they would need in the playoffs and having a left hander to change things up a little doesn't hurt.  I am not sure he would want to stay long term or if the Brewers have the money to keep him, but I think they were in the running to keep both Sabathia and Greinke.  The fans of Milwaukee have a way of making players feel welcome, so that always helps.

Houndhead

Quote from: beanertimm on June 27, 2014, 07:59:29 AM
I would like to see them give Jimmy Nelson a chance for the next few weeks to see what he can do.  If he doesn't look like he is ready to step in, I think they should look at Price.  The Brewers are not going to be perennial contenders, so when they have a shot they need to take it.  Price would be that true ace they would need in the playoffs and having a left hander to change things up a little doesn't hurt.  I am not sure he would want to stay long term or if the Brewers have the money to keep him, but I think they were in the running to keep both Sabathia and Greinke.  The fans of Milwaukee have a way of making players feel welcome, so that always helps.

There is always the possibility of getting back what you give up by trading Price in the offseason or at the deadline next year.