College players Unionizing...

Started by maggie, March 26, 2014, 09:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Quote from: Dale Einerson on March 27, 2014, 10:05:48 AM
And while you goof folks argue about the benefit of unions and how they should be perceived, the NCAA is a perilous step closer to dropping wrestling.

This is not an argument about pros and cons of unions,  instead, it is a discussion regarding who gets the gains of trade. It is an economic discussion.  The union is just a vehicle. 

I suggest that as NCAA football and basketball players take more gains of trade, the non - revenue generating sports will be forced out.

do you have any suggestions other than some of the obvious?

wraslfan

Quote from: imnofish on March 27, 2014, 11:45:53 AM
Quote from: wraslfan on March 27, 2014, 08:05:06 AM
Quote from: maggie on March 27, 2014, 07:07:14 AM
Lol...common fan, tell me what you did non union that paid you more than a union pays it's workers...I don't happen to believe ya... :)
I drove truck. Look it up, there are two major carriers that are non union and pay above union wages.

So, if there was no union companies for them to compete with, what do you think would happen to the level of wage offered by them?
I have been on record numerous times acknowledging that. I have soured to unions only lately, although still symathetic to the union worker. Hard to balme them for the stupidity of their union heads.

imnofish

Getting back to the original topic, I totally disagree with the unionization of college athletes.  Too much potential for unintended, negative, ripple effects throughout the athletic and academic funding systems upon which these institutions rely.  If the kid is getting a scholarship, that should be enough compensation.  If not, then they are involved for the joy of participation.  Whether or not an athlete's individual circumstance makes that participation worthwhile is up the him/her.  Turning athletes into employees runs contrary to the original intent of college attendance.  Once again, greed infused into a system will increase the potential for the system's subversion and ultimate implosion, IMO. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

dman

I agree that players should not unionize!  They are in fact getting "paid" by receiving scholarship money.  I would like to see all schools having the ability to offer scholarship money for athletics (DIII schools).

imnofish

I agree with that last statement, dman.  Why should only DI kids get scholarships?  Hardly seems fair...

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

littleguy301

Quote from: dman on March 27, 2014, 02:55:10 PM
I agree that players should not unionize!  They are in fact getting "paid" by receiving scholarship money.  I would like to see all schools having the ability to offer scholarship money for athletics (DIII schools).

Money!!! Just image what your local D3 school would cost if they gave scholarships out. Upgrade in fields, gyms and cost to attend.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

While every one thinks that getting a 250,000 dollar scholarship is the cats complete behind, which is a nice deal, the NCAA limits outside work and what those scholarship athletes can do and not do.

Summer jobs, well tough to get that extra cash when your playing your sports all week and for hours at a time.

It is not like the Brian Bosworth days in Oklahoma well at least at some schools.

Those scholarship athletes are basically property of the school which can be a tough deal. Though I will agree that they are getting a free education and hopefully those scholar athletes are taking full use of it.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

imnofish

One thing that is good about smaller schools not offering athletic scholarships is that there is a greater chance of education being the top priority. 

ramjet

Quote from: imnofish on March 28, 2014, 12:29:43 AM
One thing that is good about smaller schools not offering athletic scholarships is that there is a greater chance of education being the top priority. 

As it should be right? See we can agree on some things reaching across the isle Fish what  great way to go into the weekend hey................................... ;D

Handles II

Quote from: imnofish on March 27, 2014, 06:58:40 PM
I agree with that last statement, dman.  Why should only DI kids get scholarships?  Hardly seems fair...

Ramjet,
D2 and Division 1 schools in the NJCAA can give scholarships. Private schools in D3 can give scholarships.

imnofish

I was watching ESPN last night and they were discussing this topic.  One point that made sense was that, instead of paying the athletes, colleges should be improving the scholarships they offer these kids.  I could get behind that.

imnofish

Quote from: Handles II on March 28, 2014, 10:43:27 AM
Quote from: imnofish on March 27, 2014, 06:58:40 PM

Ramjet,
D2 and Division 1 schools in the NJCAA can give scholarships. Private schools in D3 can give scholarships.

I know that, but had a brain fart and responded inaccurately.   :P

bigG

Where in the heck is Nat Pope?! This is right in his wheelhouse.

I know it's too late in the proverbial game to make this happen, but I don't think any school should offer athletic-based scholarships.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bigoil

Quote from: bigG on March 30, 2014, 09:53:04 AM
Where in the heck is Nat Pope?! This is right in his wheelhouse.

I know it's too late in the proverbial game to make this happen, but I don't think any school should offer athletic-based scholarships.

I don't follow that thought. Wouldn't that take away tremendous opportunities away from many who would otherwise be unable to afford or go into severe debt? While my general rule is Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson are wrong, I'm pretty sure they would be against this and I can't seem to see a reason to disagree with them. Wouldn't this disproportionately effect minorities?

MarkK

I'd be happy with better scholarships all around not just for athletes
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin