College players Unionizing...

Started by maggie, March 26, 2014, 09:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramjet

Quote from: maggie on March 27, 2014, 07:07:14 AM
Lol...common fan, tell me what you did non union that paid you more than a union pays it's workers...I don't happen to believe ya... :)

did ya know that membership benefits include scholarships hotel discounts gun insurance and many other member benefits. The NRA like other brotherhood organizations has annual Convention where the brotherhood elects its representatives?

It's great to be part of a strong brotherhood and organization of like thinking members.

MarkK

Btw, the ticket prices to games will make the student sections dwindle.    If my tax.money goes.to pay athlete salaries I will be ticked.    When that happens id favor making all sports club programs at the college level put the school emphasis back on teaching and let the clubs pay the.athlete out of gate receipts corporate sponsors donors and media revenue.   Im not willing to see our kids take.on school debt that subsidizes athletes.   That will happen.   If they arent self sustaining get rid.of them.   The title nine implications of this are going to be impossible to work out as well.  And im not saying it shouldnt be.  But a womens basketball player will demand.a title.nine enabled comensorate salary as a male basketball player.    All athletes will demand the same.salary.  the kid in the rowing.team will have to be paid the same as the football player.   Im not paying for that.   The tennis player the swimmer the gymnast the baseball player and the how about the flute player in the band or the  painter showing their.paintings in the university artgallery or the.pianist giving a concert or the actor in the schools annual productiin of Hamlet?  
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

maggie

I'd demand more than the  other guy... ;)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

ramjet

Quote from: MarkK on March 27, 2014, 07:16:30 AM
Btw, the ticket prices to games will make the student sections dwindle.    If my tax.money goes.to pay athlete salaries I will be ticked.    When that happens id favor making all sports club programs at the college level put the school emphasis back on teaching and let the clubs pay the.athlete out of gate receipts corporate sponsors donors and media revenue.   Im not willing to see our kids take.on school debt that subsidizes athletes.   That will happen.   If they arent self sustaining get rid.of them.   The title nine implications of this are going to be impossible to work out as well.  And im not saying it shouldnt be.  But a womens basketball player will demand.a title.nine enabled comensorate salary as a male basketball player.    All athletes will demand the same.salary.  the kid in the rowing.team will have to be paid the same as the football player.   Im not paying for that.   The tennis player the swimmer the gymnast the baseball player and the how about the flute player in the band or the  painter showing their.paintings in the university artgallery or the.pianist giving a concert or the actor in the schools annual productiin of Hamlet?  

great points MarkK in fact participation in collegiate sports is voluntary and an amateur sport every student has a choice as to participate.

ramjet

Quote from: maggie on March 27, 2014, 07:20:56 AM
I'd demand more than the  other guy... ;)

Maggie did you know that NEA sends out a magazines to its membership that covers a wide variety of topics aimed at the best interest of the members........so does my organization .......wow the parallels are just uncanny

wraslfan

Lol...common fan, tell me what you did non union that paid you more than a union pays it's workers...I don't happen to believe ya... :)
I drove truck. Look it up, there are two major carriers that are non union and pay above union wages.

maggie

Look it up?   Just tell me..wth... :)  did ya haul cars and trucks? :)

ramjet

the Students have the right to vote on this however this could open a huge can o worms would that mean you are paying income tax on a $250,000 scholarship?

again tough choice if they choose to Unionize compensation should be taxed.

ramjet

the reason for this has been stated as a fight for medical coverage for athletes....

again participation is voluntary if I MTB on weekends that's my choice and medical bills if I get injured are my responsibility.

if as they say they are paid for participation then they owe allot of taxes .............

so they have right to Unionize and if they choose tomI hope they understand the totality of that choice......

maggie

Handles II

Quote from: bigG on March 27, 2014, 06:41:54 AM
Quote from: ramjet on March 26, 2014, 09:11:30 PM
Quote from: maggie on March 26, 2014, 09:02:33 PM
Good choice... ;)

umm what this is old old news but you are so sheltered you had to wait for the Union news letter to find this out?  ::)

by the way the Unions are allot like the NRA in fact so much so it is funny......brotherhood, fight together for the good it's members, helping to mold policy and law for the benefit of the members........ummm so maybe the NRA is not so bad unless you feel the same way about Unions........ ;D

NRA is a lobby. Unions are groups of workers; not just lovers of a particular hobby or hardware.

I know this post falls on your deaf ears; but people who can't differentiate a lobby from a union must be a little out of whack. I guess it's redundant to say.  :)

I never heard all this brotherhood crap my entire time in the union. But, keep comparing apples to mushrooms. It is entertaining.

Nothing against the NRA; but hobby v. work is a big difference.

Great post BigG. 100% correct. Those wanting to pretend that they are the same are simply doing that, pretending. BTW I sent you a PM a few days ago, did you get it? Hit me back.

Dale Einerson

And while you goof folks argue about the benefit of unions and how they should be perceived, the NCAA is a perilous step closer to dropping wrestling.

This is not an argument about pros and cons of unions,  instead, it is a discussion regarding who gets the gains of trade. It is an economic discussion.  The union is just a vehicle. 

I suggest that as NCAA football and basketball players take more gains of trade, the non - revenue generating sports will be forced out.

Handles II

Quote from: Dale Einerson on March 27, 2014, 10:05:48 AM

I suggest that as NCAA football and basketball players take more gains of trade, the non - revenue generating sports will be forced out.

I agree with you on this Dale. There would need to be some type of option that if you get paid (depending on how that is done), your scholarship money is gone and goes to a non-revenue sport. As it is, head-count scholarship sports that are non revenue generating or at least not profit generating, are what is swallowing up athletic departments. That, and some very shady A.D.s in some cases, are hurting our sport more than anything.

One bonus is that I've seen quite a few NJ, NAIA, and D3 levels schools adding our sport across the nation in the past few years.  -

Related: Winona State is having a big push right now as their club team has been successful for about 8 years, and it's time to take it to the next level (d2 for them).  Administrators at WSU don't currently believe that there would be enough interest/talent in the area to support wrestling (even though Section 1 in which WSU is located is THE best and deepest section in the state).  If any of you want to become bandwagon jumpers, contact Larry Marchionda, he's collecting letters and emails so send to WSU. Please do so asap. 

imnofish

Quote from: wraslfan on March 27, 2014, 08:05:06 AM
I drove truck. Look it up, there are two major carriers that are non union and pay above union wages.

So, if there was no union companies for them to compete with, what do you think would happen to the level of wage offered by them?
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

ramjet

Quote from: Handles II on March 27, 2014, 09:26:45 AM
Quote from: bigG on March 27, 2014, 06:41:54 AM
Quote from: ramjet on March 26, 2014, 09:11:30 PM
Quote from: maggie on March 26, 2014, 09:02:33 PM
Good choice... ;)

umm what this is old old news but you are so sheltered you had to wait for the Union news letter to find this out?  ::)

by the way the Unions are allot like the NRA in fact so much so it is funny......brotherhood, fight together for the good it's members, helping to mold policy and law for the benefit of the members........ummm so maybe the NRA is not so bad unless you feel the same way about Unions........ ;D

NRA is a lobby. Unions are groups of workers; not just lovers of a particular hobby or hardware.

I know this post falls on your deaf ears; but people who can't differentiate a lobby from a union must be a little out of whack. I guess it's redundant to say.  :)

I never heard all this brotherhood crap my entire time in the union. But, keep comparing apples to mushrooms. It is entertaining.

Nothing against the NRA; but hobby v. work is a big difference.

Great post BigG. 100% correct. Those wanting to pretend that they are the same are simply doing that, pretending. BTW I sent you a PM a few days ago, did you get it? Hit me back.

handles the parallels are to obvious for even you to dispute.....