maggie

--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

Houndhead

"For the most part Taylor utterly dominates his opponents with a fun, constantly-offensive style. If every wrestler competed like him, than college wrestling would enjoy far more popularity. Taylor, more than any other combatant on the mat for the last four years, has shown the propensity to truly amaze a wrestling audience."

+1000

npope

I don't think hitting the standing granby in that situation is all that amazing; you see a lot of the more athletic (i.e., smaller guys) hitting those kids of moves with some regularity. I think that the move looked rather amazing in that 1) Taylor hit it on a notable opponent, 2) it was textbook perfect, and 3) it turned into a scramble situation in which Taylor immediately surfaced behind the Iowa guy as if the whole thing were one single move. I suspect Taylor might have been as surprised as everyone else (including the Iowa guy) that he just popped up behind his opponent and in control.

Don't get me wrong, the whole series was a thing of beauty. But my point is that hitting a standing granby was done by any number of other guys throughout the course of the tournament; but none of them hit it so cleanly on the grand stage (in the finals) and with such seeming ease.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

jeast

Quote from: npope on March 12, 2014, 11:05:26 AM
I don't think hitting the standing granby in that situation is all that amazing; you see a lot of the more athletic (i.e., smaller guys) hitting those kids of moves with some regularity. I think that the move looked rather amazing in that 1) Taylor hit it on a notable opponent, 2) it was textbook perfect, and 3) it turned into a scramble situation in which Taylor immediately surfaced behind the Iowa guy as if the whole thing were one single move. I suspect Taylor might have been as surprised as everyone else (including the Iowa guy) that he just popped up behind his opponent and in control.

Don't get me wrong, the whole series was a thing of beauty. But my point is that hitting a standing granby was done by any number of other guys throughout the course of the tournament; but none of them hit it so cleanly on the grand stage (in the finals) and with such seeming ease.

I take umbrage with your comment. There are not any "more athletic" wrestlers out there than David Taylor.  And to even put in parenthesis that you mean smaller guys is really off kilter. Small, quick and lithe is awesome to watch.  To assume that they are more athletic is just wrong. 

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

npope

Quote from: jeast on March 12, 2014, 11:45:39 AM

I take umbrage with your comment. There are not any "more athletic" wrestlers out there than David Taylor.  And to even put in parenthesis that you mean smaller guys is really off kilter. Small, quick and lithe is awesome to watch.  To assume that they are more athletic is just wrong. 

I figured I would pull in at least one of you big boys in on that one. Perhaps a topic for a different thread - what exactly constitutes "athleticism"? So I don't take this one off target, I'll start a separate thread for anyone who wants to toss in two cents on the matter.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

jeast

I thought David was more amazing when he got a takedown with a side hip ankle pick. The announcers where literally dumbfounded and all they could say was "you don't see that too often ". No, not too often...like never!!! I saw it live and had no idea what he did. Thank goodness I Dvd 'd it!
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"