NCAA.... a top 10 finish?

Started by ankle pick, March 11, 2014, 07:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stp

Quote from: billymurphy on March 12, 2014, 06:17:46 PM
I am extremely impressed by Taylor and Jordan.  I am nearly positive I saw Barry Davis sitting in the seats watching Taylor and Jordan wrestle a match in the Ohio gym while they were in high school. Barry clearly does some top level recruiting.

St Paris Graham vs. Blair.  Barry and the Jordan family go way back.  I'm pretty sure I saw coach Davis attend more than one dual at Graham years ago.    

*video was posted already a long time ago but of course still fun to watch again.
http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/236398-Blair-Academy-vs-St-Paris-Graham/video/284474-103lbs-Max-Hvolbek-Blair-vs-Ryan-Taylor-St-Paris-Graham-

Funny seeing Jimmy do his Coach Davis impersonation with Barry sitting right by...
http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/236398-Blair-Academy-vs-St-Paris-Graham/videos/284580-135lbs-Todd-Preston-Blair-vs-Isaac-Jordan-St-Paris-Graham-#.UyXgzM7dctE

Quote from: npope on March 16, 2014, 03:35:37 PM
Given the significant talent possessed by the big dogs in the Big Ten, I am not sure anyone has a right to expect the Badgers to be a top three team in the Big Ten in the near future, but they are certainly knocking on the door of being a top 10 team at the national level - and this only three years after the program was in tatters.

Personally, I'm pretty impressed.

Hear hear!  Two thumbs up
From Milwaukee to St Paris.

bigG

Some people get off on bringing others down. For every party, there's a pooper(or several). Looks like the poopers are comin' out.

I'm really overusing that expression. :)
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

npope

Not that I am too caught up on where the Badgers actually end up at the NCAAs, but with a solid (but not spectacular) showing by the guys that will be there, the Badgers could foreseeably sneak into a top 10 finish. If the big guns wrestle to their seed (with one or two exceeding his seed by a place or two) and the rest of the guys picking up one or two wins somewhere along the line, the Badgers could really place well at the meet.

That said, if that happens, would all of those among us who moan about a 7th place finish in the Big Ten suddenly be converted into "believers"? Maybe not - and I don't think they should. The point is, thus far, the Badgers haven't had a bad year - especially relative to where they have been the past few years. Progress on the mat is being made - truly. And a top 10 finish at the national meet wouldn't suddenly change those earlier results - they are what they are. The point is, an assessment as to the success of the team on the mats needs to encompass the complete body of the work - including the progress made over the past few years.

Quite honestly, while the buck always stops at the desk of the head coach, I tend to think the current/recent results are more of a referendum on the work of the assistant coaches. They are the new component installed in a "broken" system three years ago; the assistant coaches (along with Davis' oversight) are the guys who are bringing the program back to respectability. Given the significant talent possessed by the big dogs in the Big Ten, I am not sure anyone has a right to expect the Badgers to be a top three team in the Big Ten in the near future, but they are certainly knocking on the door of being a top 10 team at the national level - and this only three years after the program was in tatters.

Personally, I'm pretty impressed.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

billymurphy

I am not expecting the team to finish ahead of the big three (Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota. - Ohio State being the 4th best), but I certainly expect better than a 7th place finish in the Big Ten Tournament next season. 

No champions, only one in the finals is a seventh place finish. The Badgers have some good to darn good freshman that will lead this team up the ladder a few steps next season as 7th is not something to shoot for.
And all those extremely good senior heavyweights will graduate leaving Medbery with a high place finish. The quality of recruits are getting better, and more of them.   

stp

Quote from: billymurphy on March 16, 2014, 10:45:36 PM
I am not expecting the team to finish ahead of the big three (Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota. - Ohio State being the 4th best), but I certainly expect better than a 7th place finish in the Big Ten Tournament next season.  

Ohio State will crack the top three at B10s next year which are being held in Columbus and (imo) possibly  place even higher at NCAA's.  

imo - Wisconsin (and Illinois) are not too far behind the "big four" of the B10.

From Milwaukee to St Paris.

bigG

we'll see how my favorite coach (Ryan) does. I love the guy; but he's kind of been so-so of late. I hope they blow up a bit.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

leg turk

Is it 11:00 yet?  Lets get this party Rocking!  Come on Bucky!

LaValle

Round 1

9.  Iowa  8.5
9.  Wisconsin  8.5

2014 NCAA Division I Championships Results for Wisconsin
125 - Bradley Taylor (17-5) place is unknown and scored 0.00 team points.
133 - Tyler Graff (28-4) place is unknown and scored 2.50 team points.
149 - Rylan Lubeck (12-13) place is unknown and scored 0.00 team points.
157 - Isaac Jordan (28-5) place is unknown and scored 3.00 team points.
174 - Scott Liegel (18-14) place is unknown and scored 0.00 team points.
184 - Jackson Hein (12-8) place is unknown and scored 0.00 team points.
197 - Timothy McCall (17-14) place is unknown and scored 1.00 team points.
285 - Connor Medbery (25-7) place is unknown and scored 2.00 team points.

2014 NCAA Division I Championships Results for Iowa
125 - Cory Clark (18-2) place is unknown and scored 2.50 team points.
133 - Tony Ramos (28-2) place is unknown and scored 1.00 team points.
141 - Josh Dziewa (25-9) place is unknown and scored 0.00 team points.
149 - Brody Grothus (24-10) place is unknown and scored 1.00 team points.
157 - Derek St. John (26-4) place is unknown and scored 1.00 team points.
165 - Nick Moore (21-4) place is unknown and scored 0.00 team points.
174 - Michael Evans (26-4) place is unknown and scored 1.00 team points.
184 - Ethen Lofthouse (20-4) place is unknown and scored 0.00 team points.
197 - Nathan Burak (17-5) place is unknown and scored 1.00 team points.
285 - Bobby Telford (23-5) place is unknown and scored 1.00 team points.
A goal without a plan is nothing more than a wish