NCAA.... a top 10 finish?

Started by ankle pick, March 11, 2014, 07:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Quote from: leg turk on March 12, 2014, 10:39:16 AM
if you guys want that next step, you better start fundraising.   Those top teams in the country have the same 9.9 schlorships, just like us.  The difference is, they have MAJOR boosters supporting their teams....  we don't have the facilities to keep a 4 star recruit here on a 1/2 schlorship..... it takes money to build programs like them.

As long as Barry is the head coach many will be reluctant to donate. I do donate in case you are wondering.
I agree with you to a point but Barry has been here 20+ years. 1. When were the badgers the best in those years?   2.Who did all of the recruiting when we had our best teams?  3. Why did all the big studs start coming to Wisconsin?  4. When did UW hit rock bottom in the big tens in the last 20+ years?

1. When Donny was the asst coach.
2. Donny
3. Donny
4. When Donny left

Plain and simple, UW had their best years under Barry when Donny was here. Most of you have no idea what goes on inside the walls of the UW wrestling room. If you knew some of the politics, bs etc you would understand. Barry Davis and Barry Alvarez are very tight. Barry Alvarez couldn't care less if UW finished last every year, as long as are able to put a team on the mat.
I like Barry Davis as a person but he is not a top head coach.
Would UW wrestling be better if Donny Pritzlaf was the head coach? Im my honest opinion, absolutely.

With that said, I wish the Badger wrestlers the best of luck and will be rooting for them and supporting them.

dad 2 5

Interesting sitting next to a Penn St fan. He asked about Donny and I gave him my thoughts and a guy behind me reminded be that Donny flat out broke the rule and had to leave. The PSU guy then said that it is going to be interesting where Donny ends up as MI hired Bormet and he appears to be McFarland replacement.

As for a top 10 - possible but there needs to be one more guy get several wins (Connor). I think Zeke, Graff, Taylor all will get close if not to the top (Zeke). Graff is close but I think he'll finish 3rd. RT top 6. Can Lubeck continue to pull off some upsets? Hope so. Hopefully I can be surprised by a couple wins by Timmy, Scott and Jackson but that could be stretching it. I would be happy with top 12.

MantyShip160

"Proud, but not Satisfied" this is a phrase that we use at my job everyday. I welcome opinions that are different then mine. However, some people need to turn the page on the past and get over it and move on already! Am I 100% "satisfied" with where the Badgers are at, no. But I am dang "proud" of how the season went and the direction they are headed! Good luck to all the national qualifiers, GO BADGERS!!!

dad 2 5

Quote from: MantyShip160 on March 12, 2014, 06:00:35 PM
"Proud, but not Satisfied" this is a phrase that we use at my job everyday. I welcome opinions that are different then mine. However, some people need to turn the page on the past and get over it and move on already! Am I 100% "satisfied" with where the Badgers are at, no. But I am dang "proud" of how the season went and the direction they are headed! Good luck to all the national qualifiers, GO BADGERS!!!

+1!

billymurphy

I am extremely impressed by Taylor and Jordan.  I am nearly positive I saw Barry Davis sitting in the seats watching Taylor and Jordan wrestle a match in the Ohio gym while they were in high school. Barry clearly does some top level recruiting.
With Brandvold's knowledge of the top WI wrestlers and recruiting some top Illinois guys this team's future is looking up.  I know nobody has agreed with me yet, but Ohio State is another team that is on the rise and they will
challenge the Penn State, Iowa, and Minnesota dominance next season, being my early prediction.

davebrandvold

Tough crowd.  I do wish some of the opinions came with a real name although that is your own choice.  Not judging.     Donny was a great addition to the Badgers the first day he stepped into the room after signing.  I know he gave his blood and guts to the program.  He pushed Trevor through some difficult times with his injuries and made a huge impact on him as a wrestler and as a person.  I spoke with Donny at the Big Tens and thanked him again. Circumstances being what they are, Donny is writing another chapter and he is our competition. That being said there is no doubt that the recruiting for the Badgers is becoming much more systematic.  I'll leave it at that.  When going after top recruits it is not only about the money.  Where a wrestlers coach went to school, other alums, being in close proximity to home all play into the decision on where to go.  Bottom line a kid should follow his heart before the cash. 

Penn State will crush the country just on location with Cale.  Jersey, PA, NY he has enough right in his home state to draw from.  That being said, Cale is a special commodity by his NCAA and Olympic works.   Wisconsin sports strive to do their best but budgets are limited so please celebrate the top ten NCAA finishes.  In the right moment the chance to capture a top three trophy and perhaps a title could be within the teams grasp in the next couple of years.  This may sound a little rash but it may be easier to win the NCAA's vs the Big Ten's. 

The team is clearly on the rise and also has a little p--- and vinegar to it as well.  The switch is just turning on and we have some guys that are willing to get a little nasty....RT???!!....Those heading to OKLA have a great time and help the guys bring back some hardware.

BTW   Jock strap reference is quite outdated, not sure if they are even sold any longer.............referring to a post on another thread.  Also please tell that to either coaches face.

MNbadger

Well said Dave.  I also agree with you that the Big Tens are tougher than the NCAAs.
To those who are so unhappy;
This has been said here before and is not to disparage Pritzlaf.  WI defeated MI head to head in a dual.  WI finished ahead of MI in the Big 10s.  Do you want to trade places?
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

easytopin

Its funny how a post starts out and then takes a U-turn.  Are the Badgers a top ten team? Pritzlaff left, Favre left, Lombardi left, so lets focus on the now and today.  I think the Badgers will place in the 13-17 range. Their studs have decent draws so that looks good.

npope

According to FLO, if everyone wrestled to their seeds (and ignoring bonus points), the Badgers would finish 12th in the NCAA meet.

Penn State-89.5
Minnesota-82
Iowa-79
OK State-69
Cornell-54.5
Nebraska-50
Ohio State-47
Oklahoma-45.5
Edinboro-43
Missouri-37.5
UNI-35.5
Wisconsin-28.5
Northwestern-27.7
UVA-25.5
Illinois-25
Maryland-24
Pittsburgh-20.5
Michigan-19.5
Virginia Tech-19
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

ankle pick

ahead of Michigan?   No way....  ;)

Jimmy

I can see where a team with two or three studs could place higher in the ncaa tourney than teams who beat them in the big tens. More wrestlers and bigger brackets can create more separation . But to say that the big tens is an overall tougher tournament than ncaa's is ridiculous .

littleguy301

Quote from: Jimmy on March 13, 2014, 08:14:27 PM
I can see where a team with two or three studs could place higher in the ncaa tourney than teams who beat them in the big tens. More wrestlers and bigger brackets can create more separation . But to say that the big tens is an overall tougher tournament than ncaa's is ridiculous .

While I dont want to argue with a guy named jimmy ;) I have to say something.

I dont think any one was saying the Big Ten is tougher just the fact that being in the Big Ten it may be tougher on the guys with the fact you have wrestled the same guy for some time now. Just that the Big Ten season is such a grind I do think that getting to the NCAA is a relief for some to get some different oppents and different styles.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

badgerjohn

Ever look at a list of NCAA champs that never won B1G's? 

Ever look at the percent of AA's that come from B1G conference?

Ever look at the percent of NCAA finalists that come from B1G conference?
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

badgerjohn

Quote from: futurerichguy on March 14, 2014, 09:56:31 PM
Quote from: badgerjohn on March 14, 2014, 09:53:36 PM

Ever look at a list of NCAA champs that never won B1G's? 

Ever look at the percent of AA's that come from B1G conference?

Ever look at the percent of NCAA finalists that come from B1G conference?
Any idea where to find that data?

http://www.wrestlingstats.com/
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

stbird

There is no doubt in my mind that Graff and Jordan have the talent to make the finals and Taylor and Medberry top 6.  If they meet my expectations and we get good points from Lubeck and Liegel there is no doubt we'll be top 10.  I am kind of counting on it actually!  Steve