NCAA.... a top 10 finish?

Started by ankle pick, March 11, 2014, 07:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ankle pick

What do you guys think, can they pull off a top 10?  With some good draws, it seems possible to do it.  Maybe 12th-13th is more realistic.... Come on Bucky!

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Hmmmmmmmmm. With the badgers on the rise, big time, I am sure they will improve from last years 27th place finish up to about 22nd. Top 20 would be better, top 10 would be great. Jordan and Graff will be top 4. Taylor will make the podium. Other than that I don't see anyone making the podium. I hope I am wrong. GOOD LUCK BADGERS

mkm13

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 11, 2014, 09:30:41 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm. With the badgers on the rise, big time, I am sure they will improve from last years 27th place finish up to about 22nd. Top 20 would be better, top 10 would be great. Jordan and Graff will be top 4. Taylor will make the podium. Other than that I don't see anyone making the podium. I hope I am wrong. GOOD LUCK BADGERS

I would personally not be disappointed if Jordan and Graff both finished top 4, Taylor made the podium, and nobody else from UW finished AA.  I hope Medberry can as well, but I would still be happy with what you listed in terms of Jordan, Graff and Taylor.  Having 2 freshman AA would be huge for the program going forward.

jaguarwrestler

they can if they come to wrestle. I thought they wrestled well at the 10's.... if they wrestle at that level or slightly better I see a top 10 to top 12.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

ankle pick

ok, so just for a fun, I looked up last years NCAA top 10 teams, and Virginia Tech finished in 10 place, and here are their results.

125...... 6th place..........13.50 pts
133......  DNP.................  0    pts
141......  8th place......... 5.50 pts
149....... 8th place......... 5.50 pts
157......  DNP................  4.00 pts
165...... 4th place.......... 13.50 pts
174...... DNP.................. 1.00 pt
184...... DNP.................    0  pts
197...... DNP.................  1.00 pt
Hwt..... DNP...................   .50 pt

So, a 4th, 6th, & two 8th place winners, with  6.5 pts coming from other wrestlers....... I think it's possible to make a top 10 for the Badgers, but they will have to wrestle good- no doubt about it.

2013 NCAA Team Scores

1.    Penn State    123.5
2.    Oklahoma St.    119.5
3.    Minnesota    103.0
4.    Iowa    73.0
5.    Cornell    65.0
6.    Ohio St.    59.5
7.    Missouri    56.5
8.    Oregon St.    48.5
9.    Illinois    45.5
10.    Virginia Tech    43.5
11.    Iowa St.    41.5
12.    Oklahoma    38.5
13.    Nebraska    38.0
14.    Edinboro    37.5
15.    Northern Iowa    34.0
15.    Pittsburgh    34.0
17.    Northwestern    32.5
18.    Central Michigan    30.5
19.    Boise State    29.0
20.    The Citadel    27.0
21.    Virginia    23.5
22.    North Carolina    21.5
23.    Wyoming    20.5
24.    Kent St.    20.0
25.    Lehigh    18.5
26.    Columbia    17.0
27.    Maryland    16.5
27.    Wisconsin    16.5
29.    Ohio    16.0
30.    North Dakota St.    15.5
31.    Purdue    11.0
32.    Binghamton    10.0
33.    Clarion    9.0
33.    Michigan    9.0
35.    Pennsylvania    7.5
35.    Rutgers    7.5
37.    Bloomsburg    6.0
38.    Air Force    5.5
38.    Stanford    5.5
40.    Rider    4.5
41.    Arizona St.    4.0
41.    Eastern Mich.    4.0
41.    Harvard    4.0
41.    Indiana    4.0
41.    Northern Ill.    4.0
46.    Bucknell    3.5
46.    Hofstra    3.5
46.    Utah Valley    3.5
49.    Appalachian S.    3.0
49.    Navy    3.0
51.    American    2.5
51.    Boston U.    2.5
51.    Brown    2.5
51.    Michigan St.    2.5
55.    Chattanooga    2.0
55.    Frank. & Marsh.    2.0
57.    Buffalo    1.5
57.    Drexel    1.5
57.    Lock Haven    1.5
60.    CSU Bakersfield    1.0
60.    Gardner-Webb    1.0
60.    Old Dominion    1.0
63.    Duke    0.5
63.    North Carolina St.    0.5
63.    West Virginia    0.5
66.    Army    0.0
66.    Cal Poly    0.0
66.    Campbell    0.0
66.    Cleveland State    0.0
66.    Davidson    0.0
66.    George Mason    0.0
66.    South Dakota State    0.0

BuckyMatt

Darn you Favre, I had planned on just ignoring your comments since they are biased, not rooted in reality, not based on facts, you are the only "UW Fan" (used very lighly) saying them, and you are repeating the same thing over and over.  You pulled me back though.  Did I say already that you are the ONLY person saying Wisconsin isn't improving?

Is 7th where we want to be year in and year out?  Heck no.  However, everyone can see that the Badgers are better this year than last and will be better next year.

A few FACTS, see if you can follow along since comprehension is obviously a weakness of yours:

2012-12th place, 9 points, 2 NCAA qualifiers
2013-9th place, 37 points, 3 NCAA qualifiers
2014-7th place, 73 points, 7 or 8 NCAA qualifiers.  BTW, 6 points out of 5th, that's 1 or 2 matches!

Can you see a trend in those FACTS?? Think back to kindergarten, an arrow moving up is...........improvement.  12, 9, 7......guess what that is???  IMPROVEMENT!!  Again, will we be happy if they are at 7th for the next few years?? NO.  However, it is OBVIOUS to everyone but you they will not be!

Cheers and go Badgers!

easytopin

I think its all about perspective....the big three are always the same and hardly ever threatened (in the Big 10).  Where should the Badgers shoot for each year? Is 7th place ok by most? When should Wisconsin fans believe that their team can be perennial top3 team in the Big Ten?

Its almost like when all the Badger fans  stated when JT came out of high school that he would be a 4 timer? very unrealistic for the most part....makes you appreciate what Andrew Howe did, within 3 years he was a multi All-American and a national champ. JT who has shown improvement is fighting to try to qualify for nationals within that same time period.  Its all about perspective.

Barou

Quote from: BuckyMatt on March 11, 2014, 11:03:48 AM

Darn you Favre, I had planned on just ignoring your comments since they are biased, not rooted in reality, not based on facts, you are the only "UW Fan" (used very lighly) saying them, and you are repeating the same thing over and over.  You pulled me back though.  Did I say already that you are the ONLY person saying Wisconsin isn't improving?

Is 7th where we want to be year in and year out?  Heck no.  However, everyone can see that the Badgers are better this year than last and will be better next year.

A few FACTS, see if you can follow along since comprehension is obviously a weakness of yours:

2012-12th place, 9 points, 2 NCAA qualifiers
2013-9th place, 37 points, 3 NCAA qualifiers
2014-7th place, 73 points, 7 or 8 NCAA qualifiers.  BTW, 6 points out of 5th, that's 1 or 2 matches!

Can you see a trend in those FACTS?? Think back to kindergarten, an arrow moving up is...........improvement.  12, 9, 7......guess what that is???  IMPROVEMENT!!  Again, will we be happy if they are at 7th for the next few years?? NO.  However, it is OBVIOUS to everyone but you they will not be!

Cheers and go Badgers!

7th is right around Barry's average. His average national finish is 18th, probably about where the badgers will finish.
JHI Mafia

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: easytopin on March 11, 2014, 01:23:06 PM
I think its all about perspective....the big three are always the same and hardly ever threatened (in the Big 10).  Where should the Badgers shoot for each year? Is 7th place ok by most? When should Wisconsin fans believe that their team can be perennial top3 team in the Big Ten?

Its almost like when all the Badger fans  stated when JT came out of high school that he would be a 4 timer? very unrealistic for the most part....makes you appreciate what Andrew Howe did, within 3 years he was a multi All-American and a national champ. JT who has shown improvement is fighting to try to qualify for nationals within that same time period.  Its all about perspective.

Anyone predicting anyone coming from HS will be a 4 timer has no brains... what has there been 3 or 4 ever?

Within 3 years of HS Howe wrestled 102 matches at the highest level, JT has 31 so far and spent the better part of 2 years focused on a different style at a different weight.  He still has a chance to do quite well and win a title or 2 and that would be a fairly big accomplishment for most top recruits.

easytopin

One of the points im making is Andrew Howe, (whom many disfavor because of his transfer) was an all-American 1st year out of high school, without the benefit of a redshirt-Olympic year etc.. Is he looked at differently because he was from Indiana and not Wisconsin.

buc65

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on March 11, 2014, 02:31:35 PM

Anyone predicting anyone coming from HS will be a 4 timer has no brains... what has there been 3 or 4 ever?

Three - Pat Smith, Cael Sanderson, Kyle Dake

BRF Wrestling

I am to the point that I don't want to look at the Badger part of this forum. Some of the negative things that a few of you say on her night after night.  ??? Give it a rest already your like a broken record or even worse a nagging wife. Barry this Barry that Donny this Howe that, this Is your team be happy with what we got we might not be Penn. St or Iowa but we are the badgers. So if you need to be on a NCAA championship team jump on the Penn. St wagon, we won't miss you. And when we get to the top you can jump back on the badger wagon!!!!!
NO PAIN...NO PAIN...

vsmf2010

Quote from: BRF Wrestling on March 11, 2014, 09:34:06 PM
I am to the point that I don't want to look at the Badger part of this forum. Some of the negative things that a few of you say on her night after night.  ??? Give it a rest already your like a broken record or even worse a nagging wife. Barry this Barry that Donny this Howe that, this Is your team be happy with what we got we might not be Penn. St or Iowa but we are the badgers. So if you need to be on a NCAA championship team jump on the Penn. St wagon, we won't miss you. And when we get to the top you can jump back on the badger wagon!!!!!

+1

I rarely post and like you BRF I am exhausted by the constant Barry bashing, Donny love fest, etc... I really liked Donny, wish Howe and Rutt were still Badgers but I support the coaches and kids that are here. I am thrilled with the current coaching staff. Both of the paid assistants are fantastic guys and great to have Mitch around as well. I feel very fortunate to have a quick drive to the field house to be able to watch this group compete in every dual meet. I expect with the group of redshirts and the recruiting class that they will continue to get better in the next few years. It is amazing how much criticism there is and no credit. We should be talking about how great it is that the Badgers were able to get the Loveland boys here and that the coaching staff was able to pull those 2 terrific freshman out of SPG when every college in the country is recruiting that program. Granted there was a tie in with Zeke but what a great find RT has turned out to be. Keep up the good work guys.

hammen

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 11, 2014, 10:37:16 PM
I am to the point that I don't want to look at the Badger part of this forum. Some of the negative things that a few of you say on her night after night.  ??? Give it a rest already your like a broken record or even worse a nagging wife. Barry this Barry that Donny this Howe that, this Is your team be happy with what we got we might not be Penn. St or Iowa but we are the badgers. So if you need to be on a NCAA championship team jump on the Penn. St wagon, we won't miss you. And when we get to the top you can jump back on the badger wagon!!!!!

+1

I rarely post and like you BRF I am exhausted by the constant Barry bashing, Donny love fest, etc... I really liked Donny, wish Howe and Rutt were still Badgers but I support the coaches and kids that are here. I am thrilled with the current coaching coach. Both of the paid assistants are fantastic guys and great to have Mitch around as well. I feel very fortunate to have a quick drive to the field house to be able to watch this group compete in every dual meet. I expect with the group of redshirts and the recruiting class that they will continue to get better in the next few years. It is amazing how much criticism there is and no credit. We should be talking about how great it is that the Badgers were able to get the Loveland boys here and that the coaching staff was able to pull those 2 terrific freshman out of SPG when every college in the country is recruiting that program. Granted there was a tie in with Zeke but what a great find RT has turned out to be. Keep up the good work guys.

Very well said - thank you for speaking up and supporting Wisconsin Wrestling. Big day today!

jaguarwrestler

funny thing is... Donny is now 3 years out, his team lost to UW in a dual, finished behind us in the Big 10's, and only had 4 auto qualifiers while we had 7... I think it is time to get over it.