Can you say...IMPROVEMENT! Badgers send 7, maybe 8 to the NCAA's!

Started by theunionchair, March 09, 2014, 04:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theunionchair

Wow! OK, I am eating my shoe heel right now. I didn't have much hope for the season, but am sold on the improvement the team and coaches have made. Completely sold!

The Badgers have 7 automatic qualifiers, and if they review any film of Jesse Thelke, we should and will have 8!

While we didn't have any champions, we did show up big across the board. Not going to mention a comparison of performance-to-seedings because that means squat when you step on the mat. Perform or go home.

The only real negative was not seeing Jackson Hein advance. Plagued by injuries all year, he just wasn't himself on the mat once the Big Ten's arrived. He will be remembered as an aggressive, battler, who qualified for his first trip to the NCAA championships last year, with a seventh place finish at 197 lbs., at the Big Ten championships. He is a great kid with a lot of heart.

Thanks, Madison and the UW Athletic Department, for putting on a great show. Truly great tournament and fun experience. Congrats to the team on a stellar performance!

On Wisconsin,

The Union Chair has spoken.

woody53

I will say yes, but maybe we should let #4 give his opinion ;)

Sorry, couldn't help it.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

woody53

And yes, the UW, The Kohl Center, and all the Wisconsin Wrestling Volunteers, put on a fantastic show.

TLV

Quote from: theunionchair on March 09, 2014, 04:27:43 PM
Wow! OK, I am eating my shoe heel right now. I didn't have much hope for the season, but am sold on the improvement the team and coaches have made. Completely sold!

The Badgers have 7 automatic qualifiers, and if they review any film of Jesse Thelke, we should and will have 8!

While we didn't have any champions, we did show up big across the board. Not going to mention a comparison of performance-to-seedings because that means squat when you step on the mat. Perform or go home.

The only real negative was not seeing Jackson Hein advance. Plagued by injuries all year, he just wasn't himself on the mat once the Big Ten's arrived. He will be remembered as an aggressive, battler, who qualified for his first trip to the NCAA championships last year, with a seventh place finish at 197 lbs., at the Big Ten championships. He is a great kid with a lot of heart.

Thanks, Madison and the UW Athletic Department, for putting on a great show. Truly great tournament and fun experience. Congrats to the team on a stellar performance!

On Wisconsin,

The Union Chair has spoken.

And I am listening to the Union Spokesman and impressed. :-)
God Bless the NRA for  defending Americans'  Civil Rights for over 125 years, and for now defending the U.S. Constitution from those who attack the Second Amendment.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Ghetto

I thought Timmy McCall wrestled well. Better than I expected.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

woody53

Yes he did. Most stepped it up. Jackson had a rough tournament, but that will not take away my respect for him, his family, or for what he has provided for us UW Wrestling fans. Be strong Jackson. There is a reason for everything.

Brems

What an AWESOME weekend of wrestling....

Shout-outs go to:

All the staff and volunteers that made for a silky-smooth tourney. Several of us commented on this.

Justin Tritz- In our booth, we all agreed he and his staff have improved wrestling tournaments across the country.... start writing down what we now take for granted related to running a tournament and as a fan following compared to 10-15 years ago. Isn't is a bit crazy that soon much of the wrestling population will just think that "is just how it has always been"- dating myself here:)

Officials- thought they did very well.

Badger Wresters- I'm proud for them. Thought they wrestled very well. Best wishes to all of them in less than two weeks.

David Taylor- first 4-time undefeated wrestling in Big Ten competition history? I feel lucky to be able to watch such a talent. Hope he hits the weights (more) and represents USA at 185 (or whatever it is). I can dream, right?

Hawkeye fans- Don't always agree with them, but they know how to make noise and support their wrestlers. I thought we did well too, but have some work to do to reach their level:)

All in all, I am deeply humbled by the greatness (and the incredible work that it takes) of the young men I watched this weekend. Bravo. Thank you. Best wishes as you all strive for your goals at the NCAA's.

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

#4 here. So UW is sending 7 to the NCAA's. Is that an improvement over last year, yes but they still finished 7th in the big 10. That's like saying its acceptable for the Packers to take 3rd in the division because they sent 8 guys to the pro bowl.
The fact is that UW placed 4th at the big 10"s in 2011, Pritzlafs last year here and they have been in the bottom half ever since

leg turk

Seriously bert, why even visit this forum if all you are going to do is hate...... get lost!   Go to the Mich forum & rub Donnys back.....  great job Bucky, it's getting better and better!   & congrats to all who put this whole tourney together, I had a great time all weekend!  Does it really get any better as a wrestling fan?

Numbers

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 09, 2014, 09:11:33 PM
#4 here. So UW is sending 7 to the NCAA's. Is that an improvement over last year, yes but they still finished 7th in the big 10. That's like saying its acceptable for the Packers to take 3rd in the division because they sent 8 guys to the pro bowl.
The fact is that UW placed 4th at the big 10"s in 2011, Pritzlafs last year here and they have been in the bottom half ever since

Just for fun...What program has IMPROVED the most the last 2 years at Big Tens? (2012 to 2014)  
Penn State   (149-151-140.5)   -8.5
Iowa  (126-133.5-135)   +9.0
Minnesota  (134-139-118.5)  -15.5
Illinois  (105.5-85.5-78.5)   -27.0
Ohio State (91-109-86.5)  -4.5
Northwestern  (75-56-58)  -17.0
 **(Iowa is the only team to improve from the top half of the 2012 team finishers)
Michigan  (66-75-71.5)  +5.5
Nebraska  (65-61-79)  +14.0
Purdue  (51.5-38-34.5)  -17.0
Indiana  (41-30.5-37)  -4.0
Michigan State (41-22-21.5) -19.5
Wisconsin (9-37-73) +64.0
**Sure 2012 was bad for the Badgers but NO other team improved more than 14 points over 2 years ago.

head57

Quote from: Numbers on March 09, 2014, 10:09:02 PM
Quote from: Brett Favre on March 09, 2014, 09:11:33 PM

Just for fun...What program has IMPROVED the most the last 2 years at Big Tens? (2012 to 2014)  
Penn State   (149-151-140.5)   -8.5
Iowa  (126-133.5-135)   +9.0
Minnesota  (134-139-118.5)  -15.5
Illinois  (105.5-85.5-78.5)   -27.0
Ohio State (91-109-86.5)  -4.5
Northwestern  (75-56-58)  -17.0
 **(Iowa is the only team to improve from the top half of the 2012 team finishers)
Michigan  (66-75-71.5)  +5.5
Nebraska  (65-61-79)  +14.0
Purdue  (51.5-38-34.5)  -17.0
Indiana  (41-30.5-37)  -4.0
Michigan State (41-22-21.5) -19.5
Wisconsin (9-37-73) +64.0
**Sure 2012 was bad for the Badgers but NO other team improved more than 14 points over 2 years ago.

Think about that, though. 9.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Numbers, are you also satisfied with performances that range from Poor to mediocre. It sounds like you are

CLC FAN

Perhaps verb tense could help us here Brett (do they teach verbs in Mississippi?)  Is anyone satisfied with the improvement as in "it's ok if we stay here for the next 5 years."  I doubt it.  Is it very encouraging to see the dramatic rate at which this team is improving?  I would hope even a three-time retiree would say yes.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 09, 2014, 10:24:14 PM
Numbers, are you also satisfied with performances that range from Poor to mediocre. It sounds like you are

I don't think anyone is satisfied with being average in the Big Ten, but having 2 qualifiers in 2012, 3 in 2013, and now 7 or more in 2014 is solid improvement.  And average in the Big Ten is Top 20 in the Nation. And in 2 weeks, I think we will make some serious noise at the NCAA's.  4 Badgers Wrestlers should be seeded in the top 8 at their weights  !!  

Adding Mitch Hull, developing a Regional Training Site in Madison, having the World Team Trials in Madison this, adding quality recruiting depth,
bringing back the Badgers camps - quite a few good things are being started/are ongoing/will occur in the future.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

MantyShip160

As I was watching the finals today I commented to the friends I was with about the improvements they have made and being a young team that its going the right direction. My next comment was, "but watch today some knucklehead will got on the forum and complain".... And what do you know there's #4 with his blinders on. Seriously man take off the blind fold and really look at the improvements. Oh and turn the page on "Donny" already. That's been old news for how long. If you like him that much move to MI and stroke his ego there.