towelboy

As a conference...

2009- 28 qualifiers, 3 champs, 9 place

2010- 21 qualifiers, 2 champs, 7 place

2011- 17 qualifiers, 2 champs, 4 place

2012- 18 qualifiers, 1 champ, 4 place

2013- 18 qualifiers, 4 place

2014- 13 qualifiers, 1 champ, 3 place

Interesting to see a downward trend and which way it goes in the future.  The FVA was always a pretty tough wrestling conference.  Look forward to it moving back in the other direction.  Who has some 8th graders coming up that can make a little noise? 

I went thru the numbers fast so I may have missed someone.  My apologies.

DocWrestling

Take away Kaukauna and the conference is definitely on a downhill curve.  This year was the weakest I have ever seen it for studs and for depth
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

matdad

Does offseason training and commitment have anything to do with these statistics? I believe it does.

A half dozen years ago, if you were looking for an offseason option for your wrestler you might have to drive quite a distance to get good training. Today, it seems as though there is more opportunity, especially in the Milwaukee and Madison area. Also, from what I have seen with our FVA wrestlers, not a whole lot of them are taking advantage of the opportunities available to them within a half hour drive.

Bark

I think part of it might be on the coaching side as well...at least three programs in the conference with openings this offseason...makes for a chaotic offseason.  Hope to see our program start turning around; last year was more positive, but still a loooong way to go. 

-Bark

petertherooster

I think this number will go up a lot this. Although teams may not be as strong I think there are many more strong individuals in the FVA this year.

Dale Einerson

Quote from: towelboy on March 04, 2014, 10:37:10 AM
As a conference...

2009- 28 qualifiers, 3 champs, 9 place

2010- 21 qualifiers, 2 champs, 7 place

2011- 17 qualifiers, 2 champs, 4 place

2012- 18 qualifiers, 1 champ, 4 place

2013- 18 qualifiers, 4 place

2014- 13 qualifiers, 1 champ, 3 place

Interesting to see a downward trend and which way it goes in the future.  The FVA was always a pretty tough wrestling conference.  Look forward to it moving back in the other direction.  Who has some 8th graders coming up that can make a little noise? 

I went thru the numbers fast so I may have missed someone.  My apologies.

Might be an indication of another change or changes as well...

In 2009, it would appear with 28 qualifiers for 14 weight classes, it suggests to me that either Sectionals was like a conference tournament, or based on assigned sectionals, perhaps some easier paths...  I believe Port is in the same Sectional; they have had some strong individuals and teams in recent years, is that a change since 2009?

Any other changes in terms of regional and sectional pairings that could possibly explain this?  Further, I know Menasha came through Rapids a couple of years ago; with 7 straight finalists for Rapids that year and 12 going to state, that only left 16 other slots for approximately 15-16 teams to share...

Probably no silver bullet, but a clip of them.

petertherooster

Plus Menasha is out of the FVA now and Hortonville is in, so I think that will help bring this number up.

Dale Einerson

Quote from: petertherooster on January 13, 2015, 09:00:01 PM
Plus Menasha is out of the FVA now and Hortonville is in, so I think that will help bring this number up.

If Hortonville goes through the same Sectional as prior years, that means Pulaski, Bay Port and Rapids, plus of course about 12 others to get through.  Hortonville is always tough with a lot of talented guys, but a relatively tough Sectional to go through.

I am going with "the FVA is fine," as well as, it is just a large combination of factors and random fluctuations.