ESPN to boost coverage for NCAA wrestling championships in OKC

Started by TomM, February 19, 2014, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

ESPN to boost coverage for NCAA wrestling championships in OKC  
http://newsok.com/article/3935261

All matches will be covered for the first time on either a network or ESPN3
By Mel Bracht   Published: February 19, 2014 
ESPN plans to treat college wrestling fans to its most extensive coverage ever of the NCAA Championships next month at Chesapeake Energy Arena. For the first time, fans will be able to watch all of the matches of their favorite wrestlers.

ESPN will provide coverage of all eight mats on its digital platform, ESPN3, and network coverage on ESPNU and ESPN will increase from 11-plus hours to 19 hours, covering all sessions of the championships March 20-22.

"We certainly have taken an aggressive approach this year for our coverage," said Brent Colborne, director of Programming & Championships for NCAA Championships for ESPN. "We will be showcasing every single match and every single mat throughout the entire championship across our networks and platforms."

The increased coverage also will boost ESPN personnel for the championships. Including ESPN3 mat reporters, about 15 announcers will be used to go with about 50 staffers.

Ratings for last year's championship round from Des Moines, Iowa, on ESPN were up 50 percent from 2012 (0.6 vs. 0.4), thanks to added excitement from Cornell wrestler Kyle Dake winning his fourth NCAA title at an unprecedented fourth different weight. Dake defeated Penn State's David Taylor, 5-4, at 165 pounds, the final match of the night, as Penn State won its third consecutive team title. Viewership for the finals increased 55 percent from 554,000 in 2012 to 860,000.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Ghetto

The only way to get get more coverage is to prove that the viewers are there. Gotta spread the word that it's gonna be on.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imnofish

Quote from: Ghetto on February 19, 2014, 10:19:07 PM
The only way to get get more coverage is to prove that the viewers are there. Gotta spread the word that it's gonna be on.

Hopefully, it's live, rather than recorded and then played in the middle of the night.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

crossface21

Considering where the coverage was even just 7 or 8 years ago, I think this is awesome. I always have people over that weekend for both the NCAA Tournaments going on that weekend. Hook my computer up to a TV and have multiple TV's going.  It's gonna be even better that this year we can actually pick who we want to watch rather than be at the mercy of whoever decides that stuff.

imnofish

Quote from: crossface21 on February 21, 2014, 06:41:40 PM
Considering where the coverage was even just 7 or 8 years ago, I think this is awesome. I always have people over that weekend for both the NCAA Tournaments going on that weekend. Hook my computer up to a TV and have multiple TV's going.  It's gonna be even better that this year we can actually pick who we want to watch rather than be at the mercy of whoever decides that stuff.

+1   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!