RL vs. Coleman

Started by Gutwrench, February 19, 2014, 09:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkKnight

Quote from: Karl on March 06, 2014, 03:40:03 PM
I don't see either one of these two beating Spring Valley

I'm pretty sure both teams would have beat SVE.

DarkKnight

I thought Random Lake had Coleman beat for a while... but Hunter Stodola pulled a nice upset and Blanchard was able to pin KOhn at 113. Hats of to you guys, you gave us our best match at the state tournament.

hasbeen

I'd say I can only imagine the emotions running through the RL team after a heart breaking end of the season like that, but I've been there so I know exactly what your thinking. I was on the '90 RL team that came up a little short at state so I've been in your shoes. You can run down the matches now and say "what if", but after all is said and done you can all be very proud of what you did accomplish. That was a dual that no one will forget and overall a season to be proud of. And even though I don't live in the district anymore and I'm actually trying to help build a team to unseat the Mighty Rams, today I'm proud to be a Ram wrestling alum. You guys represented your team, school and town well and have nothing to hang your heads about. Having said all of that I can understand why none of you want to hear people say "nice job" and "we're still proud of you". You'd give anything to get right back on that mat to have another go at it...That will never change. You'll always wish you had one more chance. But eventually you'll look back with only fond memories of this time in your life and be thankful that you were part of something special.

Fabulous Falcons

I am also a RLHS alumnus and very proud of this year's squad.

What coaches and young wrestlers need to study is how perennial powerhouses get it done year in and year out. Young wrestlers watch winning and sometimes the uniform is the most important part of the equation. These communities expect winning (they pack the stands religiously regardless of how there team is doing) and their wrestlers expect to win. Coaches from these programs don't have to tell the wrestlers their jobs during a dual. The better kids are always looking to score more bonus points for the team. The kids that are not as strong are looking to limit the loss to 3 points and when the opportunity presents itself they will pin even state place winners. In the first example Matt Pell of LC during dual meets was always working for the pin from the first whistle until the match was finished. I saw Tom Mann 3rd state place winner (Kiel/Two Rivers) manhandling a wrestler from Ellsworth (although it appeared this way) and this kid set him up . . .threw him to his back and pinned him. Kids from great programs don't care who their wrestling. Brian Barbiaux LC 3X state champion is wrestling a JV wrestler from Lodi and the Lodi kid takes him down. . .yes he beat the Lodi kid but he had his hands full. Jack Jensen from Sheboygan told kids, "Regardless of your opponent. . .don't get psyched out over rankings, just wrestle the body."  On any given day anyone can beat anyone.

Keep chipping away. . .Random had the first Sheboygan County individual state champion "King Arthur", so it is only fitting that someday they will have the first team champion in Sheboygan County. GOOD LUCK! :-)

Howard Ruff: "It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."