thequad

1997 River Falls
103-Tony Black 2nd
112-Kevin Black 1st
130-Brady Cudd 1st
135-Landon Lueck Dnp
!52-Phil Meier 1st
275-Joe Cudd 1st
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

thequad

2005 Luxemburg Casco
103-Adam Zhern DNP
112-Brian Barbeaux 1st
119-Eric Metzler 1st
130-Zac Cibula 1st
135-Eric Enderby 1st
140-Zac Enderby 4th
145-Brad Zeiiner 5th
160 Dennis Reckleburg 3rd
171 Brett Arendt 4th
189 Jon Treml 2nd
275 Alex Cornette 5th
I believe this is the best performance ever by one team in the individual state tournament.

wrestlingshoes

Last Ride I believe too in 96 Durand lost to Duffy of Hudson in the finals at conference and was not a conf champ that year I may be wrong but I believe it was conference were his only loss came before winning a state title, I say before because I believe he lost a close match in the team state finals with the Rapids kid who had placed 3rd individually. Hopefully I got that right he's my nephew and that's how I remember It, some great R.F. teams in the 1990's though. L.C in 2005 was one of the best along with Athens in the earl 90's....

littleguy301

Quote from: npope on February 18, 2014, 05:08:15 PM
Quote from: The Last Ride on February 18, 2014, 03:36:38 PM

That is a good story and people should use it as an example of what can happen. Pretty cool... I think Cudd broke hurt is leg playing Hudson. Nat, one more question, there was a Gee Pope that qualified for state in 71, was he related? And either Cudd or Jenkins was very good at the ankle pick

Yes, Gee is my older brother - ended up being a two-time AA for UW-River Falls. He was the head coach at Stevens Point for a number of years. And yes, both Cudd and Jenkins simply loved to ankle pick the big boys - they would go down with a thud when they hit the move. Ride, I didn't know you were old enough to have seen them in action (and remember it). You've been around a long time  ;)

I will ask Mike the next time I see him about the thud.

by the way pope, I was still in diapers but I know someone that has explained those stories to me very well ;) You may know him well also.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

npope

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 19, 2014, 01:11:05 AM

by the way pope, I was still in diapers but I know someone that has explained those stories to me very well ;) You may know him well also.

Ask him about Laska from Sparta. Jenkins was a 200 pound heavyweight and Laska was probably much closer to 300 pounds (no weight limit in those days) - he was a behemoth and towered over Jenkins in the state semi-finals. If memory serves me correct, Jenkins put hit to his back with an ankle pick and stuck him. Looked like something out of David and Goliath.

As for the diapers LG, don't worry, you'll be back in them soon enough, just give it a little more time  ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

littleguy301

Quote from: npope on February 19, 2014, 05:34:45 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on February 19, 2014, 01:11:05 AM

Ask him about Laska from Sparta. Jenkins was a 200 pound heavyweight and Laska was probably much closer to 300 pounds (no weight limit in those days) - he was a behemoth and towered over Jenkins in the state semi-finals. If memory serves me correct, Jenkins put hit to his back with an ankle pick and stuck him. Looked like something out of David and Goliath.

As for the diapers LG, don't worry, you'll be back in them soon enough, just give it a little more time  ;)

Alright now smart ash ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

littleguy301

Quote from: thequad on February 18, 2014, 06:32:33 PM
2005 Luxemburg Casco
103-Adam Zhern DNP
112-Brian Barbeaux 1st
119-Eric Metzler 1st
130-Zac Cibula 1st
135-Eric Enderby 1st
140-Zac Enderby 4th
145-Brad Zeiiner 5th
160 Dennis Reckleburg 3rd
171 Brett Arendt 4th
189 Jon Treml 2nd
275 Alex Cornette 5th
I believe this is the best performance ever by one team in the individual state tournament.

Did they let that 103 pounder even ride the bus home from the state meet :D Just kidding, that is amazing to say the least!

Quad, I have a question, wasnt there a back up 103 pounder at one time make it to state at an upper weight and was the 189 pounder that guy?

thequad

LG, Yes Jon Treml was a backup at 103 as a fr. He lost in OT as a sr at 189.

Gordy M

Possible mag pie there waterboy, we'll see...

scrub4life1234

littleguy301

Quote from: thequad on February 19, 2014, 02:58:43 PM
LG, Yes Jon Treml was a backup at 103 as a fr. He lost in OT as a sr at 189.

That is one HUGE weight jump during high school!!!!!!!!! One of the biggest I know of!

I thought Josh Chelf going from 112 to 171 and making state all 4 years was a big jump (plus he wrestled at 215 for conference) that was big but to jump from one lower to one higher was pretty big.

Flatbottom

Early 90s. Athens team. They must have had 4 or 5 champs in one year and a couple place finishers. If I can remember.  Underwood, Brunke, Zinkovich sp, Ange.. I thought I remember them having like 6 or 7 in the finals. 92' or 93'
I'm not a product of my environment my environment is a product of me

Northwoods

I remember Zinkowhich vs Leo Geotte from Minong 92' State Finals.I'll never forget that war!
Wisconsin wrestling #1

shoes

thequad

Athens state place winners

3 1st
2 2nd
1 3rd

3 1st
2 3rd
3 5th

3 1st
2 2nd
1 3rd