Need advice on taking fishing trip to Canada.

Started by TomM, February 16, 2014, 12:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

My two brothers and I are seeking advice on taking a fishing trip to Canada in August.

Anybody have good experience or advice on where to go?  Know of any lodges you'd recommend?  We are not millionaires, so not looking for the top priced plan.  Would want a fishing guide some or all of the time.
Thinking three days of fishing.  
Where in Canada to go?  etc..  Not even sure what questions I should be asking.  We don't have a lot of fishing experience, but we know we want to go.  Might like a fly-in?
All advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Houndhead

What will be your primary species of fish targeted? Walleye or bass would provide the most action for inexperienced fishermen.

Handles II

How much $ and if  you want a fly-in or would prefer a drive-in are the main questions, and, what type of fishing would you primary target? Walleye, pike, smallmouth, trout?
You could then narrow it down by province as well, Manitoba, Ontario.
My parents went for about 10 years to a drive-in near Kenora with excellent fishing, full-time guides and excellent fishing each year. They are in their 70's now and not into that far of a drive or they would still be going. I could get you the info if you like.

TomM

Thanks!
My brothers said Walleye, Northern, Bass.
Don't really need a fly-in.. just curious about it.. but no, not a fly-in (my brothers said no)
Ontario would be the target area.
We want late August.
Price: We are looking at something in $300/day or less price range (each) to include boat, lodging, guide, food etc. (is this feasible?)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Houndhead

Quote from: TomM on February 16, 2014, 01:05:13 PM
Thanks!
My brothers said Walleye, Northern, Bass.
Don't really need a fly-in.. just curious about it.. but no, not a fly-in (my brothers said no)
Ontario would be the target area.
We want late August.
Price: We are looking at something in $300/day or less price range (each) to include boat, lodging, guide, food etc. (is this feasible?)

I will make some inquiries at work at see if someone has a good recommendation.

imnofish

http://campwaterfall.com/

We tried several resorts in the Lake of the Woods and Sunset Country areas and this place was the best, hands-down.  It was recommended by a co-worker who went there for over 20 years.  We went there annually for several years and our family usually rented 3 or 4 cabins for a week, so that should tell you something.  It is near Kenora, near the mouth of the Rushing River (about 1/4 mile or so upstream, beneath the last waterfall), before it flows into Blindfold Lake.  The river flows from famous Dogtooth Lake (huge walleyes) into Blindfold Lake, which has great pike, bass, and crappie fishing, with a few big walleyes.  We even caught big pike, smallies, and walleyes off the docks below the waterfall, on several occasions.  From Blindfold Lake, you can do a rail portage (hand crank) down into Lake of the Woods (Route Bay), where we caught loads of walleyes and many smallmouth bass.  During the years we fished there, some of our top catches included: many pike in the 10-15 lb. class, with the largest being over 20 lbs.; many walleye limits (good eaters), with the largest about 7 lbs. (we saw others catch some up to 9 or so); a few largemouth bass, but mostly smallies (fish 5 lbs. and over every year); lots of nice crappie limits, with my biggest being close to 15 inches, but we usually kept limits of fish by releasing anything under 10 inches.  There is a nightly crappie bite in "the narrows" area of Blindfold Lake, that started at a certain time (7 PM?) like clockwork.  We always were there in early June, so I'm sure there will be an adjustment in that schedule, though.  The same people have owned and run the resort forever.  Their names are Rob and Nancy Rummery.  After Rob retired from teaching, they sold half of the resort, but have kept the half on their side of the bridge/river.  They are wonderful people and very helpful to fishermen seeking angling hints.   Click on the "rates" button on their homepage and you will see that their rates are extremely reasonable.  If you decide to go there, feel free to PM me for additional fishing info.  I'll be glad to offer whatever help I can.  Although I've never fished there in August, I have fished elsewhere in the region during that time of year and I could also give you some info. about the waters available to you there, based on our experiences in June.  They don't have a guide in residence, but if you need one, there are several in the area.  We honestly never found the need for one, though.  P.S. I forgot to mention that there are muskies in Lake of the Woods, also.

I just remembered that there is another place on this lake, just down the road.  If you want to fish this lake, but can't get in at the first place I mentioned (or aren't comfortable with the idea of navigating the river every day), give Tyc's a try.  I've never stayed there, but it looks okay, from what I've seen and heard.  http://www.tycsresort.ca/index.htm
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

When I was young my grandpa always dragged us to this place.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=Gummeson's+camp+ignace,+ontario&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Gummeson's+camp+ignace,+ontario&cid=3943822071662315781&ei=tjEBU9SFEYXOyAHBm4CgCQ&ved=0CDcQrwswAQ

Best fishing I ever had. You name it, you can fish for it, there. 100 miles west of Thunder bay. Bring plenty of aluminum foil and a caste iron fry pan and a $7 gallon of corn oil. Lasts longer than canola. Don't get pretty and think olive oil. Ruins caste iron. I use it for eggs and such, though, on non-stick.

Still, when it comes to northern, I like the whole fish cooked in foil w/ butter and lime juice. Just gut it; leave the head and skin on.

Biggest northerns I've ever seen, up there. Good walleye fishing, and if you walk back from the main road a few miles, there's a little lake full of trout.

Thing is you catch fish. Swimming? Even leeches the size of mice doesn't stop me. Still, they got big blood suckers.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on February 16, 2014, 03:58:00 PM

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=Gummeson's+camp+ignace,+ontario&fb=1&gl=us&hq=Gummeson's+camp+ignace,+ontario&cid=3943822071662315781&ei=tjEBU9SFEYXOyAHBm4CgCQ&ved=0CDcQrwswAQ

Best fishing I ever had. You name it, you can fish for it, there. 100 miles west of Thunder bay. Bring plenty of aluminum foil and a caste iron fry pan and a $7 gallon of corn oil. Lasts longer than canola. Don't get pretty and think olive oil. Ruins caste iron. I use it for eggs and such, though, on non-stick.

Still, when it comes to northern, I like the whole fish cooked in foil w/ butter and lime juice. Just gut it; leave the head and skin on.

Biggest northerns I've ever seen, up there. Good walleye fishing, and if you walk back from the main road a few miles, there's a little lake full of trout.

Thing is you catch fish. Swimming? Even leeches the size of mice doesn't stop me. Still, they got big blood suckers.

Great way to save money on bait! ;D
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

I was used as a child. Yes, for that...bloodsuckers. Like a goldang human bait!!!

I loved it and always felt I contributed by finding bait; and catching a northern that was longer than I was tall. Made for a good picture. Seriously, I used to be able to catch enough leeches, frogs, salamanders, hellgrammites, crayfish, clams, little fish, etc., to fish for a few hours a day. Prolly illegal now.

Many years since I've been to Gummeson's. Loved it when I went. Owners were/are regular people. Larry, the owner when I went was great, as was his father, former owner. I doubt the apple falls too far from the tree.

imnofish

Quote from: bigG on February 16, 2014, 04:20:29 PM
I was used as a child. Yes, for that...bloodsuckers. Like a goldang human bait!!!

I loved it and always felt I contributed by finding bait; and catching a northern that was longer than I was tall. Made for a good picture. Seriously, I used to be able to catch enough leeches, frogs, salamanders, hellgrammites, crayfish, clams, little fish, etc., to fish for a few hours a day. Prolly illegal now.

Many years since I've been to Gummeson's. Loved it when I went. Owners were/are regular people. Larry, the owner when I went was great, as was his father, former owner. I doubt the apple falls too far from the tree.

Sounds like a great place.  No website? 

bigG

They're not as up with the times. Phone number if you need it.

imnofish

First place I went to in Canada was like that.  Super cheap and very rustic, though.  The perfect "guy place."   8)

Houndhead

Quote from: bigG on February 16, 2014, 03:58:00 PM

Do you remember what lake it was? I stayed in Ignace on Scotch Lake when I was a kid. My grandpa and grandma went there very year. Then in 85, we stayed at Raven Lake in Ignace on a spring bear hunt.

bigG

I just remember Larry Gummeson owned it. Called my dad and relived some memories. Great place to stay. Gotta watch for moose and your stinkin' bears big time. :)

imnofish

I used your google map link and zoomed in on the spot denoting the resort.  It is apparently on Mameigwess Lake.  Don't ask me to pronounce it, though.   ;D