rivalry

Started by dad 2 5, February 07, 2014, 10:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad 2 5

Who do you want to see picked as WI rivalry and why?
Some should be easy:
Maryland - Rutgers
MSU - Michigan
PSU - OSU
IL - Nw
Prd - Ind
MN - Iowa

looks like that leaves Neb - UW

or do they go Iowa - Neb; MN - UW?

DocWrestling

For wrestling they cannot break up Iowa/Minnesota
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Gutwrench

Is there a background to the question?  Is the BTN pushing something?  Or is this a random thought on a slow Friday morning?

My first thought is always MN for a UW rivalry, but I can see Doc's point with a Minny-Iowa wrestling rivalry.  I'm good with manufacturing a UW-Neb rivalry as a second choice.  I think the UW-Neb rivalry on the football field is a growing one, so let's spill it over to a rivalry on the mat as well.  Red/white colors are the same.  Both have a blue collar/farmer type persona.  Sounds good to me.

dad 2 5

Background:
Barry mentioned it on Tuesday in his little update. Driven by big ten network of course.
I thought the same with it being dependent on the sport but my guess is BTN wants it across the board.

crossface21

For it to be a rivalry, it'd be nice for it to be competitive so I think Nebraska would be a good fit especially with them being fairly new to the conference it's not like Nebraska has a long time rival already. I think Nebraska and Wisconsin compare very well with each other which would make it interesting just about every year. It sucks if you have Team A and Team B and everyone knows that Team A is going to win for the next 10 years. Doesn't really generate a lot of buzz among the fans which I think is a big part of rivalries. 

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

If it has to be one rival for all sports, it will probably have WI/MN and IA/NE.  The Big Ten will not break up the WI/MN Football Rivalry.

Perhaps Tom Brands would have to show J Robinson how to use twitter to schedule a match !! :-)
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

badgerjohn

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on February 07, 2014, 12:15:20 PM
If it has to be one rival for all sports, it will probably have WI/MN and IA/NE.  The Big Ten will not break up the WI/MN Football Rivalry.

Perhaps Tom Brands would have to show J Robinson how to use twitter to schedule a match !! :-)

https://twitter.com/jrobinson3

Maybe not   :o
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

billymurphy

I heard Tom Brands say that Penn State is Iowa's official rivalry and I think Cael agreed with that when the reporter confirmed that.

Musky Hunter

Quote from: dad 2 5 on February 07, 2014, 10:16:15 AM
Some should be easy:
Maryland - Rutgers
MSU - Michigan
PSU - OSU
IL - Nw
Prd - Ind
MN - Iowa

I was in Canada last summer fishing for a week and there were a group of 10 from Nebraska there as well.  I can tell you from that small sample that they all feel Wisconsin is their new rival.  We just talked about football, basketball and wrestling.  One of the "kids" was on the Nebraska team.  Such a new rivalry is tough to get behind but they all wanted to beat Wisconsin in a bad way. 

hammen

Quote from: Musky Hunter on February 07, 2014, 03:18:33 PM
Some should be easy:
Maryland - Rutgers
MSU - Michigan
PSU - OSU
IL - Nw
Prd - Ind
MN - Iowa

I was in Canada last summer fishing for a week and there were a group of 10 from Nebraska there as well.  I can tell you from that small sample that they all feel Wisconsin is their new rival.  We just talked about football, basketball and wrestling.  One of the "kids" was on the Nebraska team.  Such a new rivalry is tough to get behind but they all wanted to beat Wisconsin in a bad way. 

I'd be pretty salty too after the beat down our football team gave them on national television in the 2012 B1G championship game.

billymurphy

Keep in mind the guys travel by bus to get there.  I predict we choose Minnesota.

Musky Hunter

Quote from: hammen on February 07, 2014, 03:27:36 PM
Some should be easy:
Maryland - Rutgers
MSU - Michigan
PSU - OSU
IL - Nw
Prd - Ind
MN - Iowa

I'd be pretty salty too after the beat down our football team gave them on national television in the 2012 B1G championship game.

LOL they were. 

TomM

Quote from: hammen on February 07, 2014, 03:27:36 PM
Some should be easy:
Maryland - Rutgers
MSU - Michigan
PSU - OSU
IL - Nw
Prd - Ind
MN - Iowa

I was in Canada last summer fishing for a week and there were a group of 10 from Nebraska there as well.  I can tell you from that small sample that they all feel Wisconsin is their new rival.  We just talked about football, basketball and wrestling.  One of the "kids" was on the Nebraska team.  Such a new rivalry is tough to get behind but they all wanted to beat Wisconsin in a bad way.  

I was in East Lansing at a local joint watching the Spartans (on TV) defeat Ohio State for the Big Ten football title in December.  It was not obvious I was from Wisconsin as I had no Wisconsin garb on.  As the game ended with MSU winning at least three guys shouted out variations of "So There Wisconsin".... not exactly those words... but you get the idea.  I was a little surprised.... So MSU must see UW as a rival as big well.  At least the students in that place did.... or so I gathered.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

hammen

HATE MSU for many reasons.

Their hatred for us probably grew quite a bit after Super Bowl Champion Russell The Muscle Wilson led the badger victory in the first ever B1G Championship game.

theunionchair

As much as this makes for interesting banter in a Big Ten bar (do you all remember the old Jingles), this whole thing seems contrived and silly. Your rival is simply the team that you dislike the most at that moment. In football, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State. For Michigan State, it is Notre Dame and Michigan (although Michigan fans think that Ohio State is a bigger rival than MSU. In the 1980's, Notre Dame's biggest rival was University of Miami. The teams absolutely hated each other. Between 1930-1940, for the Badgers, it would have been University of Minnesota in football.

Rivalries develop; they are not made!  I can say, I form a rival opinion on the most arrogant fans or players in a sport. It is hard to start a "rivalry" with some of the nicest fans in sports--Cornhuskers. Behind Badger fans, Cornhuskers are the best!

Football: Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan (although they were beat down quite a bit). Any other teams would put us at a lower level.
Wrestling: Iowa, Penn State, Minnesota, Illinois (yes our rival should be the top teams in the conference)
Basketball: Ohio State, Indiana, Illinois (still hate Illinois from the Lou Henson years).
Hockey: Minnesota! (this is the most natural rivalry out of all of them for Badgers).
Women's Volleyball: Minnesota, Penn State
Crew: any east coast or Ivy League team!
Baseball: oops. We dropped this sport and added women's softball