Should coaches hold out "less experienced" wrestlers?

Started by Alumni, February 05, 2014, 10:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alumni

Quote from: imnofish on February 09, 2014, 01:31:34 PM
Quote from: guillotine on February 09, 2014, 02:46:55 AM
Team in question loses the championship by 24  points. Forfeited 5 weight classes on purpose.

Do we know if filling those weight classes with kids the coach deems unready would have resulted in an additional 25 points and assured a victory, though? 

Yes

imnofish

I can see having confidence that it could have made that big a difference, based on past match ups, etc., but in reality it is impossible to actually know that success would occur.  Even with our best kids, nothing is guaranteed.  I can understand why you would want the team to have that chance, though.  Best of luck to your kids, going forward! 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Alumni

Quote from: imnofish on February 09, 2014, 05:22:28 PM
I can see having confidence that it could have made that big a difference, based on past match ups, etc., but in reality it is impossible to actually know that success would occur.  Even with our best kids, nothing is guaranteed.  I can understand why you would want the team to have that chance, though.  Best of luck to your kids, going forward! 

Just by weighing in and taking last place those 5 weight classes would have earned 36 team points,they lost by 24. Not impossible at all to figure that out.
Just weighing in 3 of those kids and winning one match against kids with records consisting of 6-16, 7-23,5-16, 4-13, 2-6, 3-13, 8-11, 8-12 would have been plenty to win the tournament.
Just seems odd to tell wrestlers they aren't good enough to compete with these great VARSITY wrestlers with those stellar records.
You can spin it any way you want but not allowing those wrestlers to participate when they wanted to very badly and are more than capable to compete and place somewhere in the middle of their respective weight classes, took the conference championship away from those kids.
No its not the end of the world, but they all put their time in and had one of their goals taken away from them for no real reason whatsoever.
Next up Regionals, watch for the same thing to happen.

imnofish

Quote from: Alumni on February 09, 2014, 06:37:24 PM
Quote from: imnofish on February 09, 2014, 05:22:28 PM

Just by weighing in and taking last place those 5 weight classes would have earned 36 team points,they lost by 24. Not impossible at all to figure that out.
Just weighing in 3 of those kids and winning one match against kids with records consisting of 6-16, 7-23,5-16, 4-13, 2-6, 3-13, 8-11, 8-12 would have been plenty to win the tournament.
Just seems odd to tell wrestlers they aren't good enough to compete with these great VARSITY wrestlers with those stellar records.
You can spin it any way you want but not allowing those wrestlers to participate when they wanted to very badly and are more than capable to compete and place somewhere in the middle of their respective weight classes, took the conference championship away from those kids.
No its not the end of the world, but they all put their time in and had one of their goals taken away from them for no real reason whatsoever.
Next up Regionals, watch for the same thing to happen.

Wasn't aware of your conference tournament format or scoring, but it makes sense the way you describe it.  Good luck to your kids at Regionals.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!