When will WI have true team regional/sectionals?

Started by Handles II, February 05, 2014, 02:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNbadger

Weekend I : Team sections, dual format 8 teams, we do ours on a Friday afternoon/evening.
                 We used to have bigger sections so it was Friday night/Saturday
                 Single elimination, 8 teams at state tournament

Weekend II  Individual Sections
                 Friday/Saturday
                 Champ and Runner-up go to state, 16 man bracket

Week/Weekend III State Tournament, Team and Individual

Some places still have conference tournaments
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

Mat Warrior

I am sure a lot of wrestlers take pride in being a conference champ. Especially those that might not make the state tournament.

I agree, the format needs to change but don't take a memory away from the wrestlers. Some may have goals to be a state champ while others it may be to be a conference champ. After all, it is about them.

statman

we have team sections 1 weekend. the next weekend is individual sections. the week after that is individual state then team state. so once in the dual. once at team sections. once at individual sections. once possibly at individual state
they don't call me statman for nothin

Firstinline

Woody. What help would it take from the community or Forum members to get the WIAA to change from our current format on how we define Team Sectional qualifers? Would a petition help in any way?

Jim Rockford

woody53

Most changes that the WIAA will back, will come from the Coaches Association.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

boowrestle

Last i heard coaches association wanted top 2 teams in Div1 out of regionals to qualify for team sectionals and guess what wiaa shot it down! :(
you can run but you cannot hide.

1Iota

Quote from: chuckref on February 06, 2014, 08:34:32 AM
I really think we are dropping the ball in Wisconsin by not pushing the team aspect of Wrestling more like Minnesota does.  It would not be that difficult to run a single elimination dual tournament for regionals.  It could most likely be done in an evening the week before regionals.  Most D2 and D3 regionals have 6 teams so you could od it with 5 duals, with the first 2 rounds running at the same time.  If you had 7 or 8 teams, you could do the 1st round the week before conference and then have the "Final 4" the week before regionals.  Or like Spartan said eliminate the Conference Tournaments.  I would rather see my scenario since there is a lot of tradition in some of the conference.

Chuck

I agree with this.  The other advantage of Team Duals is it creates a venue in which the school can come out & support the team.  You're not going to get a large group of students to come to a regional meet that last all day & the criteria is hard to understand.  When our HS team competes against another team we get decent support from the students who come out to support their classmates.  Even if they don't understand all of the details of scoring, they understand who is winning & what the overall results are.  Our team made it to the team sectionals last year & we had a full busload of students come to support them.  It was loud & very exciting for the wrestlers.  You will never achieve that in a tournament setting. 

Ghetto

Quote from: woody53 on February 07, 2014, 07:11:56 AM
Most changes that the WIAA will back, will come from the Coaches Association.

Do you know the reasoning regarding not having the top two teams from D1 wrestle at team sectionals? I thought it passed through to the highest level, and then was shot down. I don't remember there being any reasons given.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

boowrestle

you can run but you cannot hide.

bigoil

DarkKnight

Darn conference alignment. I'm not happy with some of that.