Rules Question

Started by beastmode, February 03, 2014, 10:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beastmode

In high school, if you are in a "potential dangerous" situation and get put on your back, is the controlling wrestler awarded near fall points? Saw this yesterday in a college match, wrestler from Penn State scored a reversal and took a Michigan wrestler to his back, however no near fall points were awarded because the official stopped the match due to a potentially dangerous move.
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

shouldvewrestled

Only awarded nearfall points if the nearfall was being counted prior to officials judgement of potentially dangerous.  If the official felt it was potentially dangerous before nearfall was being counted then no nearfall is how I think the ruling goes.

thequad

I would say shouldve is right.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

Spartan

In the sequence you are talking about was in the 157lb match, the ref gave the reversal and then waved it off. After awarding the reversal however the bottom wrestler would have to gain control before he would be awarded backpoints, and only up to the point of when the move became potentially dangerous.  It would have to  be seriously potential to stop it when the agressor has the defender on his back. That is where coaches get really crazy.

Quack

A few years back, my son was wrestling at the BSG. The other kid would throw my son in an illegal headlock, the ref would count for back points. Then stop the match award the one point illegal headlock point, then award the take down and back points. He did this over and over. By the way he was a WIAA ref.
Come off, like you go on.
Live by the headlock, die by the headlock

beastmode

Quote from: Quack on February 04, 2014, 01:28:31 PM
A few years back, my son was wrestling at the BSG. The other kid would throw my son in an illegal headlock, the ref would count for back points. Then stop the match award the one point illegal headlock point, then award the take down and back points. He did this over and over. By the way he was a WIAA ref.

This is coming from a guy who doesn't have a wrestling background or any rules experience. I would assume that as soon as a an illegal move was in play, that any pin or points that were scored because of it, would be waved. Am I wrong?
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.
Steve Prefontaine

thequad

The wrestler that made an illegal move can't score after that until the match is stopped, but the offended wrestler can.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.