What is a slam?

Started by tmandr, February 02, 2014, 11:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarons23

I thought time was the second refs responsibility , he can watch clock while primary ref stays focussed on action.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

imnofish

I remember seeing a secondary ref call a defensive pin, in a WIAA State Finals match, many years ago.  He did not confer with the other official, who was monitoring the defensive wrestler's shoulders which were also near the mat.  Apparently, there are some unique situations when the secondary official can and should make the call.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Spartan

Quote from: imnofish on February 04, 2014, 02:12:19 AM
I remember seeing a secondary ref call a defensive pin, in a WIAA State Finals match, many years ago.  He did not confer with the other official, who was monitoring the defensive wrestler's shoulders which were also near the mat.  Apparently, there are some unique situations when the secondary official can and should make the call.

Fish, under no circumstances in modern officiating, is the second official allowed to make that call. The second official is just an observer with very specific duties that are spelled out in the rule book. He does not talk to the coaches, make any calls, during the match, he lets the head official know if he sees locked hands grasping of clothing, ect but it still remains the head officials call in the end

chuckref

Besides that, we do not use an assistant official in the WIAA series tournament.  I think we should but that's another rtopic.

Chuck

imnofish

Okay.  Thanks for bringing me up to date, guys.  I think it was back in the 80's that I observed that call being made.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Big House

It's a great breakfast at Denny's
People are always gonna talk and to tell you the truth, I love it. I love the attention.
I do what I do because it puts a smile on my face . . . and I'm the only person in the world that matters. - Jenna Jameson

imnofish

Spartan81

Getting back to the original discussion about whether or not this was a slam.   What a joke of a no call !! One of the most obvious slams I have ever seen.  First and foremost the referees job should be the safety as much as possible of the two competitors.  He was more worried about counting nearfall then noticing that the LC kid had been knocked out by the no control from the Merrill kid back to the mat.

eagle91

Agreed with you spartan81 that was a slam and nothing was done about it.If anybody has a strong stomach you can watch it live and you can decide for yourself if slam or not go to youtube its called wrestler slammed on head and you can make the call. The Merril kid should've been dq.

thequad

Sure looked like a slam to me. Picked him up and brought him down right on his head.
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

imnofish

Quote from: thequad on February 05, 2014, 05:47:41 PM
Sure looked like a slam to me. Picked him up and brought him down right on his head.

Pile driver...  Lucky his neck wasn't broken.   :P