Northern Lakes Regional

Started by 14484, January 29, 2014, 03:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why don't they put Coleman (or some other decent team) back into this regional so that the regional winner can make a respectable showing at Team Sectionals?

CLC FAN

Do you mean the 3 Lakes Regional?  I guess I wouldn't say that regional is outstandingly weak.  I see the Coleman Regional and the Stratford/Edgar Regional as being very strong, but the other two seem about equal/average to me - no? 

DarkKnight

your absolutely right, its sad to see COleman go south and have 4 good teams in one regionals, and no teams worthy of state in one regional. its just the cold hard truth, by no means I am saying the northern regional doesn't have excellent wrestlers, it just doesn't have a complete team capable of winning a dual against a good team.

wrastle63

I agree. There are two very tough regionals in this sectional for teams, and two very weak regionals. There are a couple teams in Coleman's regional that would easily win that regional.

Wrestler11

What bothers me the most is, some individuals will probably be staying home instead of going to sect, since this is a weak reg. 

PH

It could be worse.  At least they are not in the Sturgeon Bay regional with Luxemberg-Casco, Two Rivers, Wrightstown, Southern Door, and Denmark.  There are a lot of third place finishers in that regional that would have a shot at placing third at the Seymour sectional (and we all know how tough that sectional is to begin with), but won't get that chance.  The problem that I noticed is that the WIAA likes to go strictly by geographics.  On that note, good luck to everyone in that sectional, especially the cwc.

PCA

The WIAA can make the 3 Lakes regional have 7 teams instead of the other regional having 7teams.

PH

That is a great point PCA, but the only school that I think the WIAA has catered to in the past is Kaukauna.  That is when them and Rapids were always in the same sectional, and now are not.  I totally agree with you.

DarkKnight

pretty good points, I'm sure the wiaa will change it once again... they seem change it once and awhile and switch Coleman around. can't wait til next weekend, some huge matches coming up for some individuals.

firemanscarry

Coleman seems to be the swing team in this regional, by that I mean they seem to be the one that gets moved from one regional to the next every few years.  Geography plays a role in that.  In some ways it seems like Peshtigo going up to D2 has changed the landscape quite a bit.  Having that one fewer solid D3 program up in the Northeast corner has taken a nice bit of quality away.  Coleman has become the only D3 school that is consistently good and geographically viable for this region.  The others fight the numbers game something awful.

Crandon has done the best job up here of building their wrestling program in recent years, and should win the regional.  No one from the NLC will beat them, and I don't think Crivitz is going to do it either.

Geographically, Menominee Indian is a ways away from the rest of the teams, but they play in the NLC for football.  This year, they would do wonders in shoring up weak spots in the Three Lakes regional.  They would quite possibly win it.  Lena is nearby, but their numbers are pretty low, and there would still be weights with too few quality guys.  So, unless the WIAA wanted to have Menominee Indian make the long drive, it's either Coleman running roughshod through the regional or having to deal with some weights being very thin.

Even though I love seeing lots of NLC guys get a chance at sectionals, I think overall competitive balance for the four regionals would best be served by moving Coleman back up here.
"If ya wanna be the man, ya gotta beat the man!"

ramjet

We had Coleman in this Region 2010 2011 and that is the what made this Regional more respectable.

The Three Lakes regional is a weak one. They are weak because for too many years the youth programs suffered and they were not promoted the other reason is just declining numbers in the schools. That being said Coleman suffers the same thing except they are deep in tradition and community backing so the program stays strong year after year.

Now back to reality last year the NLC sent several top quality wrestlers to the State Tournament this year I see 1-2-maybe 3 at the most getting out of the Sectional.

I think Morgan Krueger is a top five wrestler at 132 D3, I think Johnson has good chance but the road is tough to even get to the tournament, he has the tools if he applies them, The other that has chance based on the brackets and wrestlers is Moravec at 106 but again it will be tough road for sure. Issue with Crandon and it will show up at Team Sectionals they did not do the tough tournaments they have in the past they Merril that was basically it. I think this will hurt them outside the NLC and it will show without a doubt. They had one of there top wrestlers fail at getting out of the Regional and he was Ranked HM all year how is that possible other than he was overrated because of his record and the weak schedule?

The WIAA needs to re-arrange this Regional and get some tougher competition in it and that may be Coleman or it may be Menominee Indians or one out of the other regions.

When Coleman was in it the compititon level was far better than it is today if you look at track at the 3-Lakes Regional the weight classes and numbers were pathetic.

The NLC has to collectively take wrestling more serious and get more aggressive with youth wrestling opportunities and start to rebuild the conference.

firemanscarry

Coleman has been in and out of this regional for ages.  My sophomore and junior year they weren't in it, and my senior year they were.  That was 82-84.

I forgot that Gillett/Suring was D3 now.  They went down to Brillion for regionals this year.  They had ten or eleven weights filled.  The Three Lakes regional could have used them.  G/S only put one kid through to sectionals down at Brillion.  So, it's not like it would have taken a lot of pressure off kids at the tougher regional there, but at least there would have been more competition at some weights at Three Lakes.  G/S would have gotten more than one through Three Lakes.  While those kids weren't likely to be State contenders it would have deepened the sectional field a little bit.

ramjet

Yes GS may have added numbers to the a Three Lakes Regional but the quality of wrestling would have been about the same. Coleman at Brillion I think leaves better wrestlers at home because that regional is so stacked. Better to get the top wrestlers through to sectionals than just fill spots for the sake of filling spots or giving "more kids the opportunity".

firemanscarry

Like I said, they wouldn't have taken much pressure off the kids at Brillion.  I do think either Coleman or Menominee has to go to our regional.  Of course when the regional is all the way up in Three Lakes it's a long trip for either.  Crandon and Elcho would be closer for Menominee.  Coleman to Wabeno isn't a bad drive, either.