Odd 195 bracket (Edgar Regional)

Started by firemanscarry, February 17, 2014, 06:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firemanscarry

195 featured two good wrestlers, Tackes from Stratford and Dittman from Edgar.  The only thing was that it looks like no one wrestled.  They were the only two in the bracket and Dittman injury defaulted the final.  Did the match get stopped, or was it never wrestled at all?

I'd heard that Tackes was battling an injury and likely couldn't wrestle this past weekend.  I don't have any connections to Stratford and can't confirm if it is true or not.  I'm just hopeful that the young man will get a chance to wrestle Sectionals this weekend.  He's a very fun wrestler to watch.  I don't know him at all, but he seems like a decent kid.

I've seen plenty of two man brackets in D3 regionals and conference tourneys through the years.  This may be the first time I've ever seen a varsity tourney where no matches were actually wrestled at a given weight.  Is that the way it fell out?
"If ya wanna be the man, ya gotta beat the man!"

foose4

Tackes was healthy and could wrestle. Dittman injury defaulted before match. Dittman was dressed for wrestling it looked like but don't know anything beyond that.
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

firemanscarry

Thanks for that.  Good to know Tackes is healthy, and I hope Dittman is good to go Saturday as well.

It still stands out to me as the only time I've seen a bracket where no one actually wrestled.  I'm sure it's probably happened before.  If you get a two-man bracket and the two kids have wrestled multiple times with the same result every time, they might decide not to do it.  Also, the number of kids who get sick this time of year is pretty high.  So, it's probably happened before.
"If ya wanna be the man, ya gotta beat the man!"

imnofish

If the second place kid was nursing an injury or illness, then it was smart to just advance to sectionals and have another week to get healthy.  Not sure if that was the case here, but it's one explanation that would make sense.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!