This Year's Tournament

Started by sunchip69, January 20, 2014, 04:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RollTide

Quote from: bfboy on February 03, 2014, 11:38:48 AM

Let's hope for everyone to be healthy and eligible.  It makes for an exciting tournament.  

Good luck to everyone!

I agree completely.  Thanks for the picks.  I'm going to copy them and take with for a guide.  So hard to tell where they will all end up, but I think you are very close.  

I'm looking forward to a potential Hansen/Becker match.  I don't even have a pick but I suspect it should be close.  Becker lost 4-2 to the #1 @120.  When he does lose, its almost never by much.

Also looking forward to possible matchup of two conference champs at 220 (Uselman/Fehring).  

Heavy Weight

With the tournament series starting tomorrow. Good luck to all teams looking for conference team titles and to all the individuals hunting for a title of there own.

wrestling135

Deerfield ending up winning the team title as well. Its too bad they weren't healthy when they dualed Creek earlier this year. It would have made for a  more intresting dual. In my opinion deerfield win.

bfboy

Congratulations to Deerfield on their championship.  Their lightweights can really wrestle, they had finalists in the first five weight classes.  A couple notes from the tournament that I noticed.

1.  I feel bad for Schmauz from Horicon.  Not to take away from anyone in the 160 bracket, but Schmauz would have walked through that bracket if he didn't injure his lower leg at the Husty invite.
2.  Thank you Lourdes for helping out with the Trackwrestling side of things.
3.  Knowing that we could see Hansen vs. Becker and Storms vs. Wichman 3 more times this year could make things interesting.
4.  Hall is going to be a force at 126.  Who would of thought he would have been able to handle the weight drop that well.  Tough sectional, but wow!
5.  The youth movement continues.  9 champions will be returning next year (10 if you count Becker's championship from last year).  Congratulations to those five seniors who walk away champions (Gilbertson, Krause, VanderGriten, Kemmerling, and Uselman).
6.  The officiating was hit and miss all day.  It culminated with the Kuphal vs. Kemmerling match at 182.  I commend both wrestlers and coaching staffs for maintaining their composure during the match.  We can do better with our officials for next year.
7.  Thank you Montello for hosting. 
8.  I was impressed with Rio/CF/FR's crowd and their boys on the mat.  Their team is definitely starting to turn it around.
9.  Both dual meet champs finished behind teams they beat in duals earlier in the year.  Interesting.
10.  Good luck to all the Trailways wrestlers as they enter the WIAA series. 

My picks from the Trailways to make it to state...

106: Wilfong (Deer)
113: Hansen (Deer), Becker (JC),  (Gross and Hunter are close)
120: Ellison (Oak), Gilbertson (Deer)
126: Delaney (Deer), Hall (Prince)
132: Wichman (JC), Storms (Deer), Hebbe (Prince)...if he drops
138: No one
145: Dowling (OL)
152: No one
160: No one
170: Kemmerling (JC) or VanderGriten (Deer)...I could see this being a third place match at sectionals
182: Kuphal (Mark)
195: Seufzer (Dodge)
220: Uselman (JC)
285: Stensrud (Mark)

I could see 16 wrestlers heading tot he Kohl Center from the Trailways.  There are a couple sleepers and always upsets.  Should be fun.  Good luck boys and coaches.  It's time to get at it!

RollTide

Nice wrap up BF Boy.

I don't have too much to add.

1) I think Becker is a heck of a wrestler that has a good chance of making the podium this year.  That being said, I think Hansen can end up very high if not at the top of the podium.  He looks nearly impossible to score on from any position.  I don't know how many wrestlers have scored on him this year, but I doubt many.

2) I don't like to complain about reffing on the forum as it often comes off as whining, but I have to agree that we need to do better.  I don't have an ax to grind as I didn't have any bad calls go against my son.  It was just painful to watch.  I'll leave it at that.

3) Hall is definitely a monster at 126.  He won't be giving up the length that he gives up at 132.  I predict that he will knock off at least one of the three seniors in that sectional (Kraus, Mudlaff, Wiese).

4) Becker, Ellison and Gonzales are all former conference champs returning next year also. (Total 12, I think)

5) I think that either Gross or Hunter will make it to state. I think it will come down to a head to head between them.

6) Haven't heard if Fehring from Lourdes will be back for regionals.  He would be another possible SQ.

7) Good luck the rest of the way. 

Big House

People are always gonna talk and to tell you the truth, I love it. I love the attention.
I do what I do because it puts a smile on my face . . . and I'm the only person in the world that matters. - Jenna Jameson

wrestling135

As hard as it is to admit I wrestled cal before the season and couldn't score on him. And I had 40 pounds on him :-[I

RollTide

Quote from: wrestling135 on February 10, 2014, 12:16:53 PM
As hard as it is to admit I wrestled cal before the season and couldn't score on him. And I had 40 pounds on him :-[I

I wouldn't feel bad, you're probably a member of a pretty large club.

RollTide

Quote from: RollTide on February 10, 2014, 08:13:21 AM

I think Becker is a heck of a wrestler that has a good chance of making the podium this year.  That being said, I think Hansen can end up very high if not at the top of the podium.  He looks nearly impossible to score on from any position.  I don't know how many wrestlers have scored on him this year, but I doubt many.

Shows you what I know.  A week later Becker wins the rematch 2-0.  I'm guessing they will meet a couple more times yet.

wrestling135

I think these two will have a tight match everytime. They wrestle eachother twice a week at advancd so they are really use to eachothers  styles. Another tight match saturday 0-0 going into the 3rd hansen was called for a locked hands and becker got an escape. Both great wrestlers. Dischler is going to have to be ontop of his game this weekend or hw could very well end up 3rd coming out of sectionals.

RollTide

Quote from: wrestling135 on February 17, 2014, 03:53:35 PM
I think these two will have a tight match everytime. They wrestle eachother twice a week at advancd so they are really use to eachothers  styles. Another tight match saturday 0-0 going into the 3rd hansen was called for a locked hands and becker got an escape. Both great wrestlers. Dischler is going to have to be ontop of his game this weekend or hw could very well end up 3rd coming out of sectionals.

I agree.  I will almost be surprised if Dischler beats both of them to win sectionals.

boowrestle

;) Never bet against a state champ!I will be very surprised if Dischler doesnt win this sectional.Going to be fun to watch.

you can run but you cannot hide.

wrestling135

Quote from: boowrestle on February 18, 2014, 08:41:32 AM
  ;) Never bet against a state champ!I will be very surprised if Dischler doesnt win this sectional.Going to be fun to watch.

;D I'm doing it anyways :-*

RollTide

I don't think I'd bet either way.  Dischler is tough to figure.  I doubt very often a kid that doesn't qualify for youth state as an eighth grader wins state as a Freshman.  I'm not suggesting it was a fluke because he beat some pretty solid guys (Burns, Willemssen and Lull) to do it. Looking back at his history, I don't see where he ever placed in youth state.  I think that's pretty impressive to make that kind of improvement in such a short period of time.  Coaches there must be doing something right.

CLC FAN

It's almost like youth wrestling results aren't a surefire indicator of HS success   ;D