Snubbing Tournaments

Started by Fabulous Falcons, January 17, 2014, 11:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is snubbing traditional tournaments a smart practice for Two Rivers?

Yes our team needs to be challenged more
8 (80%)
No our team will pay for it down the road when we don't get invited to return
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: January 31, 2014, 11:39:26 AM

Fabulous Falcons

Here is some interesting discussion that could have been covered in more detail in the main forum. However let's let most of the people weigh-in here because most of the post come from Two Rivers people. I was really looking forward to seeing Two Rivers varsity wrestlers at the Sheboygan North Raider Invite. It sounds like they are sending their JV wrestlers which is very disappointing. Instead of sending the JV just don't send anyone that would be less insulting.

Two Rivers was great in the late 70's and early 80's and then until now were really really bad.

Now because you have good wrestlers you are deciding not to attend traditional tournaments and instead send your JV wrestlers. I hope you continue to be good for years to come or when you get bad again you find new coaches, because these tournaments that you are snubbing will not want you back.

Thoughts from Two Rivers crowd?
Howard Ruff: "It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

LUNKER

Let's remember what regional and sectional Two Rivers needs to go through to reach state. You on the other hand, wouldn't know what that's like coming from the southeast sectional. You're basically insulting a team for going to tougher tournaments, congratulations for being the bigger man. Next time, remember these are high school kids we're talking about, and they do read these threads.

CLC FAN

That's a lot of mud to sling Falcons.  I would say this... look at the fact that Random Lake and Oostburg dropped this tournament also.  For both those schools, it was a 1-year thing because Sheboygan North did not move their tournament date.  This tournament normally happens next weekend (as in 3 weekends before regionals).  Because this is a weird calendar year, North decided to keep their date closer to normal, which caused a lot of schools to have conflicts.  I'm not saying that's the case for Trivers (I spell phonetically), but it might be.

Fabulous Falcons

Quote from: CLC FAN on January 17, 2014, 03:51:06 PM
That's a lot of mud to sling Falcons.  I would say this... look at the fact that Random Lake and Oostburg dropped this tournament also.  For both those schools, it was a 1-year thing because Sheboygan North did not move their tournament date.  This tournament normally happens next weekend (as in 3 weekends before regionals).  Because this is a weird calendar year, North decided to keep their date closer to normal, which caused a lot of schools to have conflicts.  I'm not saying that's the case for Trivers (I spell phonetically), but it might be.

No mud sling just the facts. . .like you must be from Random or Cedar Grove?  8)

It's fine not to attend traditional tournaments, but really sending your JVs is not sending a positive message to tournament host or competing teams.

Remember CLC, Dan the man Large sent JVs to dual meets in the CLC. . .not real popular with most of the coaches or fans in the CLC?

What comes around goes around. . .
Howard Ruff: "It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

aarons23

Falcon....this is more common than you think.  It's great experience for those junior varsity kids.  I believe Kaukauna did the same thing a few weeks ago.  Good for TR that they have the squad to be able to let there JV compete at a varsity tourney.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Street Glide

Agree with aarons too, Ellsworth just sent their JVs to a Quad at Hudson.  Very good matt time for the JV kids at varsity level.  This isn't as uncommon as one may think.

CLC FAN

Falcons... did you even read my post?  I looked up where Two Rivers IS going this weekend... it's Freedom's tournament.  Same as they did last year.  North didn't move their tournament date, so Two Rivers had a conflict.  So Two Rivers decides to send their JVs to what they know to be a well run, competitive tournament.  Why are you inventing drama?

hammen

I really understand both sides. Sheboygan North was typically a great 16 team tournament back in my day. It was a great tune up and best competition we got before the state tournament when we entered division 3 But it does seem like Sheboygan North made a tough decision on the tournament date, which resulted in it losing some of the tops teams that give depth to the tournament. Hopefully it works out better with timing next year, as there were some great battles in the semis and finals here.

bigoil

I would assume they were told upfront.

Kuhjo

Before you go bashing a program and it's coaches Falcon, you should get your facts straight.  I will clear this up for you so you aren't confused or angry for that matter.  As coaches, we had a decision to make on numerous levels for the 2013-14 season.  Three major questions lingered as we made our decisions for the team, 1 how do we continue to battle test our varsity so we meet our individual and team goals in February and March?  2 how do we continue to challenge and get varsity matches for the handful of kids that would be a varsity starter on about 80% of the high school teams in the state?  And finally 3 how do you prepare the wrestlers that will be stepping in next year to keep the ball rolling?  Because of scheduling conflicts that were obviously pointed out and are correct, we decided that the Freedom invite would push our kids more than the Sheboygan North tournament would.  We want to see different teams and different styles.  Wrestling the same teams 4 or 5 times a year won't get you any better!  No offense to Sheboygan North, but that tournament isn't where it used to be back in the late 90's and early 2000's when I wrestled.  If they would have moved like the rest, we wouldn't be having this conversation!  As for JV kids wrestling in varsity tournaments, our reserves are in 4 varsity tournaments and 1 JV tournament.  The kids are challenged, teaches them what to fix, gives us as coaches flexibility (injuries, dropping weight classes, etc), and it prepares them for the future.  Some struggle, but they learn what they need to fix and it's not always about wins and losses!  Then you take those same kids to the 1 JV tournament and you have 8 out of 12 champs with the other 3 of the other 4 going 2-2!  I would think with those results, we are moving in the right direction.  I would rather see them get their growing pains while they sit behind a Scott Skornicka, Paul Bianchi, or Ty Pelot now, than next year when they are expected to win and continue our undefeated dual conference streak along with many other goals this team has every year!  Ask Kaukauna, Bay Port, Luxemburg Casco, Ellsworth, and so on, if you have the numbers, why wouldn't you?  And you want to whine about tradition??  Brawl on the Falls was one of the toughest tournaments around a few years back, this year it consisted of JV squads from Kaukauna, Bay Port, Luxemburg Casco, and this other team will really put the icing on the cake, host Oconto Falls!  Each had a couple varsity guys, but not their main 14!  The nice thing about all this, no matter what people say or what they think, the decision still have to be made to benefit your program!  If you have a better dual team than a tournament team, you set your schedule up with more dual tournaments and vice versa.  I hope this cleared this up for you Falcons!  Good luck this weekend and the rest of the season!

Coach Kuhl
We R....TR

bobby b

well said JO, as for fabulas falcon, I would think you saw enough of us last night.

padre

As punishment I think you folks should forfeit out the rest of the season(post-season also). ;D

Kuhjo

That's a pretty stiff punishment Padre  :o  Good luck as we move into the best part of the season!  It's going to be an interesting February & March for the teams involved in our sectional!  Some excellent wrestling that's for sure!

padre

I thought it was gentle....was going to hand out 2 years. :D  It's going to be exciting no doubt.