NEED HELP!

Started by littleguy301, January 13, 2014, 10:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

For some time now my cell phone has been acting pretty poorly and it is time for a new one.

This fall I was going to buy an Ipad or a surface and then the x-mas hit and everyone under the sun came out with something.

So now with the bad cell phone I am looking to get a smart phone.

Hear is the deal, I have had cataract surgery in one eye and I need something a tad bigger to read. My daughter has a samsung Galaxy notepad ( i think that is what it is called) and I like it. Bigger screen than the iphone but it is kind of a lug to carry around though.

I was wondering if anyone had one of those and can give me some advice about smart phones.

I know I need a protective case, that is the first option but more info.............

I guess it is time to step into the 21 century ::)
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Ghetto

My ex had the Galaxy S3. One froze all the time so they gave her another. New one froze also. I've heard the S4 is awesome tho. Bigger screen than the iPhone.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imwi

It's the Galaxy Note that your daughter has, currently the 3.  This is what some call a phablet, bigger than a phone but smaller than a tablet.  It is big to lug around but definitely a bigger screen.  I tell everyone when I finally got the internet on my phone, I realized I couldn't SEE the internet on my phone.  I have the galaxy s3 which is one of the biggest screens on a regular type phone but the Note has 5.7" screen compared to the galaxy s4 which is 5".  Get a belt holster type deal for the note and I think it would work for you but they are definitely big.

Kjohnson

My problem is not the screen size - you can zoom in and out. It's the small keyboard buttons and my fat fingers

imwi

Quote from: Kjohnson on January 14, 2014, 11:00:18 AM
My problem is not the screen size - you can zoom in and out. It's the small keyboard buttons and my fat fingers

You can go back to the old palm pilot days and use a stylus

littleguy301

I got the info on the phones and it seems their is 2 kinds of those phatlets that seem to be the name now.

One has a 5.3 inch screen (I believe my daughter has that one and another with a 5.7 inch screen. Price is close but man o man I dont know if I am ready for all that.

What happened to the day of just plain and simple calling someone and I thought I was a cool cat when I started texting.

Kjohnson

Quote from: littleguy301 on January 14, 2014, 11:07:50 AM
I got the info on the phones and it seems their is 2 kinds of those phatlets that seem to be the name now.

One has a 5.3 inch screen (I believe my daughter has that one and another with a 5.7 inch screen. Price is close but man o man I dont know if I am ready for all that.

What happened to the day of just plain and simple calling someone and I thought I was a cool cat when I started texting.

I still have the old flip phone, call & text. I have a laptop and so many places have wifi I don't need the smartphone.

jaguarwrestler

I have S4 very good size screen, only had it for about 6 weeks but very good to me so far. My friend has the note, big screen if you need it. I have an otterbox commuter case, might be the best case unless you are really hard on your phone then get an otterbox defender, makes the phone a lot thicker but could probably drop it off a skyscraper and it would be fine... they also make cases for the Note.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

littleguy301

I can get a smart phone cheaper than a dumb phone! Man talk about a deal there.

I like the idea of a small lap top but I wouldnt feel right trying to stuff that into a sweatshirt pocket ;D

DrSnide

My son has the S4 and loves it - especially the large screen..  He's pretty hard on his phones and it has held up really well - I think he got an otterbox for it also.  Says its better than his Iphone.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Kjohnson

My son went from the Samsung s4 to an iphone. When we went in found out hos old phone had a recall and they will send us a new one. Didn't take the insurance. If he breaks the iphone he will have to use the Samsung until the contract is up.

ps check your s4 may have a recall

littleguy301

I have had 3 phones in the past 16 years. I am pretty easy on phones but there is always the chance and if I do get a smart phone I am sure this dumb guy will drop it.

Those ottobox covers look to be bullet proof. But the also make that samsung about triple the size. I may need to get a man purse to haul that around. No more wedging in the pocket I guess.

Now with work phone, my old company had my name programed in as "phone killer" When we got bought out the new company couldnt figure that on out. Then when they did they made sure I was only to get 1 phone and I would be charged for anything else. It became a battle of wills, I work in the mud, dust, rain, cold, snow, heat and worse yet in live sewers so when my phone started to fail I just wouldnt answer it or try to call until they gave in and got me a new one ;D

bigoil

A larger phone with a belt case will make your waist look smaller :) sorry I couldn't resist and I resemble that!!

Ghetto

LG I love my Otterbox cover. I'd recommend them all day long.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

Quote from: howavi on January 15, 2014, 09:44:56 PM
A larger phone with a belt case will make your waist look smaller :) sorry I couldn't resist and I resemble that!!

I was talking about that with my daughter, the whole belt thing. She says that is going to be pretty uncool because it is so large. No big deal in the winter but in the summer with shorts she said I wouldnt look good. So as I type she is looking for one of those because I want to look uncool ;D

The iphone has a nice cover also but I dont know if it would work with the note.

Making my waist look small,,,,,I almost took that as an insult but coming from a person under the Mendzo line, it doesnt hurt that much ;D