Triton Places Two at Pat “Flash” Flanagan Open at Loras College

Started by Triton College Wrestling, January 13, 2014, 02:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triton College Wrestling

Triton Places Two at Pat "Flash" Flanagan Open at Loras College
Carter earns first two wins since 2012

Dubuque, IA--With only eight wrestlers traveling to Loras College on the weekend, the Triton College Trojans wrestling team placed two wrestlers among competition that spanned a who's who of teams from Division I, Division III and NAIA.

Sophomore Tom Angsten (Lane Tech/Chicago) placed fourth at 125 and freshman JImmy Pellegrino (Sandburg/Orland Park), wrestling up at 133 on the day, earned a fifth place finish in his bracket.

"We're fortunate that we have a lot of depth at the lower weights this season," said Harry McGinnis, Triton head coach. "Because of this, we're able to move some guys around and earn some wins without having our guys knocking each other off during the tournaments."

"Jimmy [Pellegrino] has been wrestling quite well in his last two tournaments," McGinnis said. "He started the season off 1-2 and struggled with some early injuries and his weight. He's regulated his weight, shored up most of his bumps and bruises and is looking to surprise some people."

"Tommy has been a consistent performer for us," McGinnis said with a smile. "He's a hard worker, in your face and doesn't back down from anyone."

Angsten started his day slowly, losing to Purdue's Luke Schroeder by tech fall, 18-2.

"I came out really flat," Angsten said. "I scored a takedown on [Schroeder] to start the match, but then he escaped, took me down and threw in the legs. I felt tired and I just couldn't stop his attacks from the top. That's as bad as I have wrestled in a very long time."

Angsten bounced back in the consolation bracket with a 45 second pin against his opponent from University of Dubuque and then another fall at 1:46 against his opponent from University of Northern Iowa.

In the consolation finals, Angsten would again see Schroeder, but the tone of the match would be much different. Staying away from Schroeder's leg attack on top, Angsten, Angsten and Schroeder traded a pair of takedowns in the first two periods with Angsten trailing 6-4 going into the third period. Angsten chose top and rode Schroeder out for the entire third, earning the riding time point, but narrowly missing on two near fall opportunities to again fall, this time 6-5.

"I made a few mistakes on my feet and that was the difference," Angsten said. "My coaches and I came up with a game plan to keep it on our feet and neutralize [Schroeder's] top game. Unfortunately, I relaxed a bit and he scored twice at the very end of both the first and second periods and even with the riding time point, not being able to turn him from top is what helped cost me this match. I'll be back at work on this tomorrow morning and be ready for what is to come the rest of this season."

Jamal Carter (sophomore/Uplift/Chicago), a 2012 National Qualifier for the now defunct Wright College program, earned two wins at 174 on the weekend and fell just short of placing. These were his first wins since 2012.

"I feel good," Carter stated. "I'm a little heavy right now and I am working my way down to weight, but I'm highly motivated to keep improving with the help of my coaches and teammates to become an All-American this season."

Freshman Ryan Fulton (Taft/Chicago) at 149 picked up another win on the day, but failed to place.

Pedro Martinez (freshman/Clemente/Chicago) at 149, Patrick Jackson (sophomore/Walther Lutheran/Bellwood) at 174, Chad Kirkhove (sophomore/Milan, IL/Sherrard) at 184 and Darvell Burgess (freshman/Hope Academy/Chicago) at heavyweight all competed this weekend for the Trojans, as well.

When discussing traveling with only eight wrestlers, McGinnis was very direct about his team.

"This had nothing to do with injuries," McGinnis stated. "We are dealing with serious commitment issues with some of our starters right now. Unfortunately, we have a few young men who think that they are bigger than this team and that they are going to dictate how the coaches coach. Well, they're wrong. The integrity of this team will not be compromised, regardless of how talented some of these young men are or feel they might be. Hard work and dedication within this program are non-negotiable."

This coming weekend, the Triton Trojans wrestling team travels to Lincoln College to take on Lincoln and Muskegon Community College (Michigan) in dual meets. These meets will help to assist in determining seeding criteria for the Central District national qualifying tournament on Sunday, February 16 at Triton College.

Triton College is a two year community college in near west suburban Chicago, Illinois. With 83 All-Americans, 15 National Champions, two Olympians, Four Team National Championships and 21 Top 10 Team finishes to date, we are seeking hard working, dedicated student-wrestlers to become part of our historic program and compete against the best teams in the country at every college level. For more information about Triton College Wrestling and Triton College, please visit us on the web at http://www.triton.edu/ and fill out our online recruitment form by clicking here. You may also find us through various social media outlets such as facebook and twitter. You may also visit us in person on campus by contacting Head Coach Harry McGinnis at (708) 456-0300, extension 3784 or by email at hmcginni@triton.edu.
Four-time NJCAA Champions
12 Top Three Team Finishes
22 Top Ten Team Finishes
119 Academic All-Americans
82 All-Americans
15 National Champions
Four World Team Members
Two Olympians