Author Topic: Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series 2015  (Read 57134 times)

Offline TomM

• Administrator
  • Comfortably Numb
    • Wisconsin Wrestling Online
Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series 2015
« on: December 19, 2013, 08:28:12 PM »
Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series 2015
See Regions at this link: http://www.wiwrestling.com/wwca/challenge/2015.htm

Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series  2015

The Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series is set to kick off in January 2015. The Wisconsin Wrestling Coaches Association (WWCA), Wisconsin Wrestling Federation (WWF) along with sponsors All-American Wrestling Supply and Cliff Keen are collaborating to promote wrestling in Wisconsin. These groups are striving for continued growth in numbers, interest, and meaningful competition at the sub - varsity level throughout Wisconsin. The wrestling groups have organized and developed the Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series for non-varsity level wrestlers. This tournament series is compliant with WIAA guidelines and is available to WIAA Member schools in all divisions.

This is a non-seeded advancement tournament. Contestants will wrestle at least two matches, at the Region and Finals level. The state is divided into 8 geographical areas with approximately 40 to 45 schools in each region. The eight Region qualifiers will be Saturday, January 10, 2015. See specific Region lists and hosts in table below. Top place winners from each Region will advance to the Finals Event held Saturday January, 24, 2015 at Wausau West High School.  
   Further details will be released during the fall of 2015.

http://www.wiwrestling.com/wwca/challenge/2015.htm
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:17:55 PM by TomM »
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Offline crossface21

• Another Brick in the Wall
Re: Wisconsin Wrestling Challenge Series 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 11:33:15 PM »
So is this basically a JV State Tournament? 8 Regional Qualifiers with no divisions and the top 2 advance to Wausau?

Offline crossface21

• Another Brick in the Wall
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 11:35:40 PM »
What are the current Regional sites? Where do they still need them?

Offline TomM

• Administrator
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:01:20 AM »
What are the current Regional sites? Where do they still need them?

http://www.wiwrestling.com/wwca/challenge/2015.htm
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:20:53 PM by TomM »

Offline Numbers

• One of My Turns
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »
So is this basically a JV State Tournament? 8 Regional Qualifiers with no divisions and the top 2 advance to Wausau?

I understand the non-varsity aspect but how does this count toward number of tournaments?  It is one unless you qualify for the final, then it is two?  Does it prevent a participating wrestler from entering varsity regionals in case of an injury to the varsity guy at the conference tournament?  Maybe these rules are not all documented yet, but thought I would ask.

If Wisconsin ever goes to allowing 7th/8th grade wrestlers on JV (or varsity), this could be quite the tournament.  Well it will already be quite the tournament.  Wish it was around my freshman year of high school.

Wisconsin Wrestling Online

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »

Offline bkraus

• Us and Them
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »
My question is, is this a mandatory tournament or can each individual school decide if they want in?
Strive for Perfection

Offline TomM

• Administrator
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 11:12:31 AM »
My question is, is this a mandatory tournament or can each individual school decide if they want in?

Choice. Not mandatory.

Offline aarons23

• Comfortably Numb
    • A to Z Quality Fencing and Structures
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 11:16:31 AM »

Why would you not want in?  Helps grow your local wrestling, state wrestling and develop your JV into varsity.  Seems a no brainier to me.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

Offline bkraus

• Us and Them
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 11:53:42 AM »

Why would you not want in?  Helps grow your local wrestling, state wrestling and develop your JV into varsity.  Seems a no brainier to me.

Conflicts on your current schedule.  We are in tournies already for each of those days.  So we would have to look at is it more beneficial to go where for our kids.
Strive for Perfection

Offline aarons23

• Comfortably Numb
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »

Conflicts on your current schedule.  We are in tournies already for each of those days.  So we would have to look at is it more beneficial to go where for our kids.

So your JV have a better tournament that day? Which one?
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 06:49:16 PM »

Offline bkraus

• Us and Them
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:25:53 AM »
The 24th would most likely be the weekend for the Homestead JV duals.  Hard to pass up 5 matches guaranteed for each kid.  The regional weekend we are at the Bauer Brawl where we take most of our roster. 
Strive for Perfection

Offline aarons23

• Comfortably Numb
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »
The 24th would most likely be the weekend for the Homestead JV duals.  Hard to pass up 5 matches guaranteed for each kid.  The regional weekend we are at the Bauer Brawl where we take most of our roster. 

The question is do we want to build the sport, which would mean supporting things like this...even if it means changing schedules or stay the course and not improve.  Ask your JV kudos if they want a chance at competing at a JV state tourney....I'll bet Its  a resounding yes.  Our jv system sucks.....this is a step in the right direction.  The problem will be is if the schools who already are good wrestling schools participate and the ones that are not known for wrestling does not participate....then the tap will only get wider.  I will be promoting for Port to participate.

It's very strenuous! 

Offline bkraus

• Us and Them
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 02:23:53 PM »
I agree whole heartedly that this will make the good schools better.  And I do support it in concept.  Don't think it is logical for small programs that are trying to build within to go somewhere to potentially go 0-2 when you can go somewhere and get 5 matches.  Mat time is huge to development and you can't convince me of that otherwise.  So where is the sense in that?  Port has a long standing tradition of not only having big numbers but also quality at the JV level.  This type of tournament makes perfect sense.  Then there are programs whose JV consists of first year wrestlers who could be 0-6, 3-9, even 5-5 or something like that and a regional advancement type tournament will not help their growth at all.  Just have them go 0-2 and make them more discouraged?  Don't know if that will necessarily help grow the sport.
Strive for Perfection

Offline chuckref

• Wish You Were Here
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 04:06:35 PM »
I think this is awesome and about time.  I will check to see if we could help with Region 8.

Chuck

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 04:06:35 PM »

Offline Ghetto

• Comfortably Numb
    • Whitefish Bay Wrestling
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »
I applaud the efforts of the WWCA to change things and take our JV kids a step further. This is a tough idea to implement. My issue isn't with the idea at all.

We were asked to run the regional. I said no. There has to be some safeguards in place and some more locking down of what is really going to happen.

There is enough time to get things figured out before 2015 to get a system in place, so I have confidence that it'll be a more refined idea when it actually happens.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »