Ice fishing

Started by Houndhead, December 14, 2013, 06:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hodagdad

Quote from: imnofish on February 25, 2014, 09:41:54 AM
Quote from: hodagdad on February 25, 2014, 09:37:46 AM
been a great year in N. Wisconsin ... solid early ice walleye fishing, best big pike year ever with 12 over 37" and one giant, one lost even bigger and consistent blue-gil jigging.  personal best walleye was the highlight that came while targeting big pike so a great surprise.

cold and wind have been brutal so tip-down fishing has been almost impossible all year long and now we're just hoping for spring and a little frustrated to want to get out until spring starts.

lots and lots of snow and slush throughout the area making travel pretty tough unless you have the right track vehicles to get around.

all wrestlers and wrestling dads are welcome anytime so give a shout if you want to get out or get intel on the fishing in the Minocqua-Sayner-St. Germaine area.  we'll even take liberals fishing ... will get your minds right after a day of politics or football discussion on the ice!!

Is that a threat?  JK!   ;D  Never fished in your area, but my daughter's family has been up a few times and they say it is beautiful up there.  I'll have to check that out sometime.

plan an outing! ... i've got the shack-mahal
we spend a ton of time on the ice and have all the crap you would want to have a good time. 

Houndhead

Quote from: Handles II on February 25, 2014, 07:47:19 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on February 24, 2014, 06:28:54 PM
Headed to Lake of the Woods on thursday for 3 days and nights in a sleeper shack. The forecast says the temp will never be above zero the whole time we are there. Hope the fish bite.

Where are you headed? Zippel Bay, Arnesons? Typically these temperature crashes have meant very slow fishing on LOW, at least in my experience up there. If the walleye aren't biting, see if they can get you on some perch on the mud flats. There are some absolute jumbos in LOW 13-14 inchers are fairly common.  Other options, since you are sleeping out there, night fish for eelpout. Best tasting fish in that lake. I'm not kidding.
Good luck, watch out for the ice heaves.

Sportsman's Lodge. The reports are that the fishing has been ok but not great. Only one pout caught last year out of twelve guys.

Houndhead

been a great year in N. Wisconsin ... solid early ice walleye fishing, best big pike year ever with 12 over 37" and one giant, one lost even bigger and consistent blue-gil jigging.  personal best walleye was the highlight that came while targeting big pike so a great surprise.

cold and wind have been brutal so tip-down fishing has been almost impossible all year long and now we're just hoping for spring and a little frustrated to want to get out until spring starts.

lots and lots of snow and slush throughout the area making travel pretty tough unless you have the right track vehicles to get around.

all wrestlers and wrestling dads are welcome anytime so give a shout if you want to get out or get intel on the fishing in the Minocqua-Sayner-St. Germaine area.  we'll even take liberals fishing ... will get your minds right after a day of politics or football discussion on the ice!!

My buddy took me to Carroll lake at the very end of the ice season last year. There was a good morning perch bite. I think it was the last weekend of April. That was the first time I ever heard turkeys gobbling while I was ice fishing. That was my first time fishing in the Woodruff area.

hodagdad

Quote from: Houndhead on February 25, 2014, 10:30:00 AM

My buddy took me to Carroll lake at the very end of the ice season last year. There was a good morning perch bite. I think it was the last weekend of April. That was the first time I ever heard turkeys gobbling while I was ice fishing. That was my first time fishing in the Woodruff area.

if we can get a melt of snowpack and no late storms, the late spring ice season can be the best times you can dream of.  warm, sun and with holes staying open and easy getting from spot to spot on your ATV.  love a day of sunshine, kids, dogs, food, drink and tip-down crappies, hard to beat it.

imnofish

Quote from: hodagdad on February 25, 2014, 11:58:26 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on February 25, 2014, 10:30:00 AM

if we can get a melt of snowpack and no late storms, the late spring ice season can be the best times you can dream of.  warm, sun and with holes staying open and easy getting from spot to spot on your ATV.  love a day of sunshine, kids, dogs, food, drink and tip-down crappies, hard to beat it.

That would be the one thing that would get me out on the ice again this year.  Unfortunately, there is so much snow on the ice, I expect a big slushy, wet puddle to form on top of the ice instead.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Handles II

Quote from: Houndhead on February 25, 2014, 10:22:15 AM
Quote from: Handles II on February 25, 2014, 07:47:19 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on February 24, 2014, 06:28:54 PM
Headed to Lake of the Woods on thursday for 3 days and nights in a sleeper shack. The forecast says the temp will never be above zero the whole time we are there. Hope the fish bite.

Where are you headed? Zippel Bay, Arnesons? Typically these temperature crashes have meant very slow fishing on LOW, at least in my experience up there. If the walleye aren't biting, see if they can get you on some perch on the mud flats. There are some absolute jumbos in LOW 13-14 inchers are fairly common.  Other options, since you are sleeping out there, night fish for eelpout. Best tasting fish in that lake. I'm not kidding.
Good luck, watch out for the ice heaves.

Sportsman's Lodge. The reports are that the fishing has been ok but not great. Only one pout caught last year out of twelve guys.

Try glow in the dark jigs with a minnow head.  Eelpout backstraps boiled in 7-up/sprite with some butter = awesome.

hodagdad

we have a couple spots in N. Wisco where you can catch some nice eelpout  :)

bigG

I have yet to catch one of those ugly things. Love to try them. I'm just too far sout fer da pout.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Handles II

Howavi, how was your LOW trip?

Houndhead

Quote from: Handles II on March 13, 2014, 08:56:34 AM
Howavi, how was your LOW trip?

I was there the on March 1st. The fishing was ok. Could have been better, could have been worse. We caught about 100 fish in our shack in 3 days among 4 guys. Sauger, walleye, tullibee, and 1 pout. Nothing for size on the walleyes in our shack. One of the other shacks in our group had a 25", 24", &  23". Temps never got above zero the whole time we were there. A couple of nights of -34 with a -50 wind chill. It was brutal stumbling back from the other shack at night. Always lots of fun though.

Houndhead

Great weekend of perch fishing on Leech Lake. 6 of us brought back our 240 fish limit. Still plenty of ice if you can find a spot to get out.

bigG

My uncle's on Leech right now (or in his cabin). Hope his results mock yours.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.