Ice fishing

Started by Houndhead, December 14, 2013, 06:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

Anyone ice fishing yet. I went the Thursday before Thanksgiving and caught one walleye, and then went yesterday after work and got skunked. Deer hunting and the frigid temps have kept me off the ice until now. I should be able to get out a couple days a week the rest of the winter. Have a trip planned to Lake of the Woods on Feb. 28th, and hopefully a trips to Bay De Noc for walleye, and Leech Lake for perch.

littleguy301

I havent thought for my wide waistline I still want some more ice to feel safe ;D

We have had a rash of people dropping there vechiles in the lakes around here and the metro area. I have been shocked!!!! I believe there has been 3 on the news this week and 2 more in the paper.

I usually start after x-mas.

Be safe and sounds as if you have a couple nice trips plan, those trip sound like some fish if you ask me!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

DrSnide

Couple trips out so far on a local place that freezes quick.  Actually just getting ready to go out now.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

TomM

SO... I want to do some ice fishing... (pretty sure I have spoken of this before... but... hmmm.... I have a good memory, but it's short.)
I have 'some' gear/equipment... a couple tip ups. Have some jigging rods etc.
Some fishing line...
A manual auger...
Have access to a lake, from a property directly on a lake and I've seen guys out there... say 400 yards from the house or a bit more?  So I can walk there.  Could drive my Jeep out there too (when I see some bigger pick ups out there I would trust the ice)
Need a current license.

What are the absolute 'must haves' for my ice fishing?
What type of bait?
Hooks?
Lures?
Staying warm?  I probably won't buy/build a shelter.

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Houndhead

Quote from: TomM on December 14, 2013, 09:57:20 AM
SO... I want to do some ice fishing... (pretty sure I have spoken of this before... but... hmmm.... I have a good memory, but it's short.)
I have 'some' gear/equipment... a couple tip ups. Have some jigging rods etc.
Some fishing line...
A manual auger...
Have access to a lake, from a property directly on a lake and I've seen guys out there... say 400 yards from the house or a bit more?  So I can walk there.  Could drive my Jeep out there too (when I see some bigger pick ups out there I would trust the ice)
Need a current license.

What are the absolute 'must haves' for my ice fishing?
What type of bait?
Hooks?
Lures?
Staying warm?  I probably won't buy/build a shelter.

What species of fish are you after? If you are tip up fishing for pike, target shallow water weed lines. If you are going to jig for panfish, your best bet is probably to follow the crowd. Lake-link.com will have some good info and reports from your lake.

bigG

I think you can do two tip ups and one in the hole. You may wish to go for a bigger type with tips ups (northern) and more meat fish through the whole(bluegill/perch, etc.) I can feed the family three meals on two northern and eight bluegills. I can see the love of filleting an northern; but, if you have wise northern eaters, they are the best to bake whole in foil, lime and butter.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

This has been the worst winter of ice fishing for me in a while. Brutal cold weather and too much snow on the ice makes getting where you want to go difficult. I decided if it was more work than fun then it is not worth fishing. The bite has not been good on the days that I have fished either.

bigG

I have never ice fished less than I have this winter. Same reasons as you. I gotta get a pair of snow shoes for my son, then we can think of something to do outside. Gotta clean out the chimney tomorrow.

Houndhead

Headed to Lake of the Woods on thursday for 3 days and nights in a sleeper shack. The forecast says the temp will never be above zero the whole time we are there. Hope the fish bite.

bigG

Went yesterday on the Miss. 7 northern (we eat them) ,and about 35 panfish between my son and I.

imnofish

I went ice fishing only once this winter and I only caught 3 crappies.  At least they were big enough to eat.  That was quite a while ago and the ice was so thick that my auger could barely punch through.  Must be ridiculously thick by now.  I think I'm going to just start getting my gear ready for open water fishing... 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Handles II

Quote from: Houndhead on February 24, 2014, 06:28:54 PM
Headed to Lake of the Woods on thursday for 3 days and nights in a sleeper shack. The forecast says the temp will never be above zero the whole time we are there. Hope the fish bite.

Where are you headed? Zippel Bay, Arnesons? Typically these temperature crashes have meant very slow fishing on LOW, at least in my experience up there. If the walleye aren't biting, see if they can get you on some perch on the mud flats. There are some absolute jumbos in LOW 13-14 inchers are fairly common.  Other options, since you are sleeping out there, night fish for eelpout. Best tasting fish in that lake. I'm not kidding.
Good luck, watch out for the ice heaves.

imnofish

Quote from: Houndhead on February 24, 2014, 06:28:54 PM

My son in law and grandson went up there (out of Baudette) about 3 weeks ago.  They were jigging for walleyes and did great.  They liked staying in the sleeper, as well as the ride out in the ice taxi.  Have fun and good luck!
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

hodagdad

been a great year in N. Wisconsin ... solid early ice walleye fishing, best big pike year ever with 12 over 37" and one giant, one lost even bigger and consistent blue-gil jigging.  personal best walleye was the highlight that came while targeting big pike so a great surprise.

cold and wind have been brutal so tip-down fishing has been almost impossible all year long and now we're just hoping for spring and a little frustrated to want to get out until spring starts.

lots and lots of snow and slush throughout the area making travel pretty tough unless you have the right track vehicles to get around.

all wrestlers and wrestling dads are welcome anytime so give a shout if you want to get out or get intel on the fishing in the Minocqua-Sayner-St. Germaine area.  we'll even take liberals fishing ... will get your minds right after a day of politics or football discussion on the ice!!

imnofish

Quote from: hodagdad on February 25, 2014, 09:37:46 AM
been a great year in N. Wisconsin ... solid early ice walleye fishing, best big pike year ever with 12 over 37" and one giant, one lost even bigger and consistent blue-gil jigging.  personal best walleye was the highlight that came while targeting big pike so a great surprise.

cold and wind have been brutal so tip-down fishing has been almost impossible all year long and now we're just hoping for spring and a little frustrated to want to get out until spring starts.

lots and lots of snow and slush throughout the area making travel pretty tough unless you have the right track vehicles to get around.

all wrestlers and wrestling dads are welcome anytime so give a shout if you want to get out or get intel on the fishing in the Minocqua-Sayner-St. Germaine area.  we'll even take liberals fishing ... will get your minds right after a day of politics or football discussion on the ice!!

Is that a threat?  JK!   ;D  Never fished in your area, but my daughter's family has been up a few times and they say it is beautiful up there.  I'll have to check that out sometime.