Here's what's left for 1st base ...

Started by neutral, December 13, 2013, 08:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neutral

•Kendrys Morales, free agent. Morales might be the highest-profile name remaining as a free agent, but after a season in which he hit .277/.336/.449 while playing poor defense (in the 31 games in which he played first base), he declined the Mariners' qualifying offer. It's hard to see many teams, including the Pirates and Brewers, give up a draft pick for the right to sign a defensively-limited player on the wrong side of 30. It appears likely that Morales will end up back with an AL team, as CBS Sports' Mike Axisa recently noted.

•Ike Davis, Mets. The Mets seem determined to trade either Davis or Lucas Duda. Davis may be the more attractive of the two candidates, due to his power, although he'll also be more expensive than Duda in arbitration this year. The Mets also seem more inclined to trade Davis. With Loney off the market, there's now a clear path for the Mets to deal Davis to either the Brewers or Pirates. There may be a feeling around baseball that they waited too long, however, with Mike Puma of the New York Post recently tweeting that a source recently told him the Mets were going to "sell low" on Davis. The Star-Ledger's Andy McCullough, meanwhile, tweeted, "The Mets' slow, steady march toward trading Ike Davis for something like a right-handed relief prospect is such a drag." In any case, it's hard to see the Mets getting much for Davis, or any team getting particularly excited about installing him at first, after he hit .205/.326/.334 in 2013, even though he batted .286/.449/.505 after the All-Star break. Davis appears set to make about $3.5MM through arbitration in 2014.

•Justin Smoak, Mariners. With Hart and Morrison both heading to Seattle, Smoak is now available, with the Mariners likely favoring a big-league contributor, rather than a prospect, in return. It remains to be seen how much other teams might want Smoak, however -- the former top prospect has hovered around replacement level for his career, and at 27, it may be that his once-highly-regarded bat won't ever carry him. Smoak hit .238/.334/.412 in 2013.

•Mitch Moreland, Rangers. Moreland's name has appeared in trade rumors since Texas traded for Prince Fielder, but he currently still has a role in Texas at DH. That could change somewhat, however, if the Rangers sign Shin-Soo Choo or re-sign Nelson Cruz, but right now, there appears to be no pressing reason for the Rangers to trade Moreland unless they want to. Moreland hit .232/.299/.437 in 2013, but unlike any of the trade candidates mentioned above, he does play plus defense at first base.

•Adam Lind, Blue Jays. Lind, who batted .288/.357/.497 in 2013, is a well-above-average hitter, but he's not much of a defender at any position. Also, like Moreland, he has a clear role on his current team as a DH. The Pirates recently asked the Jays about Lind, only to have the Jays ask for Neil Walker in return. If the Blue Jays do trade Lind, he probably won't come cheap.

•Mike Carp, Red Sox. WEEI's Rob Bradford recently tweeted that Carp was receiving plenty of attention on the trade market, which is no surprise -- unlike Davis and Smoak, Carp hit well in 2013, and unlike Moreland and Lind, he has no clear starting role with his current team. Carp played mostly first base and outfield in 2013, but with Jackie Bradley Jr. expected to replace Jacoby Ellsbury in center field, and with Shane Victorino, Daniel Nava and Jonny Gomes expected to play in the corner spots, he won't necessarily be needed in the outfield next year. There isn't much room elsewhere, either, with Mike Napoli and David Ortiz returning at first base and DH, respectively. If Carp hits .296/.362/.523 again, the Red Sox can surely find space for him, but if another team approaches them with a nice offer, they could easily deal him, too.

•Eric Chavez, free agent. CBS Sports' Jon Heyman recently reported that the Pirates were one of several teams to check in on Chavez, and upon inspection, it's easy to see why. The veteran hit .281/.332/.478 in Arizona in 2013, and while he has limited experience at first base and isn't the defensive star he once was at third, it's easy to imagine he would be at least average defensively if he were to move across the diamond. He might also be relatively cheap, since he was a part-time player in 2013. He's an injury risk, but with Pittsburgh, in particular, he wouldn't have to play every day, since Gaby Sanchez would start against lefties.

•Kevin Youkilis, free agent. Youkilis missed most of the 2013 season due to injury and wasn't good when he played, but he was a valuable asset as recently as 2011. He'll be 35 in March, however, and showed signs of decline in 2012, so it's fair to wonder how much he has left. He also prefers to play on the West Coast, so he may not want to sign with Milwaukee or Pittsburgh.

I say - give Chavez a year or two ... or put Weeks there ... or platoon them - everything else will cost them too much in payroll &/or talent.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

TomM

Hey, Nice review Neutral.
Never thought of Weeks at first.  If they keep him (which it seems they would) you could bury him at first. 
They have no one in the minors?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

neutral

The review is courtesy of MLB Trade Rumors.

I don't see how Weeks coould be worse than what they've had there since 2012.  Maybe the the more reactive nature of corner positions will help his defense ... and the improved confidence will carry over a little to his offense.  They have to try to get something out of him ... for what he's costing them - and he's not going anywhere unless they pay a big chunk of his salary ... which I don't see happening.

Nobody is near ready in the minors. 

Chavez is worth a shot - not bad defensively ... & could continue to hit big at Miller.
(reporter) ... "Rocky ... do you think you've got brain damage?"
(Rocky) ....... "I don't see any."

TomM

Yes, Weeks would have to move shorter distances at 1st.. and maybe fumble less in the process.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

Unreal the best team in baseball right now can't deal with 1st. We need Don Money to step up, quick!

I know the argument of moving Lu to 1st so Maldonado can catch; but that scares me a bit.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

boowrestle

We are fine at 1st base,get estrada out of the starting rotation and get kintzler out of the bullpen,defense has been fine at 1st base personally think overbay should be playing more.JMO there are no worthy free agent 1st baseman available.
you can run but you cannot hide.

easytopin

We still refuse to bunt, we still refuse to take pitches. Kintzler needs to sit during close games. Would have been nice to trade with Cubs and make Estrada long relief. Our starting pitching is solid enough but are hitting and hitting philosophy at times is awful.

easytopin

Why do we refuse to bunt guys over ??? More baserunning stupidity..If I played a drinking game where I take a shot for every time we swing at the first pitch my liver would be on life support.  Pitchers are now not throwing strikes to us anymore because guys like Gomez, Segura, Ramirez will swing at anything.

Ghetto

Still in 1st place...

The plate discipline is an issue. It does produce games where we cant score at all. When a pitcher is on his A game, swinging at anything close makes for nightmarish offense. 

Gomez will never be selective. He shouldnt be the leadoff hitter, no matter how fast he is. Same with Segura. They dont work counts and make too many mistakes on thr bases.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigG

Gomez has what it takes to be a leadoff, but he's not doing it. Hard spot if 2 strike hitting isn't your thing.

I used to love watching Pete Rose foul off 5-12 pitches in a row. I wonder how many walks he drew because the pitcher just gave in.

Sophomorisits for Segura at times. Like any guy his years , it'll take some lumps to get better.

I really like this team, though. I think I like all out players. Seem like decent folk, as far as I know.

Our discipline at the plate/on the bases could really hurt us 2nd half, though.

boowrestle

Gomez is a terrible lead off hitter.Gennett needs to be in the leadoff spot.Gomez is way to much of a free swinger!!
you can run but you cannot hide.

bigG

I'd like him (Gomez) at the #2 spot, because now he can bunt and be a big threat to bunt to get on, and he has power. He's come a long ways on the bases. Still got some wild horse in him.