Brewers' Corey Hart leaving for Seattle

Started by TomM, December 11, 2013, 02:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Brewers first baseman Corey Hart agrees to a deal with Seattle Mariners.
PLEASE TAKE RICKY WEEKS WITH YOU!!!!!
Can't they get a deal where someone takes Ricky Weeks and the Brewers get NO ONE in return... and the Brewers still come out ahead?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

TomM

What?  This news is three hours old and no one has commented further?  hmmmmm....
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

ougiqbxy

I was kind of hoping someone would sign Hart away from us so we could go after a lefthanded bat.  I was hoping Logan Morrison.  BUt the darned Mariners got him too!!!  The Brewers better be going after James Loney hot and heavy or there will be a cavernous void at 1b again in 2014.

In other news, seems like the Brewers are pursuing Johann Santana.
"One man isn't any better than another, not because they are equal, but because they are intrinsically other, that there is no term of comparison."

Rupert Birkin in "Women in Love" by D. H. Lawrence

bigoil

Quote from: TomM on December 11, 2013, 05:23:15 PM
What?  This news is three hours old and no one has commented further?  hmmmmm....
I just read that on the ticker of sportscenter, had to rewind that. I thought he was a brewer for life.

bigoil

From the great prospects we had, we are left with Braun and Weeks, both rumored to be on the block.

JJ, prince, Corey, Nelson all gone. Missing one or two probably.

Todd

Quote from: TomM on December 11, 2013, 02:15:53 PM
Brewers first baseman Corey Hart agrees to a deal with Seattle Mariners.
PLEASE TAKE RICKY WEEKS WITH YOU!!!!!
Can't they get a deal where someone takes Ricky Weeks and the Brewers get NO ONE in return... and the Brewers still come out ahead?

Who the heck would want Weeks.  You might be able to get a bucket of balls for him but I think the crew is stuck.
"This page intentionally left blank".

DrSnide

Quote from: howavi on December 11, 2013, 10:02:13 PM
From the great prospects we had, we are left with Braun and Weeks, both rumored to be on the block.

In fairness we got Gomez for JJ (who I believe is a FA now) and most of MLB would consider that a very good trade at this point.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Ghetto

Corey Hart got a great deal in Seattle. They are all in, signing guys to big contracts. The GM in Seattle worked under Doug Melvin, so they had a leg up on the rest of the field.

Rumor is that he signed for $5 million guaranteed with a possible $13 million in incentives. The Brewers couldn't possibly have put that offer on the table, being hooked into Weeks and Braun alone for almost 23.

Logan Morrison would have been nice, but we don't have the pieces to trade to even get guys like that. The minor league system is a bit barren at this point. A lot of guys haven't panned out.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

lawier, LaPorta and I forget that pitchers name.

But we still have Matt Gambel, now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

I was thinking that if the Brewers traded Weeks straight up for a good hot dog vender, the Brewers would stilll get the better end of the deal.

I say pay Weeks and let him sit at home and while you a paying a guy to sit at home, I think that is still a better deal than having him in the dugout. We all know that at some point even if Weeks was sitting at home he would be on the IR for  something.

Remember, you cannt spell Weeks without 2E's and a K!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Ghetto

Rickie Weeks is a great clubhouse guy. I don't think he'd be a cancer like other guys if he's sitting on the bench. Plus the guy smashes balls when he's on (I know that's becoming less and less over time) You don't pay a guy like him to sit home.

DrSnide

Quote from: littleguy301 on December 12, 2013, 09:02:48 AM

lawier, LaPorta and I forget that pitchers name.

But we still have Matt Gambel, now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside ;D

Actually, we don't have Gamel now.  He was waived earlier the year, picked up by the Cubs, and waived again.  

LaPorta was traded for Sabathia and had done nothing for Cleveland so not a bad deal there

Lawrie was sent to Toronto for Marcum which worked out ok.  It didn't look so good when Lawrie was killing the ball his first year in Toronto but he struggled a bit last year - and is kind of head case  - so I can live with that.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Ghetto

Beat me to it.

LaPorta hasn't done jack. We smashed them in that trade. Lawrie could be great, but hasn't been.

Dean Taylor took a lot of flack, but he hit on guys at the top of the draft. Fielder, Weeks, Braun were all hits. Melvin inherited a better team which then had to draft middle to back half, so he's been handcuffed a bit, but really that's no excuse. His drafting has been poor at best.

bigoil

Quote from: Ghetto on December 12, 2013, 11:02:09 AM
Rickie Weeks is a great clubhouse guy. I don't think he'd be a cancer like other guys if he's sitting on the bench. Plus the guy smashes balls when he's on (I know that's becoming less and less over time) You don't pay a guy like him to sit home.
+23