Crossbows

Started by Houndhead, December 11, 2013, 11:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndhead

Quote from: ramjet on January 09, 2014, 10:19:08 PM
Quote from: Houndhead on December 11, 2013, 12:18:20 PM
I wish they would have made it a seperate season and tag from the archery. I was surprised by the 91-0 vote in the Assembly.

Why?

I have hunted with traditional gear and am a life member of the WTA and have zero issue with full inclusion. The idea that they will shoot all the deer is absurd. This just gives another option to folks to hunt with a device older than the compound. It's no real big deal. I will add I have permit and used one this last week and shot an old wise doe the quickest most human kill I have made with archery equipment. Just an option hound do not get caught up in the propaganda from the WBH. They are selfish self serving group of hunters that are not friends of conservation only themselves.

I just like the idea of increasing hunting opportunities, same reason as I would not like the muzzleloader and rifle season to become one and the same. A muzzleloader and a rifle are two different weapons, why not have a season for both? I wish they had a separate license for both. A compound bow and a crossbow are different weapons, why not have a season for both. I think having separate seasons would increase hunting opportunities, instead of making them one and the same. I think the state is missing out on a chance to raise additional revenue. There should be a separate license for bow, crossbow, rifle, muzzleloader, atla, wrist rocket, spear, ect........ Whatever people want to do, make them appreciate it by buying a licence specific to that season. Great way to increase revenue for the state.
By the way, I agree with you about the WBH.

Houndhead

Quote from: imnofish on January 10, 2014, 10:50:22 AM
My only issue with feeding deer is the increasing prevalence of CWD and the potential for spreading it by feeding.  I know we aren't hearing as much about this lately, but it is an issue that should be dealt with.  Maybe the big deer populations should be a thing of the past, if we are ever going to get this problem under control.  If the use of more efficient weapons can be safely included in that effort, I don't have a problem with it.  My brother's really good with a slingshot.  Any potential for a slingshot season?   ;D

If you can humanely harvest a deer with it, I would be in favor.

Houndhead

My only issue with feeding deer is the increasing prevalence of CWD and the potential for spreading it by feeding.  I know we aren't hearing as much about this lately, but it is an issue that should be dealt with.  Maybe the big deer populations should be a thing of the past, if we are ever going to get this problem under control.  If the use of more efficient weapons can be safely included in that effort, I don't have a problem with it.  My brother's really good with a slingshot.  Any potential for a slingshot season?   ;D

i can guarantee you that big deer populations is not a problem in this area.

imnofish

Quote from: Houndhead on January 10, 2014, 10:53:37 AM

If you can humanely harvest a deer with it, I would be in favor.

He took a crow off the top of a cornstalk, so he could probably take a deer down with an appropriately accurate stop.  Those things are wicked!
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

imnofish

Quote from: Houndhead on January 10, 2014, 10:54:31 AM

i can guarantee you that big deer populations is not a problem in this area.

Yeah, I know it's always varied by county/local area.  It certainly depends on where you are hunting.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

ramjet

Yup thats one issue the other is the deer that cross the roads to get to grandmas feeder and cause automobile accidents and allot damage to vehicles. They would not be crossing as much at some places if they were not going to corn feeders. Plus from a hunting stand point the deer turn nocturnal.

Handles II

Unbelievable.  ::)
Deer are more active in their feeding patterns nocturnally no matter where they are, what time of the year it is, or if it's a feeder or a field, and they will always continue to feed, though more sparingly and more often on browse in the woods during the day when they aren't resting .  Grandma's feeder doesn't make them nocturnal.

You really come up with some dandy's ramjet.

imnofish

Quote from: Handles II on January 11, 2014, 07:26:10 AM
Deer are more active in their feeding patterns nocturnally no matter where they are, what time of the year it is, or if it's a feeder or a field, and they will always continue to feed, though more sparingly and more often on browse in the woods during the day when they aren't resting .  Grandma's feeder doesn't make them nocturnal.

Using that logic, we should ban cornfields...  or roads.   ;)

jeast

Quote from: Houndhead on January 10, 2014, 10:52:37 AM
I wish they would have made it a seperate season and tag from the archery. I was surprised by the 91-0 vote in the Assembly.

Why?

I have hunted with traditional gear and am a life member of the WTA and have zero issue with full inclusion. The idea that they will shoot all the deer is absurd. This just gives another option to folks to hunt with a device older than the compound. It's no real big deal. I will add I have permit and used one this last week and shot an old wise doe the quickest most human kill I have made with archery equipment. Just an option hound do not get caught up in the propaganda from the WBH. They are selfish self serving group of hunters that are not friends of conservation only themselves.

I just like the idea of increasing hunting opportunities, same reason as I would not like the muzzleloader and rifle season to become one and the same. A muzzleloader and a rifle are two different weapons, why not have a season for both? I wish they had a separate license for both. A compound bow and a crossbow are different weapons, why not have a season for both. I think having separate seasons would increase hunting opportunities, instead of making them one and the same. I think the state is missing out on a chance to raise additional revenue. There should be a separate license for bow, crossbow, rifle, muzzleloader, atla, wrist rocket, spear, ect........ Whatever people want to do, make them appreciate it by buying a licence specific to that season. Great way to increase revenue for the state.

Sorry hound, but I have to disagree here.  I think one of the major problems in the recent past was that many hunters quit hunting.  One of the main reasons they quit was because of all of the different rules regarding season, limits, etc. etc. etc.  Fishing too is on the decline, especially trout and walleye, mainly because it is almost hard to make sure you are legal in all aspects of all of the regulations.  People just quit rather than try to figure out legality. 

I would support a tax, license or permit for bird watching, hiking, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, bicycling etc. on state owned ground.  Why must the hunting/fishing people buy all of the licenses?  If it were not for hunting enthusiasts, there would not be turkeys in wisconsin, nor elk, nor a healthy deer herd.  If not for people buying conservation patrons licenses ( I am on my 24th year of buying cons. patron lic) we wouldn't have all of the land (19% of all wisconsin is state owned). License sales have been the main funding source for all of the DNR activities including land aquisition.

I think we should make the rules easier to follow.  Allow for high sensitivity areas to be controlled differently, but overall...I would like to fish for walleye on the mississippi without wondering what the slot size is between every lock and dam, what the length is I can keep...etc. I love the new hunting regs.  Much easier to follow than before.  More people will buy lic. if they could understand the rules better, rather than making more licenses and more seasons to confuse the situation. jmho
"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

Houndhead

Actually he is correct. In areas where baiting is allowed deer have learned to stay bedded until dark and then just head to the buffet. They need to travel more in the daylight to get their daily allowance without bait piles. If I'm not mistaken, baiting is not allowed where you live correct?

Houndhead

Quote from: jeast on January 11, 2014, 09:50:48 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on January 10, 2014, 10:52:37 AM

Why?

Sorry hound, but I have to disagree here.  I think one of the major problems in the recent past was that many hunters quit hunting.  One of the main reasons they quit was because of all of the different rules regarding season, limits, etc. etc. etc.  Fishing too is on the decline, especially trout and walleye, mainly because it is almost hard to make sure you are legal in all aspects of all of the regulations.  People just quit rather than try to figure out legality. 

I would support a tax, license or permit for bird watching, hiking, snow shoeing, cross country skiing, bicycling etc. on state owned ground.  Why must the hunting/fishing people buy all of the licenses?  If it were not for hunting enthusiasts, there would not be turkeys in wisconsin, nor elk, nor a healthy deer herd.  If not for people buying conservation patrons licenses ( I am on my 24th year of buying cons. patron lic) we wouldn't have all of the land (19% of all wisconsin is state owned). License sales have been the main funding source for all of the DNR activities including land aquisition.

I think we should make the rules easier to follow.  Allow for high sensitivity areas to be controlled differently, but overall...I would like to fish for walleye on the mississippi without wondering what the slot size is between every lock and dam, what the length is I can keep...etc. I love the new hunting regs.  Much easier to follow than before.  More people will buy lic. if they could understand the rules better, rather than making more licenses and more seasons to confuse the situation. jmho

I agree with much of what you say, but I don't think having a license for different weapons would be very confusing. It might simplify things.

Handles II

Quote from: Houndhead on January 11, 2014, 09:54:10 AM

Actually he is correct. In areas where baiting is allowed deer have learned to stay bedded until dark and then just head to the buffet. They need to travel more in the daylight to get their daily allowance without bait piles. If I'm not mistaken, baiting is not allowed where you live correct?

Just as they have learned to go to the cornfields in the evenings, just as they go to the natural grassy clearings in the woods in the evenings. And if someone is baiting, they can set their feeders to feed during daylight hours.
The reality is that deer are and always will be more actively moving and feeding during twilight hours. People who say they turn nocturnal because of feeding obviously don't know much about deer behavior.

jeast

Hound is correct.  In a completely "natural" state, deer are twilight animals, neither fully nocturnal nor fully diurnal.  Deer will bed down shortly after feeding well after dusk, at some point they will again get up and feed/water during night hours but also bed down shortly after dawn.  Hunting pressure can and will make animals nocturnal completely.  Feeding/baiting deer does not change their habits too much, other than change their natural fear of humans. It will also help keep weaker animals alive during brutally hard winters.  This in turn has a detrimental effect on the herd overall, survival of the fittest and all that.  Feeding can also increase the likely hood that disease will run rampant on a local herd, much like the CWD concerns in the south part of the State.  I know people enjoy seeing deer in their back yards, until that same herd starts wiping out trees and ornimental shrubs, then not so much.

In fact, feeding wild animals in our National parks out west is illegal. Why?  Because a fed bear is a dead bear.  Same holds true for most wild animals.  Although people think they are helping by feeding wild animals, in fact it usually creates far more harm than good. 

Much like many things humans percieve as good...like buying a brand new prius for the environment.  The energy consumed, the CO2 released to build that brand new car far, far, far outweighs any added environmental benefits from the few gallons of gas saved over the lifetime of that car.  We would be better off running our older cars until they have turned into scrap iron if you really care about the environment.  But, it makes some humans feel good about themselves, much like feeding wild animals. 

Same is true of the so-called "benefits" of wind towers...there really are not any benefits of wind towers except on a very small scale with private wind towers that are not on the main power grid.   True also of the so-called "Benefits" of corn ethanol.  But I regress...a lot sometimes...HA. ;D

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

bigG

Good post. I agree with the whole thing.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

Quote from: Handles II on January 11, 2014, 10:10:48 AM
Quote from: Houndhead on January 11, 2014, 09:54:10 AM

Just as they have learned to go to the cornfields in the evenings, just as they go to the natural grassy clearings in the woods in the evenings. And if someone is baiting, they can set their feeders to feed during daylight hours.
The reality is that deer are and always will be more actively moving and feeding during twilight hours. People who say they turn nocturnal because of feeding obviously don't know much about deer behavior.

Is it legal to feed and bait where you live and hunt?